Helios 1.4 - Taking to the Skys Once Again

I love all of the profiles that are available. I use the A-10C the most but have used the F/A18C a fair amount and the AV8 as well. Now that the F-16 is out I can't wait for that to come out for Helios now. Is there a ballpark estimation on when we'll see that come out for Helios now?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question... the F-14 uses the "DCS Generic" interface... is there a .lua file for it? I don't see a .lua file with "generic" in the file name?

From my last published profile, i reextructured the way export files control my helios profiles.

Right now the export.lua do not manage the helios export directly. It call a helios export file, with a series of includes that support the airplanes independently. In that way we dont need to have all the planes toghether in the export.lua

Now you got a export file for each airplane inside scripts/helios/mods.

you can even, uncomment the lines on the includes to eliminate airplanes !

The generic interface is used in several profiles taht do not have n actual interfcae in Helios. That the case for the F14 for example.

So if you take a look to the F14 file, inside scripts/helios/mods you can see how it works.

Edited by Capt Zeen

I love all of the profiles that are available. I use the A-10C the most but have used the F/A18C a fair amount and the AV8 as well. Now that the F-16 is out I can't wait for that to come out for Helios now. Is there a ballpark estimation on when we'll see that come out for Helios now?

I started to work on the F16 several weeks ago, but right now i am very bussy trying to pass a

official teacher certification by Epic (i am a Unreal Engine teacher in an academy).

Next week, probably i finish all my task with the certfication, and then i can continue with the F16 project.

I started to work on the F16 several weeks ago, but right now i am very bussy trying to pass a

official teacher certification by Epic (i am a Unreal Engine teacher in an academy).

Next week, probably i finish all my task with the certfication, and then i can continue with the F16 project.

By no means would I rush anyone doing this. I'm old and gray and can take a lot of naps while waiting for it. I thank all of y'all making these profiles and wish I had the knowledge to make them myself since I have more time than money on my hands.

I am 75 years old and retired and I could not have said it better than Hammerfly did.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

• 1 month later...

@BlueFinBima or anybody?

I don't see SOI available as an DCS A10C Interface? Is it possible to make this available?

If I could get the SOI for the A10C, then I could easily make a Helios profile to display all of the currently available commands for all the HOTAS Hats based on which sensor is SOI. This would help me and others learn and make it easier to jump back into the Hog after some time away.

Thanks,

Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Hi @snacko,

I have not seen evidence that DCS exports data that might infer where the SOI is. If the DCS A-10C cockpit does not expose this, then I wouldn't know how to make this available to a Helios profile. If you know of an implementation that has managed to determine the SOI, then I'm happy to explore further.

Cheers,

BlueFinBima

Latest Helios Virtual Cockpit Team version of Helios can be found on Github

BlueFinBima Helios YouTube

I use to know the DMS command for assigning SOI to the different MFD's and HUD but have forgotten that method. I've always pushed the OSB next to the lit up function on the MFD you want to have as SOI. In other words, if you want the right MFD as SOI and you have the Maverick page up on it, just push the OSB at the bottom of that MFD that has MAV lit up. Two presses of any button at the bottom of the MFD will make that MFD SOI in whatever mode you pressed at the bottom of the MFD.

Now that I've made this as clear as mud. I hope I didn't befuddle the whole thing up for you.

Edit: I just checked the manual and on the A-10C use the Coolie Hat to assign SOI. Up, long press makes HUD SOI. Left, Long makes the Left MFD SOI, and a Right, Long press makes the Right MFD SOI.

Edited by Hammerfly

I have not flown the A-10 in quite a few years, but as I recall, I never used Helios to make anything the SOI, I had always used the HOTAS as Hammerfly described above. Hope Im not mis-understanding the issue?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Yes, I think you two have misunderstood my request. But BluFin got it I think. Maybe Capt Z will know a way to get the SOI status from the game?

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of doing a UFC in Helios for the F16 using keystrokes for commands. I know for instance that {LCONTROL}{NUMPAD4} works for the number 4 on the UFC keypad in the jet. However, I cannot seem to find the right key combinations for {LCONTROL}{NUMPAD.} and {LCONTROL}{NUMPADENTER}. Both of the foregoing do not work. Are these commands allowed in Helios, and if so, what are they?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Zoid1

Thanks for the help. I don't think I ever would have figured out those combinations.

I am now moving on to the 2-way increment/decrement switch, the 4-way RTN/SEQ switch and the 3-way DRIFT switch. If you have the time, could you please tell me what switches you used for those items and how you coded them as I could not do either.

Thanks again.

Sobe,

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is just take a look at my F16 Helios file.

Helios_F16.png.f07c283f025d3dbcb47d6e2f2eee75fe.png

The profile has a working ICP (sans rotaries, which do not have keystrokes assigned at this point), A working EHSI, and is set up to export RWR, DED, and PLFD. The HSI uses modified custom bezels and buttons, which are found in Images/Custom_panels of the zip file. You will need to add these to the Images directory in Users\Documents\Helios\ Images on your computer. Files need to be in a sub-directory ...\Custom_panels\, otherwise you will have to re-map the images to whatever directory you put them in under Helios. Also included in the profile are custom View/Comms F-Keys panel and a TrackIR panel that I add to all of my Cptn Zeen profiles for convenience.

Edited by Zoid1
deleted obsolete version of helios zip file - see post #192

Zoid1

This is going to take me awhile to understand and work on. I began with the BMS/Falcon version of a Helios cockpit and just conformed the 6 viewports of DCS to the right locations. My next attempt was to complete the ICP and with your help, we shall see.

I tried to copy over the map button from the F18 profile to the F16 but no joy. Have you tried that?

If I ever get the above done, I will try the autopilot switches and then just wait for CZ's profile.

I will get back to you after I have worked on your zip file.

thanks again.

Zoid1

Much to my surprise, I was able to duplicate most of what you sent me. I got the steer point button to work and will try the others later.

To bad so many other commands are not yet implemented.

I assume that you fly with the MFDs only in the game cockpit so that the HSI shows up on the second monitor. I still have the MFDs on the second monitor, although without the mod, they are very hard to read.

Any thoughts on getting CZ's map to work here?

Thanks again and this really helped me understand more of Helios

EACE1CA3-C6C3-4E82-9DFF-F58C75B79CA8.thumb.jpeg.5d95c06bd64bbd15583b29778bbe2701.jpeg

This is my setup with my F16 Helios profile running

I found a way to get the he A/P, Laser and RF toggles to work by assigning key combos in game. I’ll attach my keyboard.diff.lua file for the key combinations I used in the version below (v3). I also used this to get the coarse and heading dials to work. The keyboard.diff.lua file goes in the //saved games/dcs.openbeta/config/Input/F-16C_50/keyboard/ directory.

Here is the new zip file with version 3

Zoid_F16_v3.zip

Edited by Zoid1
edited to attach new zip file version

Your MFDs seem to be darker than mine while your HSI is very readable. Did you do anything special to them?

What did you do to make the course and heading dials work? I used your custom boarders for the HSI and the two knobs, but they were very wonky.

Edited by sobe

Just edited last post with new profile version that includes the A/P panel and the keyboard.diff.lua.

My MFD's are Cougar MFDs with Eyoyo 8" screens behind running VGA at 800x600. They suffer from the Viewport Export bug that causes some viewports to be very dim at the moment. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

Did not do anything to the HSI viewport. That's just the way it exports on my system.

Coarse and Heading rotaries are indeed wonky because I've got the step function set too low (I think it is at 0.01 or so). I need to play around with that some more to see if I can get it to be a little snappier. You will need to use the keyboard.diff.lua file for the custom key combo assignments I used for those controls. (as well as for the A/P Master Arm Laser RF Panel)

Edited by Zoid1

Any thoughts on getting CZ's map to work here.

You can do this without difficulty if you have CZ’s latest F18C profile running on your rig. All you need to do is launch the Helios Profile Editor and open CZ’s latest F18 profile, then launch a second instance of Helios Profile Editor, and load your custom F16 profile. Copy and paste the NAV_panel and NAV_button from CZ’s profile to the top level [Monitor (n)] tab on your custom file. If you copy the NAV_panel first, all the necessary bindings should transfer to your custom profile. Be sure to set the eyeball on NAV_panel to OFF, and the lock icon to LOCKED in the Properties Tab.

Edited by Zoid1
Additional settings info

Zoid1

Got the map to work. Thanks.

I do not understand how to code the input and output for the 2 EHSI knobs. Where is the increment that you refer to?

• 2 weeks later...

BluFinBima or anyone else

I have tried to use BlueFinBima's Hornet IFEI and UFC and have followed his video using the F18 interface. However, even though the bindings appear in the profile editor, neither the IFEI nor the UFC seem to work or display any numbers. I cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have also deleted the viewport assignments for the IFEI and UFC and finally, in a last attempt, I have deleted the lines of code in the IFEI and UFC init files with respect to the name of the init that is required for CaptZeen's profile. But still no joy.

Edited by sobe

Lets see...

When i made the F18 profile, long time ago, Helios did not have the F18 interface or the generic interface, so i used the A10C interface to do it.

Later, bluefinbima made the F18 interface and his f18 devices like the ufc and ifei. But those use the f18 interface (of course)

So... if you want to use Bluefinbima f18 devices, make sure you are using his export files.

My export files for the f18 expect the A10C interface, so you can´t use my files with Bluefinbima devices.

Perhaps, one day, if i have enoutgh time, i'll make a f18 update using the new f18 helios interface. But is not one of my priorities right now.

BluFinBima or anyone else

I have tried to use BlueFinBima's Hornet IFEI and UFC and have followed his video using the F18 interface. However, even though the bindings appear in the profile editor, neither the IFEI nor the UFC seem to work or display any numbers. I cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have also deleted the viewport assignments for the IFEI and UFC and finally, in a last attempt, I have deleted the lines of code in the IFEI and UFC init files with respect to the name of the init that is required for CaptZeen's profile. But still no joy.

That makes sense. In his video, I assumed that he just skipped over the place where he made an export file. So the export file is made within Helios after he selects the F18 interface? That is something that is not obvious in the video. I never would have thought of that.

Edited by sobe

Using the BluFinBima UFC and the IFEI

Today, with the help of Capt Zeen, I was finally able to get the UFC and the IFEI working based on the video by BluFinBima on youTube. The “trick” is to use the export file that is created by the Helios program when you use the F18 interface developed by BluFinBima. It seems that the export file(s) created by Capt Zeen are not compatible with the F18 interface and the export file developed by BluFinBima. The advantage to using the UFC and the IFEI developed by BluFinBima is that no coding and no viewports are needed for the UFC and the IFEI. In addition, they are very easy to move around the screen.

As my eyesight is rather poor, I wanted to increase the size of the MFD viewports and together with the above UFC and IFEI, you get a cockpit that is easy to use in a “hot” jet. See attached

1742531313_newcockpit.thumb.png.ad5428caa848d8ca969553150ed180c6.png