How do you land? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #21
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
Tail down force increases main gear tire down force which makes wheel braking more effective. A higher normal (orthogonal) force allows a higher frictional force before slipping. Additionally and perhaps more importantly that negative tail lift is another source of drag. It's mentioned in the -1 for both normal and minimum run landing procedure.

As far as I know only the SB and stabs are the only aerodynamic surfaces under pilot control after touchdown. I have noticed that DCS's stabs "bounce" with full aft stick during 3-point rollout and I'm not sure if that's accurate. I think with all 3 LG WOW and wheel spin up full aft stick should achieve a steady constant stab angle. But I'm no FLCS expert.
Some very Interesting details here.

Thanks.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #22
Notso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
Tail down force increases main gear tire down force which makes wheel braking more effective. A higher normal (orthogonal) force allows a higher frictional force before slipping. Additionally and perhaps more importantly that negative tail lift is another source of drag. It's mentioned in the -1 for both normal and minimum run landing procedure.

As far as I know only the SB and stabs are the only aerodynamic surfaces under pilot control after touchdown. I have noticed that DCS's stabs "bounce" with full aft stick during 3-point rollout and I'm not sure if that's accurate. I think with all 3 LG WOW and wheel spin up full aft stick should achieve a steady constant stab angle. But I'm no FLCS expert.
Interesting..... I recall watching this video of a PACAF demo recently and noticed the stab bouncing a bit on rollout. Skip to 13:45 for short final and rollout. Unless he is relaxing the stick during the rollout and then pulling full-aft again, they do appear to move a fair amount on rollout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54GIZGLR_0I

Also here at 5:48, the stabs seem to be bouncing quite a bit during taxi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OghswuegVTA

Of course the last video is not full aft stick.

Last edited by Notso; 12-03-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Notso is online now   Reply With Quote