a-a tacan

eatthis

It works, I've used it.

Put the TACAN on A/A and set it between 1 and 63, the other aircraft needs to set it between 64 and 126.

If its really close you will only see the 0 digit of the distance moving very little.

wouldnt you want to match channels? i'm so confused...

No, A A TACAN needs to be exactly 63 channels apart to work.

so if 1 is channel 1x and the other is 64x then you will both be able to use tacan and see eachother??

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

so if 1 is channel 1x and the other is 64x then you will both be able to use tacan and see eachother??

You can think of each channel as a talk frequency and a listen frequency pair. Maybe channel A talks on 1001 MHz and listens on 1002 MHz. If both airplanes are on channel A then talking isn't heard. Instead one plane is on channel B which talks 1002 MHz and listens 1001 MHz.

Then first plane talks 1001 MHz and second plane listens 1001 MHz.

Second plane responds 1002 MHz and first plane listens 1002 MHz.

So to have A/A TACAN between two normal airplanes they need to find channels A and B which have their frequencies criss-crossed like this. I know Y-band with channels 63 apart do this. I'm not actually sure if any of the X-band channels line up properly. Also one or more Hornet channels don't work because it conflicts with some other radio system so don't give up on first failure, try a few.

wouldnt you want to match channels? i'm so confused...

Sorry I wrote fast at work and forgot about the 63 channels apart.

One sets the channel between 1 and 63 and the other sets the channel of the other aircraft + 63.

If one sets 10 the other then sets to 73 (same band).

X band also works. In some cases Y seems to break, but X almost always works.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII