DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

Barrett_g

When the 56th got their first bubble top, Zemke, the group C.O. grabbed the first one. The next three went to the squadron C.O.'s, including Gabreski. That has to tell you something. Look, you may like the razorback because of the way it looks, but the D-25's were preferred by the men who knew. And they had longer range, besides.

I asked Newy on the discord this morning and he said theres no info they are ready to give out publicly yet so I wouldnt count on hearing anything for another week or two.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Or P-51H

I would go with P-51A Alison engine unit, B/C has same v-1650 engine.

Not exactly the same; the Mustang MkI/P-51/P-51A all flew with Allison V-1710s with a single supercharger, while the P-51H used a V-1650-9 Packard Merlin (which would have been much improved from the earlier examples used in the B/C a year earlier). But the Allison powered versions are reputed to be much 'sweeter' handling than the Merlin versions because that was the engine the airframe was designed for.

I would like to see a B/C with a Malcolm hood, though; I've read more than one ace's memoirs stating flat out that it gave better vision at critical angles and was a steadier gun platform because of the higher profile. The numbers of razorback Mustangs still operating several months after the introduction of the D/K model in May '44, often with the fin fillet mod would seem to bear this out.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

Are you excited about Thunderbolt?

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Not exactly the same; the Mustang MkI/P-51/P-51A all flew with Allison V-1710s with a single supercharger, while the P-51H used a V-1650-9 Packard Merlin (which would have been much improved from the earlier examples used in the B/C a year earlier). But the Allison powered versions are reputed to be much 'sweeter' handling than the Merlin versions because that was the engine the airframe was designed for.

I would like to see a B/C with a Malcolm hood, though; I've read more than one ace's memoirs stating flat out that it gave better vision at critical angles and was a steadier gun platform because of the higher profile. The numbers of razorback Mustangs still operating several months after the introduction of the D/K model in May '44, often with the fin fillet mod would seem to bear this out.

cheers

horseback

I had in mind that P-51D which we have now in game uses same engine as B/C -7, my interest in B or C is very low it would be almost copy paste the D, A is quite a different plane.

I pick up P-51A because it would introduce some change in engine.

I know that H used -9

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Are you excited about Thunderbolt?

Guy who put music in this video just did crime IMHO

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

The B/C is a little faster, turns a little better and would be a good excuse to get a more representative ETO mustang since the D-25 they gave us was just a 3d model change and nothing else.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

According to released screenshots, propeller is Curtiss-Electric 13'1'' paddle blade.

That is correct for D-30 model.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Isn't this 12'2 prop a thin blade type ?

Iirc, paddle blade will be faster in climb and in level flight too.

Edited by grafspee

According to released screenshots, propeller is Curtiss-Electric 13'1'' paddle blade.

That is correct for D-30 model.

Couldn't find any, link or screenshot please

Isn't this 12'2 prop a thin blade type ?

Iirc, paddle blade will be faster in climb and in level flight too.

Nope. Big bladed prop needs more power to spin it.

You know that resource, don't you.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/p-47.html

Check this

What I've just found!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0578/9125/files/List_of_Propellers_and_Governors_for_Service_Aircraft_1945_wwii.pdf

Edited by GUMAR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Реальные хотелки к ЛО3 по Су-25 в основном...

ASRock PG9, i-5 9600KF, MSI 2080Ti, 32GB 3466

From what I read the Paddle prop is only really a D model thing and the test you linked is for a P-47B...?

The paddle blade prop is the 13 ft one IIRC. The Curtiss electric 12.2ft prop was only for P-47Gs built by Curtiss-Wright from what I've read. Edit: nvm misread something. 12.2ft was the original prop, which went onto the Gs as well.

Edited by DefaultFace

9./JG27

DCS P-47 WIP picture

8MoWmBI.png

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/screenshots/572/

It looks like propeller on foto bellow (at least to me), Curtiss-Electric 13'0" (some sources claim 13'1'') paddle blade symmetrical propeler.

Su5NZcd.jpg

You asked for this, this one was used up to D-16 model. EDIT: my fault correct is "up to D-21 model!!!"

hZpyyTs.jpg

CE paddle blade assymetrical, used on D-30 too, 12'0 are visible behind.

vhNqfSN.jpg

Edited by saburo_cz

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

@saburo great photos; helps to clear the thing, thx!

The question is now this: R. Johnson in his book talks about "new propeller with broader blades" that was retrofitted to their Jugs and that helped a lot in vertical manoeuvres. What do you think, did he talk about the symetrical 13" CE or the asymetrical CE prop?

Edited by tapi

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

Well, thank you for the internet and youtube :D

"new propeller with broader blades" were all three new propellers, HS and both CE, symmetrical and asymmetrical.

R. Johnson's D-21 was retrofited with CE symmetrical.

last 10sec. from video :)

and one picture R. Johnson and his plane

3Clj6RX.jpg

F-15E | F-14A/B

Very nice and clear picture!

Looks like we can expect the jug with the outfit for the best possible performance :thumbup:

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

Can you see how wrong those props looks from side on those distant P-47's omg :(.

Those props are damaged they are at beyond minimal pitch atitude. This hurts my eyes so much.

Prop tips should be thin and get thicker going to the prop base.

Looks a little like revers thrust props, did p-47 had something like this ?

8MoWmBI.png

Edited by grafspee

All WIP pictures show blade setting for oposit propeller rotation...

But, they are still WIP, so we will see when P-47 will be release.

No reverse thrusts propeller for standard P-47.

(could be tested, who knows?)

F-15E | F-14A/B

All WIP pictures show blade setting for oposit propeller rotation...

But, they are still WIP, so we will see when P-47 will be release.

No reverse thrusts propeller for standard P-47.

(could be tested, who knows?)

It is not WIP issue, all props in DCS looks like this. Only client model is done properly but other planes aren't. But who cares about it when you don't see your own prop from side :P It always hurts me when i see other props, when sitting on the ground or flying formation.

Edited by grafspee

@saburo great photos; helps to clear the thing, thx!

The question is now this: R. Johnson in his book talks about "new propeller with broader blades" that was retrofitted to their Jugs and that helped a lot in vertical manoeuvres. What do you think, did he talk about the symetrical 13" CE or the asymetrical CE prop?

DCS P-47 WIP picture

8MoWmBI.png

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/screenshots/572/

It looks like propeller on foto bellow (at least to me), Curtiss-Electric 13'0" (some sources claim 13'1'') paddle blade symmetrical propeler.

Su5NZcd.jpg

You asked for this, this one was used up to D-16 model. EDIT: my fault correct is "up to D-21 model!!!"

hZpyyTs.jpg

CE paddle blade assymetrical, used on D-30 too, 12'0 are visible behind.

vhNqfSN.jpg

Very nice and clear picture!

Looks like we can expect the jug with the outfit for the best possible performance :thumbup:

There was no Asymmetrical C.E. Prop. The Asymmetrical prop is the A.O. Smith.

What the D-30 in-game has is the 13' Curtis Electric (from the lookes of it). For best Possible performance we would need the Hamilton prop but that was only fitted to the D-22, 25, and 27.

Well, if you wanna be soooo accurate, you should use term Curtiss Electric propeller assembly with A.O. Smith blades.

Simply C.E. assymetrical, for brief info, more than eough.

F-15E | F-14A/B

Well, if you wanna be soooo accurate, you should use term Curtiss Electric propeller assembly with A.O. Smith blades.

Simply C.E. assymetrical, for brief info, more than eough.

It's still not a C.E. even though they used the same hub assembly.