F/A-18C Pilot Kneeboard

G'day,

Many thanks to ED for including the pilot in the cockpit. I think it is vital for VR immersion.

The kneeboard for me came up with the default "missing texture" image on the pilots left thigh.

I know that the Hornet is very much a work in progress, but now that I am starting to build missions for the Hornet I wanted to put mission info on the kneeboard but couldn't in its present state. So for the missing texture... why?

A quick check of the .EDM did show an entry "pilot_f18_fp_kneeboard". Excellent! Check the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip and its not there. Confirmed with the log entry from loading a mission;

2018-06-11 02:13:07.693 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'pilot_f18_fp_kneeboard' not found. Asked from 'NGMODEL'

WARNING: Use at your own discretion. The next process requires modifying a default file. Back it up before modifying it.

Lets add it in...

Created a 768x1024 .dds texture file, and added this to the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip file.

Success!

IMPORTANT: The FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip is read on the first DCS World load. Any change to the .zip will not stick until DCS World is exited and started again. (Unless anyone knows how to force a reload of the .zip without closing DCS? Just closing Mission editor does not force a reload.)

(I've tried putting the .dds by itself into "saved games" and in a FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES directory using the full pathway, but it did not find the "missing" .dds.)

41234524_F-18PilotKneeboard.thumb.jpg.67eccdb66bf1eb90315b7835f7dde2fd.jpg

Edited by BrassEm
Added info on updating a change to the kneepad.

Hi BrassEm,

I basically followed your instructions by setting up a new 768x1024 in Photoshop. Into the new layer, copy across a page from a check list and save it as 'pilot_F18_FP_kneeboard.dds' which is then moved in to the main cockpit texture zip file.

'...\\DCS World OpenBeta2.5\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures'

attachment.php?attachmentid=187461&stc=1&d=1528922161

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Gizmondo ...

What if I wanted to have multiple pages on the kneeboard how would that work?

Ryzen 9 3900X @4.6Ghz | ASUS STRIX ROG 570-F Gaming | 32GB HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK2-16 DDR4-3200 | Corsair Force MP600 1TB (OS and Games) | MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio | HP Reverb G2

You dont need to do all this stuff. Just put it in temptextures,

I've already made kneeboards for the hornet:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301647/

you can put anything you want

save it as DDS at the right size and the right name

Cheers

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...