Wheel Brakes arent strong enough?

Delareon

Is it just me or are the Wheel Brakes far to weak?

Did a few Runway Landings and had a hard time bringin this Bird to a full stop.

I had Speed Brakes fully extended and hitting the Brakes hard but the Runway is barely enough to bring it to an stop.

Anti-Skid is on so slipping is not the problem.

The engines idle RPMs change after touchdown, but remain higher when you don't move the throttle out of idle briefly, and then back to idle. If you don't do that, you're tracking down the RWY with with RPMs too high for a nominal rollout...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Also use airbrakes, and pull back or forward on the stick to utilize aerobraking effects from your control surfaces. And yeah,double check to make sure your brake axes aren't inverted.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Make sure you are full idle instead of fake idle.

edit

The engines idle RPMs change after touchdown, but remain higher when you don't move the throttle out of idle briefly, and then back to idle. If you don't do that, you're tracking down the RWY with with RPMs too high for a nominal rollout...

Edited by Preendog

Im using Pedals and was about 110 knots until i startet breaking roughly half way through the Runway in Batumi and was at full Speed Brakes.

At the end of the runway i had still around 80 knots so maybe i was to fast at the beginning but it still felt like i had no brakes at all.

So fake Idle sounds like a solution i will try. Thanks to all of you.

Is this Bug or Feature?

Edited by Delareon

Brakes on the DCS F/A-18 are definitely wrong. You need approx 50% more landing roll than the real F/A-18.

The problem seems to be the wrong antiskid simulation since the DCS F/A-18 needs the same distance with antiskid and without antiskid and locked wheels.

This problem has been reported quite a few times already but for some weird reason ED doesn't consider this a bug and moves such threads into the whish list ?!?!?

There's no 'fake' idle. In flight the engines are at flight idle and you are not supposed to land with idle thrust. If you reduce thrust to idle immediately after touchdown the engine will be in ground idle.

@Harlikwin, if you push the stick forward you will unload the mainwheels and decrease the brakes effectiveness even further.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

When you say, 'move the throttles out of idle briefly' do you mean, with Warthog Throttles, lift them over the gate to stop and than back to idle? That does sound a questionable procedure.

Quickly add throttle then back to idle immediately after wheels down. You should see your RPM drop from 70'sh to 65'sh. This will cut down your stopping distance.

***HEY LOOK HERE***

I have never had a problem stopping by the end of the runway using full back stick and airbrakes for maximum drag, then brakes at around 50 - 60 knots. But I couldn't say whether the rollout length is longer than real life.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

So if bbrz is right, the correct procedure is to touch down with a bit of thrust, just like on a carrier landing but without giving full thrust after touch down....

The minimum landing distance is achieved by performing a normal unflared landing.

You don't land with 'a bit of thrust', you simply keep approach thrust, speed and vertical speed down to touchdown.

As soon as you have touched down, you pull the thrustlevers to idle and apply full braking.

@Preendog. Don't know where you've found this table. Why don't you simply use the performance tables from the -1?

Edited by bbrz

I did a pretty extensive post with lots of testing on the anti-skid before on controlled enviorement (as it gets) gettings the same distances with a-skid on and off, it was dismissed and i let it go, you can find if in this forum if you search for it

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

The minimum landing distance is achieved by performing a normal unflared landing.

You don't land with 'a bit of thrust', you simply keep approach thrust, speed and vertical speed down to touchdown.

As soon as you have touched down, you pull the thrustlevers to idle and apply full braking.

@Preendog. Don't know where you've found this table. Why don't you simply use the performance tables from the -1?

you where right. it seems i had forgotten that you dont really land a F-18, you ram it into the ground. If you do this everything is fine.

Sure you can fine tune it maybe with different speeds and maybe some airbraking using your control surfaces (depending on your speed) but the main point is just ram it into the ground, dont try to land it like a plane.

The brakes seems still a bit to weak for my taste but now they work at least.

Brakes on the DCS F/A-18 are definitely wrong. You need approx 50% more landing roll than the real F/A-18.

The problem seems to be the wrong antiskid simulation since the DCS F/A-18 needs the same distance with antiskid and without antiskid and locked wheels.

This problem has been reported quite a few times already but for some weird reason ED doesn't consider this a bug and moves such threads into the whish list ?!?!?

This 120%

I never understood why ED discarded this so quickly every time. I know they know much more than all of us about the Hornet, but when something is really off maybe it is worth looking.

Make sure you are full idle instead of fake idle.

edit

I believe this is the cause of the problem for most people. ED has correctly modeled the mechanical detents of the hornet throttle system. When weight is off wheels two metal tabs extend to prevent the throttle being pulled to true idle or “ground” idle. Ground idle is around 64 percent rpms and flight idle is around 72 rpms and the fan at that power setting is a significant amount of thrust the brakes are working against.

One downside of this being a simulator is that our rpms will stay at the incensed power setting until weight on wheels is achieved and you increase throttle shortly and then fully retract them.

Hope this helps.

I believe this is the cause of the problem for most people. ED has correctly modeled the mechanical detents of the hornet throttle system. When weight is off wheels two metal tabs extend to prevent the throttle being pulled to true idle or “ground” idle. Ground idle is around 64 percent rpms and flight idle is around 72 rpms and the fan at that power setting is a significant amount of thrust the brakes are working against.

One downside of this being a simulator is that our rpms will stay at the incensed power setting until weight on wheels is achieved and you increase throttle shortly and then fully retract them.

Hope this helps.

No, I always put ground idle and still the effect of the breaks is close to nothing

One downside of this being a simulator is that our rpms will stay at the incensed power setting until weight on wheels is achieved...

Exactly the same happens in the real F/A-18. ;)

That said, given the very low thrust the engine develops at these low RPMs, the difference in landing run would be marginal and wouldn't account for a 50% increase.

Again, the main problem is that full antiskid braking and sliding along with locked wheels results in the same distance being use which is a of course a plain and simple bug,

Exactly the same happens in the real F/A-18. ;)

That said, given the very low thrust the engine develops at these low RPMs, the difference in landing run would be marginal and wouldn't account for a 50% increase.

Again, the main problem is that full antiskid braking and sliding along with locked wheels results in the same distance being use which is a of course a plain and simple bug,

I’ve turned many a Jet for sticky flight idle detents :) no fun for any party

Alright so can we all agree that the brakes are terrible, the a-skid is useless and it needs to be looked at?

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

Alright so can we all agree that the brakes are terrible, the a-skid is useless and it needs to be looked at?

We can agree, but not ED, since they consider this obvious bug as 'correct as is'....

I've definitely noticed the same thing. Every time I land the F-18 even below 130 kts I'm praying that the thing will stop before the end of the runway. Depending on where I put it down at it usually takes 75% of the runway to get it stopped. It shouldn't take 75% of the runway to get a Hornet slowed down and stopped. I also think that the brakes are bugged (or at least a bit off). Just a small tweak would make it feel right.

Why have anti-skid if you can't apply enough brakes to make it kick in or be useful?

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |