Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

So, you're saying that the MCG-TM doesn't have MaRS sensors, but uses simple buttons instead? That would go against the very VKB statements on this forum where (as far as I understood) it was said that the MCG-TM can be converted to an MCG-Pro (with what I presume is a PCB upgrade plus the mount).

I would thus presume that the sticks are the same, but the TM one has an adapter board which converts the analogue axis readings into the TM shift-register format.

No - that's what you're reading into what I am saying. Look at the image I shared above - the MCG TM uses MaRS. The Thrustmaster base just doesn't allow for analog axes. It's a limitation of the TM product, not of the VKB product. This has been stated many times.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the confusion is why. MCG-TM will use contactless MaRS ministicks, but they will not register as axes... only as buttons. It will be the same piece of hardware as used in the MCG-PRO, but not used to its full potential due to the TM base software limitations.

Some clarity

Good morning from the part of the world where morning comes first :)

OK let me clarify something.

- MaRS - Ma(gnetic) R(esistive)* S(ensor) - is a sort of proper name, same as Xerox or Hoover. VKB was the first game device maker who used this sort of sensors in their products, besides the very sensors were heavily customized for gaming needs, hence we gave them this name.

- However there are many other types and sorts of magnetic sensors; we are in no way trying to appropriate other people's inventions.

- So, every axis (analog) sensor we use is - quite correct - magnetic and therefore contactless. But not every such sensor can be called MaRS. Some sensors we use are made by ourselves, so we call them MaRS. Hats we use are made by world's top reputable manufacturers like Sony, not by ourselves.

- Are there any contact sensors at all in our products? Yes, there are: buttons.

(* - yes, resistive, not resonance. magnetic resonance is technology used in tomographic imaging, not in game devices)

Now, MCG TM vs MCG: same electronics, different connectivity and functionality based on innate limitations of TM base. Their limitations, not ours. Hence, even our hats that are perfectly contactless magnetic will behave as buttons when mounted on TM base. But we still use hats, not buttons there because contactless sensors live longer.

Edited by AeroGator

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

No - that's what you're reading into what I am saying. Look at the image I shared above - the MCG TM uses MaRS. The Thrustmaster base just doesn't allow for analog axes. It's a limitation of the TM product, not of the VKB product. This has been stated many times.

I'm just reading it the way it was written:

VKB uses MaRS (Magnetic Resonance Sensors) for all axes in the MCG/MCG PRO; for buttons and switches they use ALPS and OMRON.

Since there's no MCG-TM mentioned there (I presume due to the TM base not seeing these axes), it can be understood in different ways. Anyway, I'm glad it's just a misunderstanding. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't remember seeing them saying the MCG-TM could be made into an MCG-Pro... the limit as far as I understand it is the amount of buttons that the warthog base can handle.

It can be made into an MCG-Pro with an upgrade kit, but of course, the MCG Pro works only on the VKB base. The idea is that you can buy an MCG-TM grip for your current TM base, but if later you decide to invest in a VKB base (and throttle :) ), you don't have to buy a whole new MCG-Pro grip.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

It can be made into an MCG-Pro with an upgrade kit, but of course, the MCG Pro works only on the VKB base. The idea is that you can buy an MCG-TM grip for your current TM base, but if later you decide to invest in a VKB base (and throttle :) ), you don't have to buy a whole new MCG-Pro grip.

I remember that post about a magical circuit board for few dollars that will convert MCG-TM in MCG-PRO.

But are 4 "hardware" differences - the parts labeled in red in this drawings, between both versions, 2 is the mini-sticks that is no issue due that magic board, but 2 are 4 ways HAT's.

MCG-_TM-_PRO.jpg

That post don't mention upgrade for this 2 parts... :joystick:

Edited by Sokol1_br

status updates for the MCG?

Nope.

All we could, we did. Now it is all being made at sub-contracted factories.

All we can do is patrol the factories by regularly visiting them and giving kicks.

That's exactly where Ilya is leaving for right this very moment, a PCB factory.

Now all we (and you) can do is pray and wait.

If all factories do their job well, then we will ship on time.

Edited by AeroGator
  • Like 1

>

AeroGator

I remember that post about a magical circuit board for few dollars that will convert MCG-TM in MCG-PRO.

But are 4 "hardware" differences - the parts labeled in red in this drawings, between both versions, 2 is the mini-sticks that is no issue due that magic board, but 2 are 4 ways HAT's.

If I understood correctly, the thumb hat will be optional on the MCG-Pro (i.e. you'll get a button and the hat so that you can configure it as the original T-50 stick or the "Westernized" option). I guess then the other hat can be provided as well in this upgrade kit.

It won't be just "a few dollars", though.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Is this thing going to make it for December 1? It's a week away so I'd hope they know by now.

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

"By" Dec. - no, "In" Dec. - very likely. Everything is being made, all parts are being produced at different factories, and we're keeping patrolling them to see everything made well.

As soon as enough parts are produced, we're going to start final assembling in our own facility.

>

AeroGator

"By" Dec. - no, "In" Dec. - very likely. Everything is being made, all parts are being produced at different factories, and we're keeping patrolling them to see everything made well.

As soon as enough parts are produced, we're going to start final assembling in our own facility.

So the December 1 release date from the website is now incorrect? Any chance these actually get shipped to North America in 2017?

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

The MCG pro is just too much really.

Is this grip available in metal?..?.... did I see that written some where in the posts?

What base does this analogue wonder go with?

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Trooper

For now is not planned all metal version - what demands specific costly molds.

MCG PRO has foldable trigger and "hand brake" lever in metal (ZAMAC used in Cougar/Warthog).

What base does this analogue wonder go with?

Gunfighter base. Was teased MCG PRO in Gladiator PRO base, but is not listed in their main (Russian) site, and more Gladiator production is postponed for 2018.

http://shop.vkb-sim.pro/shop/controllers/gunfighter-series/

Edited by Sokol1_br

So the December 1 release date from the website is now incorrect? Any chance these actually get shipped to North America in 2017?

Can we get official confirmation of this? Is the comment,

"By" Dec. - no, "In" Dec. - very likely.

to be read as an official statement that, "Dec 1 date has now been bumped; new date in Dec possible" or something else?

Can we get official confirmation of this? Is the comment,

to be read as an official statement that, "Dec 1 date has now been bumped; new date in Dec possible" or something else?

I would like to know as well.

Want to purchase, but the futures a bit clouded, waiting for reviews and in stock before forking over the big bucks.

Edited by stryker7314

Just got the email from VKB about pre-order pay dates being pushed to Dec 15... I guess that's official.

Sucks though, was hoping to have the McG before all my time off for the Christmas Holidays. Don't see them getting in hand before the new year.

I don't like their comments about patents submission being part of the reason for delay I will be pleasantly surprised if I get my Gunfighter before 2018

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

These delays are wearing thin, I was hoping for an early December shipping date, I guess it will be 2018 for sure now.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I don't care if it gets released 3-5 months from no. All I care is that when it comes to sale, I can just order one, pay for it and then just relax and wait it to get shipped etc.

What I mean is that I don't want to see that some day when I go to check availability, it says "0€" or "Out of Stock" and I need to race to get some future batch....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Going Official

Guys first of all, I personally understand your feelings and I would also be getting somewhat worn out waiting.

This was an un-official part of the message.

HOWEVER.

We are NOT getting stuck in production and are NOT holding anything back.

We are NOT playing possum suddenly going off radar for more than a month leaving you all in the dark.

We are trying to be as open and frank as possible, and we appreciate your understanding (and we believe in friendly nature of your grumbling :huh: ).

Now,

MCGs are being produced at appointed factories as planned.

VKB engineers in different countries are in the meantime wasting not a minute writing/testing/debugging the firmware/-s.

Our HQ workshop is like an operation theater right before the lights are on.

No screw-ups in the schedule so far.

Patent paperwork is a pain though.

It is not going to be a show breaker but still it can move the schedule a few days either way.

Internet payment systems tend to be sweet to the buyers but are as bitchy as can be to the sellers. We take the funds on day 1, then we don't prove the goods are shipped by day 15 -> we're in deep kimchi. Been there once, don't wish to repeat the experience.

We are also undergoing some tectonic company restructuring. It might not be visible from outside, and it is not meant to be, but as the result of this change we hope we will once and forever lay the end to "out of stock", "not available", "not in this (local) market", etc. situations.

Takes time, costs dear, but after the initial turbulence ebbs down there's going to be regularly restocking storage facilities in Europe and USA, and more dealerships in more remote outposts.

That's going to happen thanks to your support throughout all these years.

Thank you all for understanding.

>

AeroGator