PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

On 3/18/2022 at 11:50 AM, Sr. said:

I'm loving it so far!

I have to keep reminding myself that I don't necessarily have to find a binding for EVERYTHING in the cockpit to HOTAS now.

I am thinking though that I may need to make a dummy surface for the Apache KU ... my left hand ain't as steady as it used to be.

Hey Sr,

Glad you are enjoying PointCTRL, It's not just your hand, PointCTRL can use a bit more tuning to help steady out the cursor. I am working on a GUI that will allow users to be able to adjust everything from IR light sensitivity to cursor smoothing to suit their needs best.

Its always a balance between production and improvements, I usually go for improvements, which is why the wait list is so long.

Thanks again for your patience,

Miles

• Like 2

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/05/15

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

1 minute ago, MilesD said:

Hey Sr,

Glad you are enjoying PointCTRL, It's not just your hand, PointCTRL can use a bit more tuning to help steady out the cursor. I am working on a GUI that will allow users to be able to adjust everything from IR light sensitivity to cursor smoothing to suit their needs best.

Its always a balance between production and improvements, I usually go for improvements, which is why the wait list is so long.

Miles

Excellent

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

3 hours ago, MilesD said:

Hey Sirrah,
Wow 2 1/2 years. I remember you. I think you were one of the first adopters. After 2 1/2 years and those v1 batteries are getting on. You usually lose between 10% and 20%of capacity  per year from Lipos. When it becomes a problem they can be replaced.  I went with standard RC LiPos with a connector for easy replacement.

Glad your still enjoying PointCTRL.

Miles

Hey Miles,

Yep, your product still is leading the market, for us sim-heads 👍

When I explain my hobby to friends and colleagues, it's only at the part where I describe Pointctrl where they all go: "Nohhh, seriously?! That is next level!"

Could you perhaps 'point' me in the right direction for those LIPo's?

I know this store sells lots of rc batteries, I just don't know what to look for/filter on.

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/o/modelbouw-accupacks-1209075.html

(Sorry, Dutch only is seems 😞)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Unfortunately, they don't have them there.
If you have Amazon there, these are the batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/sea-jump-accessories-Quadcopter-Lithium/dp/B077ZT25PJ/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=150mah+lipo+battery&qid=1649007215&sr=8-13

Let me know if that works.

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

On 4/2/2022 at 9:44 PM, MilesD said:

Hey Sr,

Miles

I just stumbled across something...

I have been experimenting with the new OpenXR implementation for VR DCS, and last night I noticed the was a slider to reduce "shakiness". While I was ranging from 0%(off) through 100% I noticed the graphics and artifacting get exponentially worse... This was with motion reprojection enabled in OXR.

I went back with motion detection disabled this time and moved the slider to 100% just to see how it affected the visuals this time and there was no change, but then I realized the PointCtrl cursor was SO much more steady and accurate.

I would point the cursor at the Apache KU and intentionally wiggle my head trying to make it wobble off of the number pad and it wobbled a tiny bit but never jumped completely off the numbers.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Inbound since 10 days ago, very excited.

But (rant on), I HATE the posties, 10 days to get from CT to NY and still needs to get to me in Canada.  Is it moving by stage wagon? (rant off.)

Not Miles' faulty of course.

Quivering with anticipation of having my VR rocked to the next level.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

2 hours ago, raptorman0 said:

Hi got this for the rift s but have ordered a reverb g2, do I need a different mount or can  I use the rift s one?

Thanks

With some proper thick sticky tape, you know, the foamy kind (forgive my lack of knowing the right name 😋, you should be fine.

Also, you can use some cheap polymorph plastic, to fill the gaps and create a better fit for the HMS.

I used this several months when I switched from my Rift cv1 to my Reverb.

(Later Miles sent me a new HMS for the Reverb because my old HMS was acting up a bit)

• Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 4/2/2022 at 7:21 PM, MilesD said:

Hi Hobo,
PointCTRL replaces the gaze cursor. When you put your hands down and stop using PointCTRL, the gaze cursor parks itself in the upper right hand corner of your HMD display, usually out of your FOV until it times out. It does not replace your standard mouse, they work together, with PointCTRL overriding the mouse when the FCUs are active and visible,

Note to current PointCTRL users. After the recent DCS update that makes the gaze curser persistent, you may continually see it parked in the upper right hand corner of your FOV. This parked location references your "cursor targets". Therefore if you widen your cusor targets and recalibrate it may move it out of your FOV even though it is persistent.

While PointCTRL does it's best to keep the cursor stationary (on the control you are pointing at) while you move your head, it's still needs a bit of work. If you pan your head slowly, the cursor will remain mostly where you are pointing. However, with quick head movements, the cursor will  move away with your head movement for 1/10 to 1/4 of a second from where you are pointing before settling back down to where you are pointing.

I hope that helps

Miles

Fantastic. Even if it follows a view radius, where as long as the curser is with in the radius of the view the pointer will not, shake or move. That would solve many problems until you can officially add a 3d cursor that is completely separate of the mouse, be it 3/4 of the visible FOV, pulling the mouse curser as it reaches the edge of that radius That gives you a lot of space to work with without fighting each other over control. I'm curious though, now that they have released the ability to use the hand motion (in specials tab) and it gives you the options to use VR controllers, wouldn't this be the best implementation, so the mouse can be disabled entirely? Or at least have the option to run 2d/HMDcontroller? As it seems it's already implemented for you to an extent?

Now that I am learning the Apache I am so glad I was able to receive my Point Control unit recently. Makes entering all that data on the Apache keyboard so nice and easy. Would hate to have to use my mouse while in VR to do this.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, Steel Jaw said:

Will this work in other sims like MS2020?

Not currently. Miles is hoping at some point to be able to integrate it with MSFS 2020. Keep in mind he is still around a year backlogged on filling new orders though, so may be a while. I believe he has already started some work with it.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Is there a way to invert the x-axis?

I want to use Pointctrl in 2D - which works, but it would be nice if I was able to put the sensor on the top of my screen instead of my head?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

When you calibrate it should will take care of that. You will also have to where the FCU backwards. 
I do have a monitor prototype done that works completely different. Two sensors mount to upper left and upper right corners of the screen and the IRLED faces up. and forward.

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

4 hours ago, MilesD said:

When you calibrate it should will take care of that. You will also have to where the FCU backwards. 
I do have a monitor prototype done that works completely different. Two sensors mount to upper left and upper right corners of the screen and the IRLED faces up. and forward.

Cool - looking forward to that. I will try the calibration. Thank you.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

So, I don't want to complain, but I'm going to complain...I've literally been waiting for over a year at this point. Don't you think that is just a little bit excessive?

I'm following on discord and its getting pretty close, but it seems like the closer it gets, the slower it gets.

Edited by Jarhead0331

15 hours ago, Jarhead0331 said:

So, I don't want to complaint, but I'm going to complain...I've literally been waiting for over a year at this point. Don't you think that is just a little bit excessive?

I'm following on discord and its getting pretty close, but it seems like the closer it gets, the slower it gets.

I waited right at a year for mine. Yeah it is a long time but with the popularity of the device it is what it is. Miles is a one man show ( well and one woman as his wife helps out packaging).

Trust me it is well worth the wait. I know he got backlogged recently with some supply issues but sounds like he is close to wrapping several up soon. Maybe yours will be in there.

Don B

^yes. I understand it’s a one man operation, but at what, $200+ an order and with hundreds if not thousands of orders, like, hire some help.  I went into this with eyes wide open to the fact that it would be more than the 60 days that was indicated on my pre-order,  but over a year? At some point, you have to make an effort to get these things out faster. I mean, I’ve been through two VR headsets since I placed my order.

Edited by Jarhead0331

I waited 16 months for my Bronco... a year for PointCTRL considering the size of his operation should be easy-peasy in comparison.  😉

I promise you that PointCTRL will change everything for you.  👍

image.png

• Like 1

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Thanks. MSRP, actually. Got my reservation in two hours after the announcement last year. Those two hours were spent hitting refresh every five seconds white the website was crashing. 😉

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

11 hours ago, Jarhead0331 said:

^yes. I understand it’s a one man operation, but at what, $200+ an order and with hundreds if not thousands of orders, like, hire some help.  I went into this with eyes wide open to the fact that it would be more than the 60 days that was indicated on my pre-order,  but over a year? At some point, you have to make an effort to get these things out faster. I mean, I’ve been through two VR headsets since I placed my order.

Have you checked his Discord channel for the now serving orders? I am betting you must be pretty close by now. Trust me once you have started using them you will forget all about that long wait. I sure did.

• Like 1

Don B