What does this mean?

bmbpdk

See upper left corner on the picture (Screenshot_020):

"Magic, BRA, 062 for 40, 10000, cold"

and the next picture (Screenshot_019):

"magic, pop-up group, 031 for 20, 30000, flanking"

ScreenShot_020.thumb.jpg.6834705fa418449e2f0cdc9ffd23b4b5.jpg

ScreenShot_019.thumb.jpg.ede2ba921f32abde1b14141818749c23.jpg

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

It's explained on p650 in the manual.

The AWACS response differs according to the range of enemy air groups:

-If BULL (over 50 nm): (Your flight‘s callsign), (AWACS callsign), new picture, <number

of groups detected> groups. First group, bulls <bearing> for <range>, <altitude band>.

Second group, bulls <bearing> for <range>, <altitude>. (repeats up to three groups)

-If BRA (under 50 nm): (Your flight‘s callsign), (AWACS callsign), new picture, <number

of groups detected> groups. First group, bra <bearing> for <range>, hits <altitude

band>. Second group, bra <bearing> for <range>, hits <altitude band>. (repeats up to

three groups)

It's AWACS giving you info on enemy units' heading, distance and altitude. I'm not familiar with the rest of the brevity though, would like to know aswell.

edit: after reading that /\ I am none the wiser. Pop-up group? cold? flanking?

Edited by Shake3000

It's explained on p650 in the manual.

ok thanks, ill take a look in the manual

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

Magic - Callsign of AWACS

BRA - Indicates that the location of the enemy will be given in BRA (bearing-range-altitude) format

062 - Bearing 062 from you

for 40 - 40 miles from you

10000 - 10,000 ft altitude

cold - They are pointing away from you

magic - Callsign of AWACS

pop-up group - New group just appeared on my radar

031 - Bearing 031 degrees from you

for 20 - 20 miles from you

30000 - 30,000 feet altitude

flanking - They are heading generally towards you and to the left or the right of you

• Like 1

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

Aspect Lingo

HOT - Headed towards you (160 to 180 aspect)

FLANK [left/RIGHT] - Headed towards you and to the left or right (120 to 150 aspect)

BEAM [left/RIGHT] - Headed away from you and to the left or right (70 to 110 aspect)

COLD/DRAG - Headed away from you (0 to 70 aspect)

Edited by Stretch
  • Like 1

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

Bearing is the the target's bearing from you, not from the north arrow, right? So you would take 062 and add it to your bearing, say, 180 and get the number on your heading tape as 242, right?

No, I think bearing should be from north, ie: if bandits were on a bearing of 062 from you, you would turn to a heading of 062 to put them on your nose.

--NoJoe

Anybody know why the US pilots use this coded language?

There doesnt seem to be an equivalent language for russian pilots.

for example us pilots say "fox 1, 2 or 3" when lauching a missile.

russian pilots simply say " launching rocket"

I am the alpha and the omega

Russian aircraft are normally under strict control, and the missle is picked for them by their controller. This was the thinking up to the breakup of the Soviet Union, what they do now is much closer to other Air Forces, allowing airborne pilots more control of the situation. Bearing is always from true north, ie you would turn to that heading to intercept the bogeys. A good way to visualize this; is put a bulleye over your position and give information about another flight from that bulls center (where your flight is.) Also with air combat fought beond visual range, information about other flights in your area is required.

Lumper

-------------------------------------------

When the going gets tough, the smart cutout.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fox 1 = Active Radar missile such as AIM-7

Fox 2 = Heat seaker such as AIM-9

Fox 3 = Semi Active Radar missile such as AIM-120

I think you have part of Fox 1 and Fox 3 backwards. Fox 1 should be semi-active radar missile, such as AIM-7 Sparrow.

Fox 3 should be active radar missile, such as AIM-120.

--NoJoe

Titanium, the reason US forces (all other countries use something similar) use standard brevity (this is a NATO standard actually) is to transmit the maximum amount of data to friendly units in a minimum amount of time. For example: "Raptor, contact, 340 for 30, angels 24, turning hot" means "Hey heads up Raptors you have a contact bearing 340 for 30 NM at angels 24 turning to point their nose on you." Contrast this with:

"Uh, Raptor flight, uh, I might have a bandit turning towards you, look out!"

"Raptor copy say position of possible bandit"

"Uhhh, sort of north of your current position."

"Raptor copies, say distance"

"UH, 20 miles, uhhhhhh."

"Raptor copies, say altitude"

"Uhhhhhh, 30,000 feet, I think, no make that 20,000 feet"

Of course by the time all this got sorted out Raptor has MiGs in his chili or needs to start BFMing inbound missiles before he even knows where to look. And the picture has completely changed in the time it took to transmit due to the high speeds involved and the contacts' ability to maneuver. The idea is brief, standard phraseology in a standard format to minimize confusing an already horribly confused environment that changes faster than you can change your mind. Everyone gets the idea of what is happening, where, and to whom even when the call gets garbled or the transmitting agent screws it up.

Anybody know why the US pilots use this coded language?

There doesnt seem to be an equivalent language for russian pilots.

for example us pilots say "fox 1, 2 or 3" when lauching a missile.

russian pilots simply say " launching rocket"

If i remember correct, its standard NATO "language", so every pilot in NATO knows exactly what is going on

Missile warning systems function by receiving radar energy from a targeting radar that conforms to a known form that indicates launch and guidance of a weapon or from the active seeker on an active radar missile. You will only get a missile inbound warning if you are the target or are unlucky enough to be close enough to the target to be within the cone of energy from an active missile. Either way it is time to execute your all aspect missile defense tactics upon receiving the warning. The system doesn't really indicate whether it is a friendly missile or not as you can be just as dead from a hit by a friendly as by one less friendly one. Hence the old saying, "friendly fire, isn't."

Otherwise radar warnings will be only that you are painted with a radar or are locked by one. Each works by looking at the strength and wave form then comparing them to forms that conform to know configurations of search, lock, or launch. If the characteristics of the radar wave form are not cataloged in the warning system then you get the square root of squat all for warning.

I'm not too familiar with the detailed workings of IR warning system that are in actual use but I have read that they can identify the characteristics of the rocket plume and, possibly, the aerodynamic heating of the missile body in flight. The warning is a result of a cataloged signature within the field of view of the system. There are some integrated systems in use and/or under development that will self initiate a spoofing strategy with flares and/or use laser countermeasures. The IR warning and countermeasure systems are by far the newest developments and are much less common than are systems for radar.

• Like 1

StrongHarm's favorite contribution to unauthorized radio chatter:

Brevity Brevity... Baaaaarevity, check

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

• 3 weeks later...

just found this on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brevity_code

its a list of NATO-pilots radio codes (dont tell anyone, its secret, sssshhhh) :megalol: