My BAUR BRD-F3 Rudder Pedals arrived today. Unboxing Pics!

Just need a Jetseat now, and your kit is complete. :-)

That's on my list! ... and so is a 1080 and Oculus Rift. :cry:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the next step is to build a wooden base to a) allow a more stable platform for the seat, and b) an area to bolt down the pedal set. I imagine the platform to be ~6ft long (long enough to capture the back end of the seat, and the furthest edge of rudder base plate), 2in wider than the Obutto seat on either side, and about 5 or 6in off the ground; basically a stable, wooden box. The Obutto seat can be bolted down with 1in rigid conduit pipe straps (thanks ATAG_Invictus for the hint).

However, the pedal set should be movable to some extent, back and forth, depending on what actual pedals I am going to use (e.g., the WWII German style vs. the Su-35 modern style ones). I would like to have a sliding platform that I can secure quickly and easily with pins, rather than screws (needless to say, the pedal base need to be securely screwed down onto that sliding platform to begin with.

Does anyone here have an idea how to accomplish such build? Have to admit, I am not very handy at that stuff. :)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Create a box frame and then put a solid lid on the top.

Get Home Depot or similar to cut all your pieces to length to make it easier. As they should all be straight lengths it makes it easier.

Not sure best method of joining.

I misread your post. It's the sliding mechanism you want help with. I have an idea how to do this. Make a tray for the pedals that is same width and from same material as box lid.

Cut 2 notches on either side of pedal tray at front and back. Make 4 small wood pieces same size as the cut out notches. Place these on the box. The pedal tray notches sit into these. The second set of notches on the pedal tray would allow you to lift and move it to the next position.

It's not a sliding mechanism, but should be quite easy to do and would take less than a minute to move the pedals.

Mark

Great ideas, McG and Sokol!

Sokol - visualization always helps, so this is useful, too!

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

You didn't buy the cat did you? You can get them for free.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

You didn't buy the cat did you? You can get them for free.

Cats come from a box, they were put there by a man, in the factory downtown... :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

rrohde, it may be as simple as board on top of the board with peg holes that are lined up. Or you can use drawer (sliding) rails, again with peg holes that line up.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Good idea, hansangb; of course it needs to be sturdy enough to allow me to "kick" my rudders. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Good idea, hansangb; of course it needs to be sturdy enough to allow me to "kick" my rudders. :)

Here's what I'm talking about. IN the image below, imagine cutting the wood south of the rudder. And making that slide up and down via rails or just lying on top. The peg holes can steady the rudder. Does that make sense?

oaqi5ae.jpg

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hi rrohde, just offering another option for securing your pedals. I like to be more flexible in my configuration so I used some repositionable sticky pads to secure the pedals to my floor. The ones I use are called nano pads and they do a pretty good job - I can kick the pedals around quite a bit and they won't budge. My pedals are Slaw's BF109 pedals, which I guess is similar in weight with Baur's. I got from Baur his BRD-N center mounted joystick option and similarly use the sticky pads to secure them to the floor. The stick pads are reusable so you can just wash it out and use it again :)

I go to this website to get them - http://caligoo.de/Nano-Pad-in-verschiedenen-Farben

• Like 1

Here's what I'm talking about. IN the image below, imagine cutting the wood south of the rudder. And making that slide up and down via rails or just lying on top. The peg holes can steady the rudder. Does that make sense?

oaqi5ae.jpg

I see! That's a good idea; definitely going to consider that! Thanks. :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Hi rrohde, just offering another option for securing your pedals. I like to be more flexible in my configuration so I used some repositionable sticky pads to secure the pedals to my floor. The ones I use are called nano pads and they do a pretty good job - I can kick the pedals around quite a bit and they won't budge. My pedals are Slaw's BF109 pedals, which I guess is similar in weight with Baur's. I got from Baur his BRD-N center mounted joystick option and similarly use the sticky pads to secure them to the floor. The stick pads are reusable so you can just wash it out and use it again :)

I go to this website to get them - http://caligoo.de/Nano-Pad-in-verschiedenen-Farben

So even when you kick your rudders from the shallow angle of your feet (since they're not coming down "hard" from the top), the rudders won't budge? Interesting... Thanks for the idea! :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

This is how I secured my pedals to the bare floor, and still how I secure them to the plate on my wheelstand.

https://www.amazon.com/Command-Picture-Hanging-12-Strips-17204-12ES/dp/B00LW1APOC

When you're pushing at the pedals from an angle the shearing force isn't enough to dislodge these velcro strips. And they easily tear off being velcro, and are easy to remove if you have to remove them completely.