New VR Pointing Device - Page 136 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #1351
FireCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondabel View Post
@FireCat
pl . add my to the list
Hi, You have been added to the list link below.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...postcount=1149

Cheers.
FireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #1352
mariner3302

Keep in mind that this is a VR use item. Also remember that you are simulating being in a real airplane. If you are typing away with both hands in the cockpit, that is probably going to go badly. The concept and the end product is to allow you to flip switches and do things to increase immersion and decrease the feel of a keyboard run game. PC does this exceptionally well. My understanding is that there are VR keyboards available. I'm sure I saw someone had integrated one into DCS.
The bottom line is that PC wasn't designed for, and shouldn't, do anything but what it was built to do. The good idea fairy can be a real bitch sometimes! lol
Jetseat KW-908 by Andre, you'll never fly without it again!!
PointCTRL by MilesD, No more mouse - reach and adjust controls!
mariner3302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #1353
9echo

Yeah sure, as stated in my initial post - not expecting it to be possible, and even if it was, I wouldn't expect Miles to go through that hurdle to make it happen, haha. PointCtrl looks amazing, and I have been a fan and buyer since the first time I saw it, and I keep telling myself everytime I fly that jeeeeez, am I looking forward to getting those and let go of this mouse. As the others have said; Can't wait to see videos with it used by others, as well as getting to try it myself once it arrives and I've got hold of some VR gadget. All creds to Miles for this one!
9echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:57 PM   #1354
farmertom

Miles,
A couple of question about the pdf instructions.
1) Page 18, "Menu Left" and "Menu Right" refers to selecting the menu item using either the left FCU or the right FCU, not two menus? Or do I have to calibrate both FCU separately?

2) Page 19 step 8, "Point at each of the 5 Sequentially presented targets..." Do I just point my arm in the direction of the target and push the button on the FCU, or is there a cursor I use to point(match)the displayed cross? I don't see it.
If I point my arm, how far out do I reach?

Thanks
farmertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:42 AM   #1355
MilesD

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
Miles,
A couple of question about the pdf instructions.
1) Page 18, "Menu Left" and "Menu Right" refers to selecting the menu item using either the left FCU or the right FCU, not two menus? Or do I have to calibrate both FCU separately?

2) Page 19 step 8, "Point at each of the 5 Sequentially presented targets..." Do I just point my arm in the direction of the target and push the button on the FCU, or is there a cursor I use to point(match)the displayed cross? I don't see it.
If I point my arm, how far out do I reach?

Thanks
Hey FarmerTom,
1) Menu Left and Menu Right refers to the graphic menu item from page 17. One press is all it takes to cycle to the next menu, There will be a delay until the cursor outline of the current graphic is completed, it will then display the next outline. Only one calibration procedure is required, not one for each FCU.

2) You will only see the cursor targets, not a moving cursor of where you are currently pointing. You want to do your best to point naturally and directly at the cursor target with your arm extended as you would have it in the cockpit.

Good questions, I hope that helps,

Miles

This might help also if you haven't seen it

https://youtu.be/9GqJqrFG0cQ

Last edited by MilesD; 07-10-2019 at 01:12 AM.
MilesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:04 AM   #1356
MilesD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9echo View Post
Yeah sure, as stated in my initial post - not expecting it to be possible, and even if it was, I wouldn't expect Miles to go through that hurdle to make it happen, haha. PointCtrl looks amazing, and I have been a fan and buyer since the first time I saw it, and I keep telling myself everytime I fly that jeeeeez, am I looking forward to getting those and let go of this mouse. As the others have said; Can't wait to see videos with it used by others, as well as getting to try it myself once it arrives and I've got hold of some VR gadget. All creds to Miles for this one!
Thanks for the suggestion 9echo,

That's an interesting idea, My default position is always "sure, I can do that" so, sure, I can do that. As long as their is interest in PointCTRL I will keep improving it. I have a whole list of enhancements I will be doing through firmware, most notable, the 36 Virtual Radial Buttons just outside the perimeter of your field of view.

Their are actually a few options to implement something like you mentioned. FireCat had some dual cursor software running in the background interfering with PointCTRL. A simple method would be the option to display both FCU cursors when they in the field of view, The one on the right would would activate by the right FCU and the Left by the left FCU. We will eventually have the option to use PonitCTRL as is, a stand alone mouse cursor, or use it integrated into the V/R environment.

So Sure, I can do that, I just don't know when.

Thanks for the great suggestion,

Miles
MilesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:40 AM   #1357
9echo

Well, regardless of such a feature in the future or not; You are still a genious, and I just have to stand behind the rest of community in the praise of PC and the legend behind the wonder. I still keep saying to myself "how on Earth have no VR HMD producer done this yet, rather than those clumsy things they push out". Keep it up, you’re doing some amazing work that is awesome to watch happening!
9echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #1358
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9echo View Post
Well, regardless of such a feature in the future or not; You are still a genious, and I just have to stand behind the rest of community in the praise of PC and the legend behind the wonder. I still keep saying to myself "how on Earth have no VR HMD producer done this yet, rather than those clumsy things they push out". Keep it up, you’re doing some amazing work that is awesome to watch happening!
Well it’s pretty niche. Most VR manufacturers are interested in producing something that is fully tracked in 3D and can interact with objects in 3D like a pair of hands. This currently does require them to be a bit clumsy but it’s ok because for most of the games you use VR hand controllers with you aren’t picking them up or putting them down very often. Our use case of wanting to intermittently point at a button with a mouse cursor but the rest of the time go back to our physical controls is pretty much unique to flight simming and I’m not surprised it’s taken a smart community member to figure it out.

DCS F-16C REALLY IS A THING! - BLOCK 50 BABY!!!

My Screenshots - Excited About = PointCTRL VR
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #1359
Salsam

A couple of Qs for the lucky PointCtrl (PC) owners out there;

1a. How does the handeling of "turn knobs" work, cross modules? (Since ED seems lack 3rd party standards for knobs)

1b. Is it possible, using PC, to interact with the UH-1 Huey, ADF freq knob? Since that function, for some reason, uses mouse scrollwheel...

2. Anyone tried PC as F14B RIO in MP? And how did that go (compared to mouse)?

A part of NOSIG
Salsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #1360
FoxDelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsam View Post
A couple of Qs for the lucky PointCtrl (PC) owners out there;

1a. How does the handeling of "turn knobs" work, cross modules? (Since ED seems lack 3rd party standards for knobs)

1b. Is it possible, using PC, to interact with the UH-1 Huey, ADF freq knob? Since that function, for some reason, uses mouse scrollwheel...

2. Anyone tried PC as F14B RIO in MP? And how did that go (compared to mouse)?

A part of NOSIG
to 1a
sometimes a bit different,but for most knobs just press and hold button 1/2 and moving your hand up/down or left/right turns the knob

to1b
mousewheel function is implemented and ADF knob and F18 wing fold are working, u will have to read the pointctrl manual to understand how this function works. button 3 is the wheel and the other buttons are for the change of direction, when u change the direction remember not to do that while having the cursor over a switch or knob

to 2.
sorry havent yet tried
FoxDelta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vr clickable cockpit, vr controller, vr gloves, vr mouse, vr tracking