Ka50 NVGs are broken in 2.5

Sh4rk

I think NVGs are broken in 2.5 anyway, I'm hoping it's something else on the fix list.

Yes they are broken.

This is how they look in 2.5

unknown.png

And this video shows how they looked before

People will rush to say 'yes NVGs look like you're looking through a blurry toilet paper tube' but here's the Ka50 NVGs for you, from the manual:

unknown.png

Now grab 2 toilet paper tubes and put them parallel over your eyes, you'll find your FOV is more like a football like in the above video, than the round view you now see in DCS. Because each eye can see a bit more to each side.

Also in real life you're not looking at the end of a toilet paper tube 80 cm from your eyes on a screen, so the feeling is a whole lot different.

Then the cockpit lighting, specially the NVG compatible lighting, in the Ka50 is also broken, but that is not as bad as the downgraded "generic" NVGs that the Ka50 has now.

It's like they just slapped on that NVG mod from 2013 for lack of a better one, when the game already had a nice working NVG before 2.5.

Can we please have this looked at? I believe same case is present in Mi8.

I personally have never seen an aircraft mounted NVGs that are monocular due to problems inherent with it. Only reason I've seen monocular used is with soldiers when they have to use their other eye to aim their weapon.

Now grab 2 toilet paper tubes and put them parallel over your eyes, you'll find your FOV is more like a football like in the above video, than the round view you now see in DCS.

Real NVGs do look like a circle, but really I don't mind since this is a game and monitors are small. If you want it to look real, then the circle is real. Also, the field of view is fairly close. OVN-1 goggles have a 38 degree field of view, so if the end of the goggles are 2 feet from the cockpit panel, you should see about 16-17 inches of the panel.

Even the blur on the new goggles is closer to real life than that old effect where you could actually read the cockpit instruments.

Edited by AlphaOneSix

they defiantly aren't broken....unique maybe? I prefer this natural look to the can see anything like daylight which was there last incarnation.

the trouble is that you want to see like daylight at night, I'm sure I'm right that the shark wasn't even made for night time work anyway

they defiantly aren't broken....unique maybe? I prefer this natural look to the can see anything like daylight which was there last incarnation.

the trouble is that you want to see like daylight at night, I'm sure I'm right that the shark wasn't even made for night time work anyway

Right, at least not the version we fly in DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

It wasn't made for night ops, or rather, it couldn't be made capable of it because they had a lot of trouble fitting in FLIR and EWR (which came later on the Ka-52). But wasn't made completely incapable of it either. Hence it has NVGs and separate, adjustable, NVG compatible cockpit lighting. And a night mode HUD. And illumination rockets (S-8OM).

The previous NVGs didn't allow you to 'see like daylight', they did blur the cockpit gauges, the Shkval, ABRIS, and even the HUD (even in night mode, unless you kept it very, very dim). Any lights and reflections from outside had very high bloom, like you can see in the video. And the NVGs couldn't be used at dusk, because they'd still make things too bright. Even at night you have to take them off sometimes, to operate the instruments.

The point is, the Ka50 in game had different NVGs before, and now it has the same ones as every other aircraft in game. It's nowhere as "unique". I assume when ED had previously modeled the NVGs they have done it to be accurate to the real aircraft, but those NVGs weren't compatible with Deferred Shading (as everything else in the Ka50) and that's why they were disabled.

The previous NVGs were also overall better suited for a game where the pilot is looking at a flat screen, with limited FOV per se (unless you're flying in VR, and even then).

If you have a monitor and TrackIR, limiting the FOV to a round circle in the middle of the screen is silly, as the circle will stay in the middle of the screen and not move along your line of sight as you slew the view around with your head. As a result, you have to twist your head even further to put whatever you want to see in the middle of the screen, and you can't look at it without straining your eyes to the sides, unlike would happen should you be wearing real NVG goggles, while trying to look through a window or at a monitor screen. Does that make sense?

It's even worse if you have multiple monitors in surround and a ultra-wide view, like I do (you may notice my wide resolution and aspect ratio of 28:9). Previously, the NVGs would fill up more of the center of the screen, so using them was less of an issue (or none at all).

If you still think the new NVGs are 'more real' and want to 'suffer' realism, it's your call. I don't see the point in making a simulation a worse experience than what reality would be, and an awful one at that. I want the old NVGs back! ;)