[BUG] Radar TWS wierdness

nighthawk2174

That first contact that shows on the TID has no velocity vector and if you move the radar scan volume from the target it that contact will drop after 3 sec (Track not built)

If you hold your scan volume on the target for 2 seconds the track will be built and it will have a velocity vector and it will take 14 seconds to drop it.

roger!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is you can't (and won't) be able to hit DCS AI with TWS shots easily since they treat it just like you had them in STT and fired. They're aware of the missile the moment it leaves the rail.

So it's generally more useful against players, but with how unstable DCS MP is right now compounded with this TWS bug and how vulnerable TWS is to lag in the first place, I find it's often smartest to just wait till they're closer and STT launch the phoenix to make sure it doesn't get lost due to lag, but at that point you've only got a longer range AIM-120 that can't be used reliably in TWS and gobbles up chaff, so against decent players it's fairly limited in what it can do.

Oh yes, i fully agree. Even recorder a video or two on the subject for that other thread, i think it was on AIM-54 performance. However, i don't think things will change (against the AI) until ED implements either new guidance model and-or new AI model.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this. The latest patch did wonders in reducing most ghost contacts, and I'd like to give kudos for that :thumbup:.

I did however notice that while generally much more resilient, when track hold is engaged the radar still seems prone to shed a new ghost track off of an existing track after a moment of ambiguity instead of correlate it back to the original track.

Here is a video of an example engagement against two J-11s starting at ~1:50 in (I've attached the tacview and can provide the server's track if needed). After I shoot and track hold is engaged, the targets maneuver, but neither violently nor into the notch. TWS seems to lose the back, right most track for a second, extrapolating it away from the targets position. In the next frame it has already regained contact, and generates a new track instead of correlating the position to the original one. I've seen this multiple times in the latest patch and it only seems to occur when track hold is enabled, without track hold the radar now does admirable job keeping things sorted.

trackhold.zip.acmi.zip

Sorry to revive this. The latest patch did wonders in reducing most ghost contacts, and I'd like to give kudos for that :thumbup:.

I did however notice that while generally much more resilient, when track hold is engaged the radar still seems prone to shed a new ghost track off of an existing track after a moment of ambiguity instead of correlate it back to the original track.

Here is a video of an example engagement against two J-11s starting at ~1:50 in (I've attached the tacview and can provide the server's track if needed). After I shoot and track hold is engaged, the targets maneuver, but neither violently nor into the notch. TWS seems to lose the back, right most track for a second, extrapolating it away from the targets position. In the next frame it has already regained contact, and generates a new track instead of correlating the position to the original one. I've seen this multiple times in the latest patch and it only seems to occur when track hold is enabled, without track hold the radar now does admirable job keeping things sorted.

Indeed! :thumbup:

Ran through my BVR training missions (mostly jousts) and both the tracks and the missile effectiveness seam somewhat easier to maintain now.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Indeed! :thumbup:

Ran through my BVR training missions (mostly jousts) and both the tracks and the missile effectiveness seam somewhat easier to maintain now.

From Wednesday to Thursday, after the new patch, I was managing to have kills with the AIM-54 against the AI at a range of 34nm. But on Friday it stopped work again.

I haven't tested it any more, my wife don't allow me to play on weekends. :cry:

Same problem as near_blind, even though theres a lot less ghosts now, TWS is still unreliable and is not a good choice to use if you want to actually kill something.

Just like in real life. The other modules exaggerate the capabilities of TWS and the radar shows the tracked targets in a very "perfect world" like way, the F-14 simulates TWS quite nicely.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello! Sry for my English

I have some problems with tws radar ( multiplayer )

I fly alone ( with rio bot)

1) When I take TWS mode, he's automatically take tws AUTO mode after launch

2) on TWS auto mode he want take all targets, it's reason why i loosing all my cathed targets, i need tracking 1 target, not all targets on radar

3) I can't change TWS auto mode to TWS man , maybe somebody know what i need to do? Or we need wait update by developers?

Edited by Hunter2.1

Летаю по священным скрижалям Хартмана

Ok done some testing of note the bug is still there, while I haven't tested closely packed contacts I did go ahead and see how one could generate false contacts if you sere a singleton. Now with a friend flying the 14 and me in an F15 we did a bit of testing. Below are the tacview and track, the test of interest is the last one starting at 20min. Every time the F14 fires his gun there is a false track on his screen. Starting at 21:40 I started a constant 5g turn. Well as you can see from the track every time I pass through the notch (I don't stay in it) a false contact is spawned often heading the opposite direction while i'm still being tracked. This always happened by passing through the notch and not staying in it. This seems odd as the time spent in the notch is minimal and should be well within the coast time of the radar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acogbv7fy1exnu0/F14_GhostContactsTest1.acmi?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpugdgja65bskub/F14_GhostContactsTest1.trk?dl=0

• 3 weeks later...