Why are the most unrealistic servers the most popular?

Boris

As zhukov stated, a realistic mission is faaaaaar away from just "red type of aircrafts vs blue type of aircrafts". And some MP servers actually have this. On DDCS you will never see F-18 vs F-18 situation, unless it's a blue-on-blue.

Realistic mission would require that all people who want to join the mission MUST go through briefing with ground commander who will assign them tasks. Also, jumping in on random time would be disabled, you would be able to jump into the server every for ex 45 minutes. If you miss it, you don't jump in.

If you don't understand me, compare joining to MP server in BMS and in DCS.

In DCS all you see is "RED" and "BLUE" aircrafts. Nothing else. No map, no briefing. 1st you pick your aircraft, then you can check the briefing.

On BMS the 1st thing you see is the map and the situation, then you check the needed taskings and after that you pick your aircraft.

So yea, DCS MP isn't made to be realistic, unless the guy forces it in ME. But still, he can't do nothing more than putting certain type of aircrafts.

There will never be realistic servers in public MP unless ED completely changes their "Select role" page and overall approach to MP

"Hey let's have realistic mission" is an easy thing to say, but in reality very hard to achieve.

This is how I feel. If we had a more mid-Cold War plane set (i.e. I'm thinking Vietnam War/Middle East war-era planes like the F-4, MiG-23, MiG-25, Mirage III etc.) along with less useless AI and a robust dynamic campaign with progress saves, we'd have a really immersive game where there is purpose - not just a bunch of planes in a sandbox.

As it is now, I spend most of my time doing DACT with buddies or airQuake stuff to better my skills in air-to-air combat, and it's therefore rare that I dedicate time to play. Don't get me wrong, it's super fun! However with a lacking purpose, it feels empty and when I want more of my friends to join, there simply is not as much fun to be had.

Edited by SgtPappy

Because this is a video game. That simple.

If you want "realistic" servers and missions, feel free to make those.

PvP has to be balanced, scenarios like "Me and my tomcat buddy fox 3 some export migs21 coming right at us because according to wikipedia the tomcat shot down...."

Are only fun if you are the tomcat. I dont even get why people can just assume that people would be willing to spend their time entertaining them.

You need some kind of balance on your pvp server to make it fun for everyone instead of a one sided slugfest. There is nothing wrong with that, because DCS is a sandbox videogame.

If people want to roleplay as pilots that is totally fine.

If people just want to fly arround and blow shit up that is totally fine.

If people want to go the powergaming competetive route that is totally fine.

It just gets kinda, lets say wired when one group starts pointing fingers, because their playstyle, their way of enjoying DCS just is the only real way to play and enjoy the game and everyone else is just doing it wrong and has to be convinced to change their way. By force.

"But somewhere it says study level simulation, how dare you to call it a videogame, I am 55 years old I cant be a gamer, I do simulations" :megalol:

:puke:

Absolutely OK for folks to prefer unrealistic furballing. Just as OK as folks like myself not preferring it in the slightest. Although it has to be said that I'm not currently flying DCS ops at all, apart from occasional circuits and bumps so as not to forget everything, so my opinion doesn't count ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Uh no, I called DCS a videogame and pointed out that it can be played in various ways and that a balanced pvp experience is the most liked but everyone is free to do whatever they want.

Oh how dare I....

Woah, careful there or the wrath will be upon us :D

nZNgI.jpg

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |