SAM operator module!

Hi, given that SAMs are pretty vital to counter aircraft and that they are often neglected, could it be possible to have a SAM operator module? I remember there was this SAM Simulator thing, maybe something like that could be added to DCS? It'd add a new, extra layer to SEAD/DEAD missions and would make for very interesting missions ans situations. Plus it could be a way of adding IADS to DCS or as a stopgap measure for them

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Yes please. SAM sim is so great. Always dreamed in having something similar for CA. some systems can be used in CA in some way but have a detailed radar screen for the SA-2 (and others) can add a lot to the module. Thanks

+1,

But what about CA?

I don't own CA but my understanding is that you point with the mouse and shoot. I'd like something more in-depth, in-line with the system or at least procedure simulation that DCS provides with the aircraft. But this time on a SAM

Well, CA lets you use single-unit SAM systems in a fairly simple fashion. I'm sure there would be some interest at least and also understanding that it wouldn't be part of CA if ED developed something along the lines of SAM Simulator to let players take proper control of battery-type SAM units like SA-3, S-300, Patriot, Hawk or Rapier in a more detailed and more realistic manner.

Well, CA lets you use single-unit SAM systems in a fairly simple fashion. I'm sure there would be some interest at least and also understanding that it wouldn't be part of CA if ED developed something along the lines of SAM Simulator to let players take proper control of battery-type SAM units like SA-3, S-300, Patriot, Hawk or Rapier in a more detailed and more realistic manner.

Exactly. Although the most modern stuff like the Patriot or the double-digit SAMs would probably be out of reach due to classified information and stuff. But Hawks, SA-2s and -3s...those would be great. Would make the Wild Weasel mission much more challenging and enjoyable!

I don't own CA but my understanding is that you point with the mouse and shoot. I'd like something more in-depth, in-line with the system or at least procedure simulation that DCS provides with the aircraft. But this time on a SAM

Wouldnt CA players think this is screwing them over? I do think this is a good idea, but we should take CA owners into account. It is similar after all, even if it's more realistic.

I doubt we'll ever see such a thing from ED, but I can tell you from experience that if you like watching paint dry, a SAM module will be exciting

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Mayhaps. I, as a CA owner, could see the merit in it.

'More toys' is definitely on the very low end of priorities in CA. Right now, almost everything CA is really good for is taking control of a single vehicle, smashing it around the country roads for half an hour and generally stir things up. Its originally advertised tactical control of the ground war is a joke, the simulation of vehicles, while generally functioning, is basic and often showcases bizarre physics, and the less we talk about the UI the better.

IMHO it should be part of the Combined Arms module.

The ground forces is currently very underdeveloped element in the DCS. Reason simply is that DCS has been so far pushing hardware resources toward flight modeling and cockpit operations, leaving the combat part lagging behind.

While the DCS is about combat aircrafts, it is more about studying procedures in cockpit than procedures how to operate in combat. Meaning that you study how to drop a bomb on target or how to strike against SAM site using available sensors.

The ground units are smart ones like everyone has IQ of shoe number. It is not ED fault as they have acknowledged this long time ago and they are working with it. So far the ground units has done their purpose = simple targets to be blown up.

But the Combined Arms is underrated module because in reality a foot soldier or even vehicle commander job is not so glorious as the fighter pilot job is. Where fighter pilot performs their duty in tens of kilometers distances, if not even hundreds, the MBT commander duty is to advance couple few kilometers per good day, if even that. And what glorious day is to work as SAM crew? You sit there for hours staring a radar screen, reading air defense network messages and listening radio communications.

But that is the great thing in DCS that there are those who would like to do so, especially in multiplayer where you can have lots of action when you jump from SAM to SAM at various locations.

There are good public information about the cold war era SAM systems and radars when Ukraine released the documentation, and there are as well fairly good photographs of the control panels etc. Sure it would require a lot of more work, but would be nice to sit front of a actual SAM desk for a change.

As well it would be nice to get a battery commander position, where targets gets distributed and commanding the units engagements, movements etc. All that with the CA map screen. And then build the networks with communication relay vans etc across the map, set the ROE for AI with all the ranges, zones etz.

All special SAM systems etc should come as Combined Arms add-ons, and there could be many third party studios that are interested to make these ground unit addons instead any of aviation parts. So you could buy complete sets for specific countries or era etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

but I can tell you from experience that if you like watching paint dry, a SAM module will be exciting

In reality it is boring as heck, but in DCS game it would be interesting as you are part of CA genre, so you don't just sit in one location but you are free to move between different sites and different tasks and there is lots of action in multiplayer where players will just want to air quake and head on to be killed.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.