HUD issues

Varis

Aka newbies try to fly the Viggen...

Trying out air combat with the Viggen but HUD is displaying something pretty odd here. Totally new to the craft - could be user error (illegal loadout, wrong positions for selector switches etc?) or possibly a bug?

Air start and flying at approx 3.5km.

Trying to learn using Chuck's guide, not sure where I read it but the plane is very picky with what loadouts you can fit (basically it was planned for single weapon type deployment at a time). Trying 2xRb24J, 2xgun pod, 2xRb74 here.

EDIT: Seems to be ok with flight path + height bars (I call them northern lights :D) displayed on the HUD at start, but only when I switch to IR-RB it gets messed up. Will need to check if it's indeed the weapon setup.

EDIT2: Saw that Chuck's guide actually has the same kind of markings with the A2A missile. But they are way off the center by default (5 + enter on numpad). Something to do with pilot head / PoV positioning by default, think it's a known issue with the Viggen.

20181110143607_1.thumb.jpg.5218be9f655e9ba171fa788674661207.jpg

Edited by Varis
Going from problems to solutions

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

It’s the visual ranging mode for air-to-air. If the targets wingtips touches the two lines you are within range to fire. You also lock the target with T1

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Varis, can you post the screen capture to show how you solved it?

"Solutions" basically in the first message. The markings in the original screenshot are correct for the A2A mode (just maybe a bit high on the HUD).

Haven't checked the scoop on HUD positioning yet. Playing with keyboard you can adjust your head position higher-lower when needed (which is a bit of a pain) but I just got head tracking which kind of makes it much easier - you can just lock your default position to the correct spot and people tend to do that a lot already with head tracking. My guess is HB mostly flies with head tracking and they might not notice the HUD placement that much :)

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

One aspect to be aware of is also the low / high position for the whole HUD device.

Think normal navigation modes are with the HUD up while many weapon modes are with HUD down so one wouldn't expect both to work nicely at the same time.