HMD not centered in VR

DDSSTT

And you say the JHMCS centering changes when you look say 90 right and then recenter the VR view in DCs?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

On the KEY BINDING pages, go to the UI section and look for VR center and VR zoom.

Bind each of these to a separate button on your joystick and this should solve your problem.

I don’t think you’re understanding his issue. VR centre centres your view compared to the aircraft/world but doesn’t effect where the JHMCS appears in your vision as that should always be in the centre of your view.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I don’t think you’re understanding his issue. VR centre centres your view compared to the aircraft/world but doesn’t effect where the JHMCS appears in your vision as that should always be in the centre of your view.

Exactly, VR Center doesn't effect HMD because the HMD is centered on the panel on not your view, so if the VR headset doesn't sit perfectly on your face, the HMD will never be centered. That's the conclusion I've come to. Since I guess I have a messed up face and a slight astigmatism in my right eye, I am screwed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

Exactly, VR Center doesn't effect HMD because the HMD is centered on the panel on not your view, so if the VR headset doesn't sit perfectly on your face, the HMD will never be centered. That's the conclusion I've come to. Since I guess I have a messed up face and a slight astigmatism in my right eye, I am screwed.

Im not sure about that. You said this

When I turn my head 90° to the right and recenter, it lines up. when I look to the front and recenter it goes up to the left. Its almost like the "Center" of my pilot's view does not align with where I am sitting even when I am looking straight and level in the cockpit.

Which suggests to me that it might be something to do with the orientation of your setup compared to your sensors (assuming Rift) rather than how the HMD sits on your noggin.

Proud owner of:

Im not sure about that. You said this

Which suggests to me that it might be something to do with the orientation of your setup compared to your sensors (assuming Rift) rather than how the HMD sits on your noggin.

I have HTC Vive.

WITHOUT HMD on, and my VR centered, if I shuffle in my seat slightly to the left or to the right the HUD moves left or right in my sight picture. So for proper HUD alignment, I must have my sensor box positioned as nearly in alignment with how I sit, my face aligned in the direction I normally look, then re-center VR world.

Once that is done, I may have to shift left or right in my seat to get proper HUD alignment.

Then HMD comes on.

Looking straight ahead, as the crosshair "+" lifts just above the top of the HUD the HMD pops up.

It is perfectly centered.

You "may" have some alignment issues before you check the HMD.

Re-cap:

I would reboot the computer.

Repair DCS.

Make sure update is in order.

Align sensor.

Recenter DCS in VR.

Shift for proper HUD alignment.

Then re-check HMD alignment.

The shifting of the headset on your face will not realign anything. The sensor shifts to recenter what you had, and you are left with just an uncomfortable feeling on your face.

Hope it helps.

More Wags improvements on the HMD are coming.

Are you saying the HUD symbology moves compared to the background when you shift in your seat?

Proud owner of:

Yes. If I shift too far to the right in my seat, keeping head straight forward, no side to side looking, the HUD symbology goes off the left of the HUD and visa versa if I shift too far left in my seat.

The cockpit and the HUD glass do not move, only the lettering inside on the HUD display. That is just VR perspective I believe. I don't think there is anything wrong, that's just the nature of VR.

I did not notice that behavior with the HMD. May have to check that again. HMD seemed, best I can recall, to stay put, like the cockpit, unless you move your head. But in every case, it was centered, not off to one side, when I had my head looking straight forward, and was centered in my seat so that the HUD symbology in the glass was centered.

Edited by captflyby

Yes. If I shift too far to the right in my seat, keeping head straight forward, no side to side looking, the HUD symbology goes off the left of the HUD and visa versa if I shift too far left in my seat.

The cockpit and the HUD glass do not move, only the lettering inside on the HUD display. That is just VR perspective I believe. I don't think there is anything wrong, that's just the nature of VR.

I did not notice that behavior with the HMD. May have to check that again. HMD seemed, best I can recall, to stay put, like the cockpit, unless you move your head. But in every case, it was centered, not off to one side, when I had my head looking straight forward, and was centered in my seat so that the HUD symbology in the glass was centered.

That’s not how VR works for me at all. It sounds really weird that the cockpit don’t move but the symbology inside it does... this seems really weird. What happens when you lean forwards or lean to the side while in the sim. Does the viewpoint move inside the cockpit as it would?

Proud owner of:

I should have explained my VR setup for you. I have one (1) sensor, about 6 feet away, directly in my line of sight as I am seated in the cockpit.

I can turn left or right all the way to look back at either leading edge wing.

For me, one sensor is all that I need.

Deano87, I'm not sure how to respond.

If I moved my head and the cockpit moved with it, that would not be real world at all.

If the cockpit moved left when you look left, there would be no point in VR, as you would still never be able to look out a side window.

The cockpit, once set up with sensor(s) has to remain stationery.

Just like in real life, if you lean to far to the left, you lose some of the sight picture in your HUD.

Same to the right.

This is exaggerated if you are sitting slightly to the left or right in your chair.

All I was saying, is that if you do not have your sight picture lined up straight, when looking directly at your HUD, with everything centered, then you "might" not have the HMD centered either, as it centers with the rest of the cockpit - "as long as you head is stationery, looking forward, and not moving, aligned with your HUD picture".

Once you move your head, the HMD will follow you line of sight, and the "straight on cockpit view, along with your HUD" will turn right or left, depending upon which way your head moves.

Ex. Straight in seat, looking forward, with all centered in the HUD.

Turn on HMD

Raise head just slightly, to where the "+" is just above the HUD glass, and the HMD will appear.

If cockpit and HUD is all centered in your view, the HMD should be also, with the exception that you have your head tilted up just slightly.

My understanding from what you said, is that when you have met the above conditions, the HMD is "not" centered, but off to one side or the other just slightly.

This would be the case if you are sitting off to one side or the other in your flight seat.

But that may not be the cause, just one possibility.

Sorry if I was not clear.

Edited by captflyby

• 2 years later...

I had a problem with the HMD being too high relative to the HUD display with the BLNK button off.  I had to lower my head to make it align correctly.  The solution I found with my Reverb G2 is to tilt the headset down and the HMD will come lower and align with the HUD.

9 hours ago, PX_RGR said:

I had a problem with the HMD being too high relative to the HUD display with the BLNK button off.  I had to lower my head to make it align correctly.  The solution I found with my Reverb G2 is to tilt the headset down and the HMD will come lower and align with the HUD.

Guess now this is no longer an issue as ED just updated HMD test and alignment. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]