Graphics in DCS trailers

Stealth29U.K

hi everyone

I just wondered how do they get the gfx to look so good on these DCS trailers? , I mean im using the recommended system for high gfx settings and im maxed out on a gtx1070 but the graphics look not as good as like some of their stuff they show and they say its actual gameplay most of the time. Great sim though, Thanks E.D, and many thanks too to the "Aerobatics Online" team for hosting a great server(s):thumbup:

The trailers possibly have some color correction and sharpening filters?

I shot and recorded this in the raw (No filters) 1440P @ 60fps.

YouTube compresses it down. If you watch this full screen @1440 it does not look as good as it does in game. Looks very good if left small tho.

Artists filter for a compromised balance for large and small etc.

This is what it looks like when playing around with color correction and sharpening then up loading, possibly to much here, it really pops.

I only tinker around with this stuff.;)

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Good editing and some color correction, all games do this for their promos, it's meant more for attracting new costumers than it is keeping old ones. Plus DCS is an ongoing type of project, so the people who the play the game know what the graphics look like without the minor enhancements so it sticks out more to them, Whereas a new game can get away with it easier because nobody has played it before so they have nothing to reference

• ED Team
Good editing and some color correction, all games do this for their promos, it's meant more for attracting new costumers than it is keeping old ones. Plus DCS is an ongoing type of project, so the people who the play the game know what the graphics look like without the minor enhancements so it sticks out more to them, Whereas a new game can get away with it easier because nobody has played it before so they have nothing to reference

Just want to chime in here and say that there is no color correction applied to any footage in official DCS trailers/videos.

Just want to chime in here and say that there is no color correction applied to any footage in official DCS trailers/videos.

So how do they look so good, especially yours?:thumbup: Are there extra settings you have access to?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• ED Team

Of course not, but key factors make it look good:

Max settings (only I may have visibility set to Ultra, not "Extreme).

Gamma in-game is at 1.7.

And the biggest factor in-game is time of day. Pretty much all footage is done at early morning and/or evening in-game to get that nice yellow and warm look.

Everything else is just a good mix of camera angles and zoom level. :)

One thing I have noticed with almost everyone's screenshots and me in game... is there are lots of "jaggies" like AA isn't working well.

Do you have MSAA or better yet SSAA on?

That's one of the problems I'm not having.

msaa and ssaa are very punishing in terms of frames, even a titan xp and a 8700k at 5ghz cant keep above 60 with both enabled in 3440x1440

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

oh thanks everyone for the replies, whatever or however their doing it looks amazing ,im gonna have to learn a bit about this I think, its the 1st Mig29 right at the start of the new "DCS combined arms" trailer that really got my attention,

thanks again,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNWXWOWspYQ

Edited by Stealth29(U.K)

I was going to answer but I guess the guys at ED did it first.

In my experience I find that low light scenes at dawn and dusk create reflections and warm colors like in the trailers. Also shadows on the map and trees which give a lot of volume and realism to the trailers.

On the other hand, if you get the same shots at noon, everything will look plain, since you don't have reflections or shadows.

The quality is still there of course, but the full illusion of "epicness" is created with the light play.

By the way, really good job in the production team!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Everything on youtube will look worse than it really is, everything's recompressed, no matter how good the upload source file it is, youtube so far does not have option to stream original source.

Indeed, I haven't noticed any myself ever, but it's good to have official confirmation for those who are not sure.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

2k res and reshade ..lol

Try 2k 1440 big differance from 1080p.

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• ED Team

Concerning youtube, even though you only have a 1080p monitor, you could (and should?) still watch videos on youtube at 1440p and above because the bitrate on the video will be higher, which in turns means just overall better image quality and less artifacts (such as scenes with a ton of trees and small details). :)

Concerning youtube, even though you only have a 1080p monitor, you could (and should?) still watch videos on youtube at 1440p and above because the bitrate on the video will be higher, which in turns means just overall better image quality and less artifacts (such as scenes with a ton of trees and small details). :)

Thanks for the tip, I will do that from now on.

• 2 weeks later...
Of course not, but key factors make it look good:

Max settings (only I may have visibility set to Ultra, not "Extreme).

Gamma in-game is at 1.7.

And the biggest factor in-game is time of day. Pretty much all footage is done at early morning and/or evening in-game to get that nice yellow and warm look.

Everything else is just a good mix of camera angles and zoom level. :)

I'm more impressed about FPS with that kind of settings.

What rig do you use? Or there is some video editing magic behind it?