A new tweak for Reverb to keep it smooth

GunSlingerAUS

I use motion vector because switching it to auto leads to horrible stuttering and ghosting when looking out to the left and right of the cockpit. Having motionvector works great with no stuttering or ghosting when looking out to the left and right.

When you use motion vector you are still getting 90fps , because what motion vector does is fill in the frames in between. So you might think you are getting only 45 fps when in fact you are getting 90 fps because one frame is filled in. Motionvector isn't just like capping your frame rate at 45 fps because it's filling in frames in between.

Very interesting. So to try this I simply remove // from the start of that line, and change auto to motionvector? Will give it a shot once you confirm, thank you.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting. So to try this I simply remove // from the start of that line, and change auto to motionvector? Will give it a shot once you confirm, thank you.

Just do it so it looks like this (below). I also use Notepad++ to edit it with because it's much easier. Here's the link for Notepad++ if you don't have it.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

:doh::lol:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

:doh::lol:

Note that I have tried this before, but my results weren't quite as lovely. I found that this:

//"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

Is MUCH smoother than this:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

Will try this tonight:

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Will try this tonight:

So I just tried the motionvector option, and my framerate dropped by half, down from 60 to 30. Pretty damn crappy. Back to 2D for me!

So I just tried the motionvector option, and my framerate dropped by half, down from 60 to 30. Pretty damn crappy. Back to 2D for me!

That's strange, it runs smooth as butter for me and like I already mentioned you are not capping it at 30 fps because frames are being filled in. You should try 90Hz with motion vector because that's what mine is set to. I haven't tried motionvector with 60Hz because it's really smooth at 90Hz without stuttering or ghosting.

Edit: I just looked at you specs and you have a better rig then me too. I only have a SkyLake 6700k overclocked to 4.5 Ghz, but I do have a Geforce 2080ti like you.

Edited by Crunchy

gunslingerAus Try setting the headset back to 90hz, motion vector will give you a fairly constant 45fps, if configured right

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

A never ending Story.

My old buddy Toykilla ;)

You've seen me say goodbye once before, during a fit of frustration, but this time I've actually unplugged my HMD and am enjoying DCS in stunning in 2D. It really is a beauty to behold.

Your third HP Reverb now?

No issues on the GA Server yesterday in my F/A-18C, with 45FPS Motionreprojection @ Motionvector

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

A never ending Story.

Your third HP Reverb now?

No issues on the GA Server yesterday in my F/A-18C, with 45FPS Motionreprojection @ Motionvector

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Funnily enough, I actually do own 3 Reverbs.i had to come back to check out the new WMR features. As expected, they didn't solve the problems.

Note that I have tried this before, but my results weren't quite as lovely. I found that this:

//"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

Is MUCH smoother than this:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

Will try this tonight:

That's strange, because the "//" tells SteamVR for WMR to ignore that line.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The frame rate isn't what matters, its how it looks that matters. When I turn Motion Vectoring off, I can get FPS anywhere from the 60s to low 100s, but everything is still smeared, with lots of ghosting and jittering. Turn it back on, the FPS counter drops to a solid 45 FPS, but the image is smooth as glass with only occasional ghosting in high-demand areas. That's why I keep saying to people that they should try shutting the FPS counters off for a little bit and see how things actually look and feel. No point in chasing the FPS counter dragon if things don't look good, and there's no point in getting frustrated with the FPS counter not going up when the actual image you're seeing has very little wrong with it. "Use the force, Luke!" :D

I realize that approach is often dismissed as hippy-dippy hocus pocus by some, but give it a try. Its easy to let the FPS counter get you frustrated and then you start focusing on the slightest of faults. Get rid of that distraction and try going with what your eyes are telling you. I run into this kind of thing all the time with training new guys to troubleshoot complex avionics issues. They have a tendency to jump right into a manual for hours without taking the first step, which is to go and actually look at the airplane and see what their eyes and ears are telling them. ;)

Edited by eaglecash867

The frame rate isn't what matters, its how it looks that matters. When I turn Motion Vectoring off, I can get FPS anywhere from the 60s to low 100s, but everything is still smeared, with lots of ghosting and jittering. Turn it back on, the FPS counter drops to a solid 45 FPS, but the image is smooth as glass with only occasional ghosting in high-demand areas. That's why I keep saying to people that they should try shutting the FPS counters off for a little bit and see how things actually look and feel. No point in chasing the FPS counter dragon if things don't look good, and there's no point in getting frustrated with the FPS counter not going up when the actual image you're seeing has very little wrong with it. "Use the force, Luke!" :D

It's smooth as glass because it's not like a 45 fps cap like you get with some programs. Some of the frames you are getting are being filled in instead. Take a look at this YouTube clip (below).

Edited by Crunchy

Yes and the Display runs still in Ultra Smooth 90Hz Refresh Rate.

It's also important to deactivate Hyperthreading to use the full potential of every Core.

@ micsmotionsimulator

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

Yes and the Display runs still in Ultra Smooth 90Hz Refresh Rate.

It's also important to deactivate Hyperthreading to use the full potential of every Core.

@ micsmotionsimulator

You mean deactivating Hyperthreading Bios? There are no software solutions for doing that?

I have I9 9900K running at 5ghz all cores. Are you sure turning off HT will improve performance in DCS VR? I managed to make a stable clock at 5Ggz, so I'm pretty familiar with tuning my PC. BUT, I'd rather not make changes in BIOS unless I have to. I also play X-Plane 11 in VR, do you know if it will help there also?

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

It's smooth as glass because it's not like a 45 fps cap like you get with some programs. Some of the frames you are getting are being filled in instead. Take a look at this YouTube clip (below).

Understood. Just trying to elaborate on my point that chasing the FPS counter dragon in VR isn't the best way to evaluate performance. People getting upset over the counter not going over 45 are sort of like the glass cockpit pilots I deal with fairly regularly who spend so much of their time staring at the screens that they forget to look out the window. :)

You mean deactivating Hyperthreading Bios? There are no software solutions for doing that?

I have I9 9900K running at 5ghz all cores. Are you sure turning off HT will improve performance in DCS VR? I managed to make a stable clock at 5Ggz, so I'm pretty familiar with tuning my PC. BUT, I'd rather not make changes in BIOS unless I have to. I also play X-Plane 11 in VR, do you know if it will help there also?

Yes in Bios you have to turn out HT .My System runs @5.1GHz Static on 8 Cores better with DCS VR.

@ micsmotionsimulator

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's impossible to havent any issue with WMR and Windows 10 1903 or 1909 compilation. Its known bug and it concerns Reverb and Odyssey and Windows Mixed Reality.

In DCS is less visible than in IL-2 but its present also. Left screen is distorted, something like this:

uoukPmml.jpg

In DCS is visible on trees and horizon.

can confirm i get the distorted instruments as well...

Yes in Bios you have to turn out HT .My System runs @5.1GHz Static on 8 Cores better with DCS VR.

@ micsmotionsimulator

Ok, I will check it out. Probably after the weekend cause I'm going away some days.

Hopefully it will have some positive impact in X-Plane too.

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

It's impossible to havent any issue with WMR and Windows 10 1903 or 1909 compilation. Its known bug and it concerns Reverb and Odyssey and Windows Mixed Reality.
For anybody jumping into this thread at the end for clarity that is only when running the WMR device at 60Hz

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Disabling HT in BIOS made absolutely no difference at all to my performance in games, so I would leave it on for apps that do use it.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Disabling HT in BIOS made absolutely no difference at all to my performance in games, so I would leave it on for apps that do use it.

Same. No difference for me either.

The main benefit would be in thermals, disabling HT will reduce a little the core temps which can be helpful when pushing for a best overclock.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Same. No difference for me either.

It's a bit of old knowledge that is now pretty much outdated. Years ago it affected a couple of games, I think CS was one, but I don't think it affects any in 2020.