Is it possible to drop only 4 bombs at once?

DarkStar79

A strike aircraft like the Viggen should always drop all its bombs at once, this isn't a CAS aircraft loitering the battlefield looking for targets. If you insist on using ir for CAS, then load it with Mavericks :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It is possible to drop only 4 bombs... if you only load 4 bombs on your aircraft.

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

You can only really drop all your bombs at once. The Viggen's weapon system can't really process multiple bomb release instances. When you hit the pickle button, the plane assumes you are dropping everything.

Ok thx i thought so also. Its to bad thou. The viggen would be so much more useful in a CAS roll if you could to it. But I guess its loading mavricks or rockets. Rockets you can atleast fire 6 times with. :-)

Ok thx i thought so also. Its to bad thou. The viggen would be so much more useful in a CAS roll if you could to it. But I guess its loading mavricks or rockets. Rockets you can atleast fire 6 times with. :-)

CAS was never a huge concern with the Viggen. They had the SK-60 for that.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't know. I think that one of the biggest strengths of the Viggen as a module is that it is so specific in its role and so rigid in sticking with it by design. It is the kind of module that really rewards players who dig into its actual role and how it really did fit into a larger airpower ecosystem.

DCS World's community has a tendency to try and shoehorn every aircraft into every role and while this is understandable, it also results in a mindset where aircraft modules are judged not by what unique elements they bring to the table but rather by how they stack up against completely unrelated aircraft and how they fit into roles they were never really suited for. In a way, every aircraft becomes "multi-role" in the eyes of many DCS players even if they really aren't.

The Viggen isn't really suited for CAS but that isn't really a bad thing. It is a opportunity to explore other roles (strike, battlefield interdiction, anti-ship, etc) that often get glossed over by the larger community. When you fly missions specifically made around the roles the Viggen actually did, you will find that it can be quite interesting to say the least.

• Like 2

Gunpods + RB05 is a fine CAS loadout as well.

I do agree with statrekmike though, while you can sort of do CAS (as in actual CAS, not the whole "fire 12 maverics at random tanks thing" that is so prevalent in DCS) there are better aircraft for it, and that's perfectly fine.

• Like 1

I don't know. I think that one of the biggest strengths of the Viggen as a module is that it is so specific in its role and so rigid in sticking with it by design. It is the kind of module that really rewards players who dig into its actual role and how it really did fit into a larger airpower ecosystem.

DCS World's community has a tendency to try and shoehorn every aircraft into every role and while this is understandable, it also results in a mindset where aircraft modules are judged not by what unique elements they bring to the table but rather by how they stack up against completely unrelated aircraft and how they fit into roles they were never really suited for. In a way, every aircraft becomes "multi-role" in the eyes of many DCS players even if they really aren't.

The Viggen isn't really suited for CAS but that isn't really a bad thing. It is a opportunity to explore other roles (strike, battlefield interdiction, anti-ship, etc) that often get glossed over by the larger community. When you fly missions specifically made around the roles the Viggen actually did, you will find that it can be quite interesting to say the least.

Well said! :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

...you will find that it can be quite interesting to say the least.

Well said! :thumbup:

+1

I've been an A-10 nut ever since I saw one up close at a Boy Scouts Jamboree back in the early 80's. That said, no module has so fully engaged my interest and imagination as the Viggen, all due to its unique qualities/capabilities.

dcs_sig.jpg

The full story is this: Before Viggen was released there was quite many that asked if we could make it an option so that not all rockets where launched at the same time. I believe the practice rockets IRL Viggen has this feature. We implemented it and I tried it, like once, and found that it was neither very effective or fun to use the rockets this way (thats my opinion at least). So this was a popular request before users actually got their hands on the module and could try it out for themselves. I haven't really seen many use it post-release either but I might be wrong. I feel that if adding the option to drop individual bombs is a very wanted feature I might add it in, but I believe it would work even less well than the multi-shot rocket option.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

The full story is this: Before Viggen was released there was quite many that asked if we could make it an option so that not all rockets where launched at the same time. I believe the practice rockets IRL Viggen has this feature. We implemented it and I tried it, like once, and found that it was neither very effective or fun to use the rockets this way (thats my opinion at least). So this was a popular request before users actually got their hands on the module and could try it out for themselves. I haven't really seen many use it post-release either but I might be wrong. I feel that if adding the option to drop individual bombs is a very wanted feature I might add it in, but I believe it would work even less well than the multi-shot rocket option.

To me the question would be if the real Viggen had that option. If yes then it should be added just for realism if no then that's what it is and there is no way to just drop single bombs.

• Like 1

I would vote 100% for us to be able to use singel bombs or 4 bombs intervall. It must have been a reality at some point. Its just wierd to always drop all bombs. And it makes the Viggen less useful in modern multiplayer servers. If we could drop singel bombs we could atleast use the viggen in a limited CAS roll. And would make the Viggen even more fun. Atleast for me!

So you have my support! :-)

We implemented it and I tried it, like once, and found that it was neither very effective or fun to use the rockets this way (thats my opinion at least). So this was a popular request before users actually got their hands on the module and could try it out for themselves.
I personally think it will be the same case with individual bomb releases. I personally have no desire for it, but I support options for other users (so long as realistic settings are maintained).

Its just wierd to always drop all bombs.
You'll learn to appreciate it :music_whistling: and it really changes your tactics (and targets). The Viggen has a certain way it wants to be flown, and IMVHO "one pass" is a part of that philosophy.

And it makes the Viggen less useful in modern multiplayer servers.
That's a limitation of mission design, not so much on the part of HB/SAAB. Check out the "Growling Sidewinder Open Conflict" server, they have Interdiction targets well suited for the Viggen attack profile, and an all bombs salvo release.

viggen in a limited CAS roll
Check out RB-05A, RB75, ARAK M/70B, AKAN M/55, and just taking either a single 4 pack or 8x M/71's for CAS work. Viggen already has a limited CAS role, not sure how helpful individual bomb releases are.

Still always open to more features/options :thumbup:

I'm 100% against this, unless there is any evidence that this was actually possible IRL which I doubt it was. We shouldn't have fantasy features in our DCS aircraft, just to make them suitable to the typical CAS related DCS MP mission...

How about implementing actual real life features that are still missing (IR FRAMSTEGN functionality, RAT, ...) instead of implementing functions that to the best of our knowledge have never existed IRL?

I would vote 100% for us to be able to use singel bombs or 4 bombs intervall. It must have been a reality at some point. Its just wierd to always drop all bombs. And it makes the Viggen less useful in modern multiplayer servers. If we could drop singel bombs we could atleast use the viggen in a limited CAS roll. And would make the Viggen even more fun. Atleast for me!

Why is this weird?? :huh:

Again: The Viggen is not a CAS aircraft! It was designed for interdiction strikes which do not need the ability to drop single bombs, because you only pass over the target once and then GTFO or you will be killed by the now alerted defenders. The Viggen IRL was not designed for modern multiplayer servers either...

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

Nevermind the fact that flinging Mavs at random groups of tanks in Caucasus is not CAS...if you do want to do that mission in the Viggen, you already have options. You can either carry RB-05s and gunpods, or RB-75s. Both work far better than unguided bombs or rockets for that role.

Nevermind the fact that flinging Mavs at random groups of tanks in Caucasus is not CAS...if you do want to do that mission in the Viggen, you already have options. You can either carry RB-05s and gunpods, or RB-75s. Both work far better than unguided bombs or rockets for that role.

Indeed

Tornado3 small.jpg

Wait, does that mean the way the ARAK rockets are implemented currently is not realistic and they could only be fired all at once IRL? If so, this realistic setting should be the default and the "unrealistic option" should be selectable in the settings. Same for bombs IMHO.

• Like 1

Wait, does that mean the way the ARAK rockets are implemented currently is not realistic and they could only be fired all at once IRL? If so, this realistic setting should be the default and the "unrealistic option" should be selectable in the settings. Same for bombs IMHO.

Yes, from all the real life documentation known to us it was only possible to fire live rounds in salvos. Training rockets were apparently set up differently (although I haven't seen any hard evidence for that either), as it is much more convienient for target practice to fire them individually, so you don't have to RTB to rearm after each practice shot.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 11/27/2019 at 5:24 PM, statrekmike said:

Wow, I was researching the rockets employment on the Viggen, and came across this jewel of wisdom ... couldn't agree more. As a DCS player I do try to use the aircraft on the roles it was actually used ... that's why I dislike the Sea Eagle missile of the C-101 so much: it was never used on real life.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB