A-10C - Instant Action - Strike

corvinus

Has anyone tried the A10-C Strike mission, which is part of the Instant Action missions that comes with the Persian Gulf map?

When I try this mission the F16s providing SEAD kill the SA-6 radars. However after that they get themselves killed. This leaves me and my wingman to eliminate three remaining SA-13 threats, before we can engage the tanks (which is the task of the A-10Cs).

Is this a bug in the mission?

Probably intentional. The SA-13 is an optically guided SHORAD system which the A-10C is capable of dealing with. The HARM missile is carried by SEAD F-16's is not capable of targeting Strella's due to their lack of radar emission.

Typical loadout for SEAD F-16:

Sniper / HTS / ECM pods

2 x AGM-88

2 x Tanks

4 x A-A

The idea of SEAD is to disable enemy radars or force them to stop emitting long enough to carry out an attack.

What I don't get is why the F-16's do not dodge the SA-13 missiles. The track radar appears on the RWR in time. At least the A-10C has a enough time to turn away and fly outside of the WEZ. I expected the F16's to RTB as their mission was complete. Guess it doesn't matter much if the A-10C has to take out the SA-13s ...