Market profit is Terrain but not Jets - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
Lao Fei Mao

Reputation power: 5
Lao Fei Mao is on a distinguished road
Default Market profit is Terrain but not Jets

ED dedicates to develop all kinds of Jets simulator from old era to modern times. But the terrain developing lags quite behind. The caucasus is 10+years old, the Nevada and Normandy is still in Alpha stage. And we might wait another whole year to embrace the DSC World 2.5.....
I just want to say this is quite unwise market strategy. A new jet can only attract a few of players who love the jet. But a new terrain arena could absorb a bunch of players to try their flight in it. No matter casual one or hard core. More terrain, more freshing, more vitality, more profit. Don't just depends on the veteran to buy some classical jets to swell your wallet. And don't estrange the Steam platform. Speed up the terrian developing, Middle-east, Afghanistan, Siberia-Alaska, Korea peninsula, South-east Asia.....
Lao Fei Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:41 AM   #2
Rudel_chw

Reputation power: 10
Rudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really nice

The fact that not one third party has actually made a Map for DCS, should indicate that Map development is probably a worse deal than developing an aircraft ... my guess is that it takes quite a lot more man-hours to develop but the potential buyers dont want to pay much more than they do for a single plane.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:42 AM   #3
probad

probad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really nice

its hindered by the fact that moreso than aircraft, maps require ownership of the addon.
when there is the option between a free map and payware maps, there will always be a natural gravitation towards the lower entry barrier. the larger community is a resistive force against adoption of payware maps, which can lead to a negative feedback loop where nobody plays because few people play, and nobody buys because nobody plays.

this is readily visible even on caucasus just with the servers, servers tend to be empty until a few seeders decide to sit in and endure the 1v1s until leechers aggregate.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
Oscar Juliet

Reputation power: 4
Oscar Juliet will become famous soon enoughOscar Juliet will become famous soon enough

Always will be someone that is going to complain. Always going to be someone who is happy with what they got.

You have Nevada, Normandy and the updated Caucasus map screenshots. The F18 and Harrier are closer than ever. There is plenty of aircraft and plenty of terrain to have fun in.

I fly my A10c and have been for a long time. I run Nevada every now and then but still run 1.5 for stability. I'm far from bored.
Official Website

My Youtube Channel

My A10c Help Guide

I fly using CH products
Oscar Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Lao Fei Mao

Reputation power: 5
Lao Fei Mao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Juliet View Post
Always will be someone that is going to complain. Always going to be someone who is happy with what they got.

You have Nevada, Normandy and the updated Caucasus map screenshots. The F18 and Harrier are closer than ever. There is plenty of aircraft and plenty of terrain to have fun in.

I fly my A10c and have been for a long time. I run Nevada every now and then but still run 1.5 for stability. I'm far from bored.
--------Not just a complain, Just feel the the slow progress of terrain developing if compared with Jets developing. Currently we've got pretty number of jets, 2~3 new one each year. But the maps, whoops, only aging Caucasus is stable. The Nevada is still in alphal stage after 3 years work. I just worry and feel ED's maket strategy is not that right. They devote too much resources on Jets. But Maps are more attactive than jets. Maps can sell good price. I bet you would like to pay 100 dollar for detailed Iraq or Afghanistan to fly in your beloved A-10C.
Lao Fei Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
David OC

Reputation power: 11
David OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really nice

ED is just trying to get things right now for the future of DCS. Most of what you see in development is Alpha, think experimental, to get right now and to get the map tools right. These tools will be released to third parties when there more stable and the future direction is more set in stone moving forward.

I see glimpses of grandeur now with Normandy and tech such as Deferred Shading, once Caucasus is updated and moved to 2.5, we will then have DCS "somewhat" locked down the tools then perhaps will be available for third parties, then I see this will speed up map creation greatly.

Some of the maps you mention are in development, perhaps only the commercial side of ED's, TFC business tho.

Lao Fei Mao, There's just a great deal of new cutting edge tech involved here, that needs time to mature and to make sure it's the right direction for ED to keep going in for there future. If it's not right it will cost plenty to re-do the coding, as we have seen many sims in the past do and rushed out the door and now nowhere to be seen.

So it's not just about making a quick buck NOW, It's about laying down the right foundations (Think, building a house foundations) for the future.

-

Last edited by David OC; 06-18-2017 at 09:57 AM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
VZ_342

Reputation power: 1
VZ_342 will become famous soon enoughVZ_342 will become famous soon enoughVZ_342 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Fei Mao View Post
--------Not just a complain, Just feel the the slow progress of terrain developing if compared with Jets developing. Currently we've got pretty number of jets, 2~3 new one each year. But the maps, whoops, only aging Caucasus is stable. The Nevada is still in alphal stage after 3 years work. I just worry and feel ED's maket strategy is not that right. They devote too much resources on Jets. But Maps are more attactive than jets. Maps can sell good price. I bet you would like to pay 100 dollar for detailed Iraq or Afghanistan to fly in your beloved A-10C.
The Middle East is a very interesting area right now, heck yeah I'd pay $100 for it, and I have yet to fly the A10!
VZ_342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
shagrat
ED Translator

Reputation power: 48
shagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Fei Mao View Post
I just want to say this is quite unwise market strategy. A new jet can only attract a few of players who love the jet. But a new terrain arena could absorb a bunch of players to try their flight in it.
Do you have any thorough business or market analysis backing this statement, or do you extrapolate your personal preference as an indicator?

As far as I have seen while playing Eagle Dynamics Simulations for the past 10+ years many, many customers buy most, if not all planes and I have heard the "what should I do on the Nevada/Normandy map" argument a lot.

I agree an Afghanistan, Syria, Vietnam, Balkans, Middle-East, well actually any god damn place, that has seen a real life engagement in the last 50 years, most likely attracts more customers, yet the business strategy seems to be very sound, considering the fact, that the new graphics engine is still in its implementation phase and they already work on other maps, namely Strait of Hormuz (in the Middle-east) and an overhauled Caucasus map.
While they allow the other teams to finish the aircraft, they were working on for a long time, to generate cash flow...

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.2GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat
TM HOTAS Warthog
custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |
a hand made UFC and an AHCP

Last edited by shagrat; 06-18-2017 at 07:56 PM.
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #9
gavagai

gavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the rough

I'll pay for maps, no problem. But I'm not sure I would pay for a map a second time just to host it in multiplayer with a separate machine.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
NeilWillis
Veteran

Reputation power: 22
NeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of light

The issue hasn't been marketing strategy or anything else. It has been due to the fact that the base game is still under development, and will continue to be for some time to come yet.

Once 2.5 has been thoroughly debugged, you will see a sea change in development of both terrain and aircraft.

DCS World will probably continue to evolve for many years to come, but huge changes like the introduction of an entirely new graphics engine will cause issues all the way down the line for developers. I suspect a lot of map work has been shelved simply because the base code is still very volatile. Once it has settled down, things will move faster I expect.
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote