Walking in first person view

Devil 505

I remember ED saying you would be able to walk from the briefing room out to he hangar deck as well as topside to enter your aircraft. My question is, has some kind or is some kind of first person walking perspective being worked on to accomplish this and will it be fluid. I also remember them speaking about walking around the air boss station.

Wags can you comment on this or any other ED staff working the carrier? Just curious. It seems like this sort of immersion would be essential if you were really going to work interiors of the module.

If the walking animation is as it is now, that would be a huge disappointment.

So yeah...what is the plan?

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• 2 months later...

+1!

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Yes and I want to be able to throw dog tags from the stern into the ocean and look troubled

(on a more serious note. I couldn't care less :))

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team
I remember ED saying you would be able to walk from the briefing room out to he hangar deck as well as topside to enter your aircraft. My question is, has some kind or is some kind of first person walking perspective being worked on to accomplish this and will it be fluid. I also remember them speaking about walking around the air boss station.

Wags can you comment on this or any other ED staff working the carrier? Just curious. It seems like this sort of immersion would be essential if you were really going to work interiors of the module.

Hi

I don't think we have ever said you can walk from one station to another.

All announced feature's are here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/supercarrier/

DCS: Supercarrier is the most detailed and realistic simulation of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier ever created. A Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is a nuclear-powered fortress at sea with a crew of over 6,000 sailors and airmen. The angled flight deck with arrestor wires and four steam-powered catapults support air wing operations of up to 90 aircraft. The ship also includes a formidable air defense system that includes the RIM-7 Sea Sparrow Missile and RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) missiles, and Close-In Weapon System (CIWS) gun system. A Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is the ultimate power projection weapon.

10 ships of the class have been produced, of which, we will include five of the Theodore Roosevelt sub-class:

CVN-71 Theodore Roosevelt

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln

CVN-73 George Washington

CVN-74 John C Stennis

CVN-75 Harry S. Truman

For the early access release, we will provide the Roosevelt, Lincoln, and Washington.

Early access features of DCS: Supercarrier include:

Highly detailed polygon model with high-resolution textures that include realistic weathering and markings.

Animations that include arresting wires, jet blast deflectors (JBD), radar antennas, aircraft elevators, catapult bubble between catapults 1 and 2, steam from catapults, and risers (guard rails) around aircraft elevators when lowered.

Detailed lighting systems that includes the long-range line-up lights, IFLOLS, Animated "rabbit lights" along landing area centerline, deck lighting, floodlights, and ship number on the island.

Functional air defense weapon systems that include the Sea Sparrow, CIWS, and SeaRAM.

Deck parking allowing up to 14 aircraft to be spawned on deck.

Dynamic carrier radio communications for Case I, Case II, and Case III recoveries.

Static deck vehicles (AS32A-31A Flight Deck Tractor, AS32A-32A Hangar Deck Tractor, AS32A-36 Aircraft crash and salvage crane, P-25 Fire Fighting Vehicle) that can be placed by mission designers.

Animated deck crew for bow and waist catapults launches.

Static deck crew that can be placed by mission designers.

During the early access period, the following additional features will be added:

Air Boss station.

Briefing room.

Occupy the Landing Signal Officer (LSO) station with PLAT camera, including VR support.

More LSO station interactions.

Combined Arms integration.

"Burble" effect.

Wave off and bolter return to pattern radio messages.

Functional barricade net.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hope one day it can be done. A great detail that will turn my experience into another new level :)

I´m eager for the times ahead.

Best regards,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

-1 IMHO not needed this is flight sim not RPG....

• Like 1

Take a look my mods :joystick: 

dcs_footer500.jpg

CPU: i7 7700 | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A | RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 | Output: Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Edifier C2XD 2.1 | Controlls: Saitek X-56 Rhino | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals | Saitek Multi/Radio/Switch Panels | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Elgato Stream Deck XL | OpenTrack with LaserClip | VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro plugin

You really think so? Maybe not a first person view, but walking to the jet and getting in should be something ED should look into implementing, IMHO.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

What does walking have to do with RPG? IRL you walk to your plane and you do a pre-flight walkaround. Having all aspects of flight in the sim is the very definition of simulation. You also don't skip taxi just because it's not flying.

Danger zone!

Ugh no. Let's not waste developer resources on the Graveyard of Bad UIs™ the same as so many other games have done (and ultimately abandoned due to how much it took and how uselessly little it yielded). It's far too costly to be done well, and it's one of those things where, if it can't be done well it shouldn't be done at all.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Ugh no. Let's not waste developer resources on the Graveyard of Bad UIs the same as so many other games have done (and ultimately abandoned due to how much it took and how uselessly little it yielded). It's far too costly to be done well, and it's one of those things where, if it can't be done well it shouldn't be done at all.
+1 exactly

Nokia 6.1 with Tapatalk

• Like 1

Take a look my mods :joystick: 

dcs_footer500.jpg

CPU: i7 7700 | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A | RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 | Output: Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Edifier C2XD 2.1 | Controlls: Saitek X-56 Rhino | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals | Saitek Multi/Radio/Switch Panels | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Elgato Stream Deck XL | OpenTrack with LaserClip | VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro plugin

They'd have to make decent 3d model of some insides, corridors and rooms, plus door animations so no way in the years to come. Walking on the deck though should be quite easy (or walk around before flight at land AB too) - it is technically in game right now.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

They'd have to make decent 3d model of some insides, corridors and rooms, plus door animations so no way in the years to come. Walking on the deck though should be quite easy (or walk around before flight at land AB too) - it is technically in game right now.

Let me quote from the current description;

During the early access period, the following additional features will be added:

Air Boss station.

Briefing room.

Occupy the Landing Signal Officer (LSO) station with PLAT camera, including VR support.

I don't think that modelling is the issue here. Especially since they want to model briefing room, which opens the possibility to expand it and allow walk from there to the plane. Realistically of course, this is a nice to have feature that can come much later after the release.

Danger zone!

Let me quote from the current description;

I don't think that modelling is the issue here. Especially since they want to model briefing room, which opens the possibility to expand it and allow walk from there to the plane. Realistically of course, this is a nice to have feature that can come much later after the release.

Wags himself responded “ they have no plans to make the super carrier walkable”.

To me this means that they have no plans to make the super carrier walkable.

They have released a pretty comprehensive roadmap of the future and no where does it even elude to making the super carrier walkable so in my personal opinion, they have no plans to make the super carrier walkable.

But just maybe......

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Totally agree, some people are getting carried away. I play this game to fly aircraft, not to walk around on a ship and look at stuff. :music_whistling:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;4234637']Totally agree' date=' some people are getting carried away. I play this game to fly aircraft, not to walk around on a ship and look at stuff. :music_whistling:[/quote']

Somewhat agree, somewhat don’t. This originated as a flight sim, yes. But it has morphed into a quasi RPG. It’s in the name. Digital Combat Simulator World... combined arms? it’s not a full RGP but the possibility is there. If you want to fly, then just fly. But I rather enjoy playing JTAC and getting shot at for my squadron every once in a while. Just adds to the experience. I think a short walk would just add another piece to the experience and draw more players. If not, skip the walk. Who knows? Maybe one day DCS would allow us to replay the entirety of the air, sea and ground attack in the Gulf War? That’s the cool thing about RPG. You can choose your “role”. But just because you don’t want it doesn’t mean DCS shouldn’t attempt to do it for people that do.

Time to fly!!!

F/A-18C Hornet, i9 9900K OC 5.0G, 1TB Intel 660 M.2 SSD, Z390 Aorus Pro, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, GeForce RTX 2080TI, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T-Rudder, Oculus Rift S, Open Wheeler GEN2 Sim Chair w/ Warthog Upgrade.

If you fly DCS in VR you will understand it.

If you fly DCS in VR you will understand it.

I fly DCS in VR and I can't for the life of me understand. If you're asking for an option to do this, great. Knock yourself out, but if one day I have to walk form the ready room to the plane, just to play in VR, I'm gonna be pissed.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Right now you can’t even stand on a carrier for more than a few seconds before you slide, fall through and die. And you have to time your ejection to land on the deck to just do that. Same thing in the water, you just sink and die. Much would have to be done to fix that which is obviously not a priority.

If we visit “rooms” on the Supercarrier, I imagine we will just be teleported there via some GUI interface.

There will be no realistic walking around really unless that walking animation is totally redone. Doubtful that will happen in my lifetime.

While it would be a cool feature, I doubt most pilots would spend much time with it after initially checking it out. Then would come the many complaints about what is wrong with it.

So then...

“Battle Stations!”

“Maverick! Bogies in bound! Pilots, man your aircrafts!”

“Sorry Boss...I am busy walking around the Officers Mess, need coffee, I will be there in a few”.

“Try Iceman.” “Hmmm which ladder goes up to the flight deck?” “Oh wait, is that the briefing room? Gotta check that out first too”.

“Abandon Ship! Abandon Ship!”

Might as well Abandon this thread as well.

Edited by MegOhm_SD
  • Like 1

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Flight simulators should (and has been!) a light RPG.

We can look through the history of military aviation simulators and almost all have this thing you have seen "Career", be it a mode or all based upon that.

In DCS we have that same thing, since the Lock-On at least (don't recall now from Flanker and don't care to dive to another PC to check it out):

Lock-On-Modern-Air-Combat-Patch_1.jpg

You can see that at the bottom "Log" for Pilot Log Book.

There you get stored all your pilot information, success, deaths etc.

And that is what the DCS World multiplayer requires, especially for dynamic campaign. Where every virtual pilot gains experience and skills (higher G tolerance, more challenging missions) etc. And based to all that your pilot death can be permadeath. Die, and it is all gone. All the hours you put to the pilot is vanished. Your pilot served the country and all the money invested to that pilot is now as ashes on ground.

That is a feature that puts every player to value their actions, and fear that they shouldn't be doing any foolish things as there is penalty there. That is why such simulators had dedicated "Training" modes, just like we have in DCS. That mode didn't at all affect your selected pilot career. You could crash and burn as many times you wanted, no problems.

We do not need any stupid Battlefield 3 -kind multimedia things:

where we would be walking through ship to places. But some movement would be possible be made so that there ain't such a "Press Shift+F11 to island observation deck" kind jumping around, but you could actually move between different stations in the briefing/sorties room.

As at one day, ED needs to add such capabilities for the Combined Arms, for the SAM rooms, for GCI, for ATC, for AWACS etc etc. You simply need to have some movement animated in their corresponding locations/spaces.

And all the piloting stuff should be possible be used in Hard Core version: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=262356

One of the major problems in the DCS multiplayer is the air-quake and all foolish things people do. Because there is no penalty what so ever for them to do those! They don't need to bring the aircraft back to base. They don't need to try to survive. It is nothing really. Just stupid fooling around here and there, cockiness in taking stupid risks and engage everything that moves etc.

The Super Carrier is one of the first modules that really needs a multiple dedicated locations for players to station. Like I could guarantee that there are players who would love to sit in the front of the radar operator on the deck.

TOPGUNRADARGUY.thumb.jpg.6097702aa9b46bb76664916774d37256.jpg

You would as well be impressed about amount of people that would love to jump between different SAM units to engage air targets. Someone to sit in EW radar trailer and guiding flights to identify targets and guide them to fly missions etc.

While the DCS IS a flight simulator, its name stands for Digital (PC/Computer) Combat (Military focused) Simulator (Well, yeah, simulating things as well letting to play things).

And that includes all from ground to air and to sea. Not just flying, but as well sitting in a MBT and shooting stuff up!

That is now 8 years old trailer for it. And problem has been that DCS terrain engine, AI etc didn't get the time to be updated and implemented in the manner that is possible. But now there is lots of things going in DCS core functions, they have RTS game developer helping them to make the RTS elements to DCS. And that is the time when you really need to lay out foundation to all kind core functions like dedicated multiplayer spots for units, the terrain engine for autogen terrain elements, FLIR/Radar operational limits and characteristics etc. And most importantly AI that they actually work nothing like the DCS now currently. It is about having to command them realistic manner, as military units instead "group and waypoints".

Role Playing Game parts are just minor, but very important part of all that. It touches more about the pilots than anything else, because the heavy focus of the DCS in the aviation, the pilots should be very much fearing for their lives. As if you don't fear that you get shot down and you lose something very valuable, there is no thrill. You could very well be flying in invincible aircraft and taking hundreds of shots and just keep blowing up enemies and pretend to be a super pilot.

In single player you simply in the moment of exit select "Save the process" or reverse to time you started. In multiplayer you are suppose to be dedicated for the task to play among other players, not just alone as you will. Combination of dynamic campaign and multiplayer means that if you disconnect middle of your sortie, AI should take over and either try to complete mission as best it can, or simply RTB.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I fly DCS in VR and I can't for the life of me understand. If you're asking for an option to do this, great. Knock yourself out, but if one day I have to walk form the ready room to the plane, just to play in VR, I'm gonna be pissed.

Don't worry, there will be a "SPRINT" binding too so you don't need to just walk to your plane....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.