WeatherMark: On-the-fly DCS Weather Data

funkyfranky

WeatherMark

Hi everyone,

here is a little script which allows you to easily obtain weather data for every point on map during the mission.

But I guess a video explains it best :)

Features:

• Offers easy access to weather data at all points of the map.
  • Reports temperature, QFE pressure, wind direction and strength, wind strength classification according to Beaufort scale.
  • Output of weather data in metric or imperial units.
  • Optionally, the altitude can be specified at which the weather data is evaluated.
  • Works with static and dynamic weather.
  • Works with all current and future maps (Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, PG, ...)

Prerequisite:

• This script requires DCS 2.5.1 or higher.
  • Note that the script uses only the pure DCS API, i.e. NO other framework like MIST, MOOSE, etc required.

Load the script:

• Download the script and save it anywhere on your hard drive.
  • Open your mission in the mission editor.
  • At a new trigger:
    1. TYPE "4 MISSION START"
    2. ACTION "DO SCRIPT FILE"
    3. OPEN --> Browse to the location where you saved the script and click OK.

[*]Save the mission and start it.

[*]Have fun :)

Basic Usage:

• Place a mark on the F10 map.
  • As text enter "weather report".
  • Click somewhere else on the map to submit the new text.
  • The original mark will disappear and a new mark with the weather data at the point the mark was set is created.

Options:

• Type "weather report, imperial" to get weather report in imperial units independent of default unit system.
  • Type "weather report, metric" to get weather report in metric units independent of default unit system.
  • Type "weather report, alt 1000" to get weather report at that location but at an ASL altitude of 1000 meters for feet, depending on default unit system.
  • Type "weather report, alt 1000, imperial" to get weather at that location at an altitude of 1000 feet independent of default unit system.
  • Type "weather report, alt 1000, metric" to get weather at that location at an altitude of 1000 meters independent of default unit system.
  • Type "weather set, metric" to set the default unit system to metric units.
  • Type "weather set, imperial" to set the default unit system to imperial units.

Note

• All keywords are CaSE inSenSITvE.
  • Instead of "weather report" you can also type "weather request" or "weather mark". All three commands are equivalent.
  • Commas are the speparators between options ==> They are IMPORTANT!

Download:

• Like 2

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Now, this is a simple but brilliant idea! It combines two simple object that were already there, the marks and the weather information, to create something helpful and easy to use. Outstanding thinking. No more awkward calculations with the Viggen, thank you very much for sharing!!

Inviato dal mio S2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Very nice!

I can see this being extremely helpful for AC like the Viggen in ops with dynamic weather. :thumbup:

Thanks, mate! QFE for Viggen was indeed my initial motivation :) Not only for dynamic weather but also if you find targets which are not near pre-defined waypoints. (Okay, there are other methods to get the QFE, but maybe not as convenient ;))

BTW, being able to analyse the mark text and use it to issue commands has big potential in my opinion. This could (in parts) replace the "static" F10 radio menu and make mission much more dynamic and realistic. Hopefully people get creative with this new DCS feature:D

Well, here is another example using the same technique for recon missions. Provide target coordinates of enemies you spot during a mission and make your artillery batteries engage :D

It's just a show case, but in a "real" DCS mission you would also automatically include factors like human error (if the pilot does not provide the exact coordinates) or friendly fire (if the pilot does not identify the coalition correctly). Both are factors which are usually difficult to model for mission designers.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

• 5 months later...

Is is possible to get temperature in celsius with all other units in imperial?

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Is there any way to get QNH with this script instead of QFE?

Yes, you can request the weather data at any altitude via the "alt" keyword. Since QFE(alt=0)=QNH, the reported QFE is actually the QHN pressure if you type

weather report, alt 0

Looks like you found the answer to the other question :)

Is is possible to get temperature in celsius with all other units in imperial?

No, this is not implemented, sorry.

You can easily change that by the way.

Just comment out "--" the following line (324) in the script

if unitsystem=="imperial" then
[b]--[/b]    _T=string.format('%d°F', weathermark._CelsiusToFahrenheit(T))
end

• 6 months later...

Absolutely love this script, and I've finally come to do a small contribution...

Rather than --- I use

"weather" --- "wx"

"request" --- "req"

"metric" --- "SI"

"imperial" --- "imp"

feet/meters --- thousands of feet/meters

So, I can now type "wx req, alt 10, SI" to get the weather at 10 km altitude. I think this is neater...

WeatherMark TD.lua

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I cant get your script to work. Doing as explained by you, old marker goes away, I do get the message that a new marker with weatherinfo has generatet, but i cant see any new marker ...

Any idea?

Unfortunately I cant get your script to work. Doing as explained by you, old marker goes away, I do get the message that a new marker with weatherinfo has generatet, but i cant see any new marker ...

Any idea?

ED fixed a bug with the maker coordinates.

In the lua script, look for this line and change false to true

--- DCS bug regarding wrong marker vector components was fixed. If so, set to true! 
weathermark.DCSbugfixed=true   -- was false

Then it will work as expected again.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...