should we have more versions of current aircraft

upyr1

As we now have historic mode, it might make sense to have multiple models of the aircraft we have currently. The main argument against it though would be cost since I would assume it would rarely be a simple matter of deleting a weapons system or changing some paramater.

• Thanks 1

Although I'd love to see an MLU F-16A (and/or B :)), I'd personally rather see ED focus on some of the core issues first.. weather, Vulkan, AI, DC... just to name a few :)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

If we had more the current ones actually finished, then yes, like hell yes!

Though, it is becoming a thing with older, complete modules, with Ka-50 and A-10C both getting a different, more upgraded block in near future.

I'd love seeing more MiG-21 versions, if we get F-4, you just can't have enough versions of that one, and I'd love more Bf-109 and Spitfire variants.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I'd rather have new aircrafts and helos, than new versions of the existing ones .. tough I would love to have an early WW2 version of the Bf-109 and Spitfire, for use on the Channel Map.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Yes, especially some variants would require only a minor changes.

Let's take F/A-18C - our variant is from ~ 2005. What should be done to simulate late Cold War / Desert Storm variant?

Disable Link16, disable JHMCS, reduce engine power. And restrict some weapon: GPS guided munitions, AIM-9X and AMRAAM.

And some other similar changes.

Or to make F-16C block 30? Reduce the mass of the airframe by some half ton, change some FCS logic, delete JHMCS and restrict some weapon types.

And you have lighter, better accelerating, climbing, turning F-16 but with less gizmos - suitable for Cold War / Desert Storm timeframe.

But after all ED will calculate their time available.

Edited by bies
  • Like 1

Yes, especially some variants would require only a minor changes.

Let's take F/A-18C - our variant is from ~ 2005. What should be done to simulate late Cold War / Desert Storm variant?

Disable Link16, disable JHMCS, reduce engine power. And restrict some weapon: GPS guided munitions, AIM-9X and AMRAAM.

And some other similar changes.

Or to make F-16C block 30? Reduce the mass of the airframe by some half ton, change some FCS logic, delete JHMCS and restrict some weapon types.

And you have lighter, better accelerating, climbing, turning F-16 but with less gizmos - suitable for Cold War / Desert Storm timeframe.

But after all ED will calculate their time available.

The real question, is using ED's standards how often would it be a matter of removing a system becuase it was only available in a leter block? If that is ever the case, then I would expect to have those blocks.

Question: How long would you be willing to wait, to get these subvariants you ask for?

Would you be fine with that development time being put to subvariants, at the cost of developing other new modules that everyone is drooling for?

Would you want these subvariants if it meant delaying say new pilot AI ? Or delaying implementation of Vulcan? Or slowing down the planned dynamic campaign engine? Or slowing/delaying DCS V.3 ? How about track files that don't corrupt, and match what actually happened? Multiplayer stability? Or how about game stabilty in general?

For me, on a general level, I'd say no.

And yet, I can see the desire for variants in SOME cases, where it might actually make a signficant difference:

Phantom F-4 variants for both the E for the gun, and also a Carrier based Navy or Marine variants (no gun, earlier systems).

F-16A, for the late 70's and 80's, for instance in the Syria map for IDF use. A dogfighter with no BVR capabilities. Simple dumb bombs.

UH-60, so that we can do all normal heli ops, but maybe add the MH or HH variants for long distance extractions.

Buuuut... the very real downside is that this would very likely take time/work away from other modules and much wanted and NEEDED fixes and upgrades. So to me it seems a "nice to have but at what cost".