Reputation System

NineLine

But look at it from ED's perspective. People being people will bitch and moan at the drop of the hat. Just look at any "GIVE ME BETA NOW!!! WHEN WILL IT BE FIXED????" threads.

The problem is that ED is now adjudicating pissing contests between snowflakes who got his/her feelings hurt and decide to give a negative feedback.

And if one does get a negative feedback that's not warranted (using the common sense rule), whom do you contact for an appeal process?

It seems to me it's a lot of headache for nominal gain. Anyone who hangs around here enough knows who is reputable. People like BitMaster, Sokol_BR, Silver_Dragon, ED Testers, Chuck, et al go out of their way to help.

The only way I could see it working is if the + or - feedbacks are there for the whole world to see. This way, people can see who the snowflakes are. I don't mean the total tally, I mean the actual feedback with the context of the post.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team

Other option.

Don't give reputation for person, rather give reputation for an actual post (like in all social networks).

Good posts could be promoted somehow (in every topic could be one "golden" post).

PS. X (not 10, but certain amount) golden posts could trigger one "star" for post author. ;)

That would encorage forum users being more useful for the community and slightly reduce chance of altering someone's reputation with one easy click.

Edited by Laivynas

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак

• ED Team
Are you going to disable PM's as well then?

No

Although the PM system can also be abused it is easier to manage, abusive PM's can be reported and dealt with.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

phew thought it was just me

It is collective punishment on all if only a very few are abusing it

but then again I have experienced this system being abused myself

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

It does seem to be a broad brush on this forum feature for the majority. Just saying.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Enhance it and bring it back. Don't punish us for the minority sins (even if it makes your life easier with moderation). It's not a solution to just get rid of it. Implement a better version of it and don't let us lose our hard gained rep points. ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

Personally, the idea of an easy way to acknowledge a contribution seems a useful method of developing a sense of community on the forums.

If people were abusing the system, then dealing with their behaviour directly would be the better option.

It doesn't really improve the sense of community if instead of using the rep system, offenders just send a PM with the same content. (I was once called a c**t on these forums through a PM, I've never really been abused through the Rep system).

If policing the offenders is too difficult, then the other option would be to retain the positive aspect of acknowledgement, but remove the avenue for negativity by disabling comments and negative rep - just the (+) against the post...

Cheers.

Tbh, I'm not 16. I don't care how many likes or retweets I get, and have never hesitated to speak my mind for fear of a ding to my internet points. System can stay or go, but ultimately useless and doesn't matter.

The largest boost I ever got was related to a screenshot I posted.

The largest hit I ever got was over saying that DCS shouldn't bother with casual friendly 'lite modules' beyond the already existing Flaming Cliffs ones.

Rep has more to do with length of time spent here and frequency of posting, not 'quality' or 'niceness'.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I agree with the decision! Now can we also get rid of the warning points too, please? :D

:thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

I agree with the decision! Now can we also get rid of the warning points too, please? :D

Can't have your cake and eat it too, right? ;)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Very good. I think this was a feature that only increases hard feelings. Not long ago someone with enough points had chosen to nuke my entire reputation to zero because of a post he didn't like. Now don't get me wrong, I really did not give a shit but I was feeling less of the community because of that.

I would have repped up a few posts here to be honest.

It's not like I had the higher rep out there, but it was a nice system to know about people's thoughts, "make friends", know who is a real contributor to the community, etc. I had a slowly grown rep and mostly it was because singles posts that all of a sudden people liked for no reason, but knowing they liked it and why was quite an interesting feature. Not to mention the "single vote" system so we couldn't vote a guy more than once was a good control system IMO. It's true sometimes people abused voting negative as a sort of revenge just because you didn't agree with them, and I had a few of those being active in several WWII matters threads were disagreement was usual, still that wasn't the end of the World and in general I think it worked quite well. I can understand though that if in some ways it was a headache for the admins because some unruly guys they prefer to delete the whole system. But yes, we are all playing guilty for a few mean guys.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Heh I was quite proud of my 370 points of rep, over a decades worth of accumulation gone in a heartbeat, feels like being stripped of a chest full of campaign ribbons or medals :lol:

Edited by Mustang

I once became forum friends with a member after accidentally neg-repping him. Seems my apology was sufficiently sincere. :D

There are at least a dozen posts in this thread alone I'd have liked to +rep because they express exactly what I'm thinking. It was a very nice, simple, quick way to say "thanks" without posting just "+1" and cluttering the thread.

That's why...

Don't give reputation for person, rather give reputation for an actual post (like in all social networks).

... this is a wonderful idea!

Sometimes I strongly disagree with a member on one topic, and agree on another. With the old rep system, I could only give reputation to that member once in a while, or subtract it.

Having the ability to vote for posts instead of users would be a great feature!

Also, if any such feature were to come in the future (or the old rep system returned, which would be better than no such system at all IMHO), please with sugar on top guys kick those Tapatalk-people's butts so that damn app knows how to use it.

Voting posts would be a nice feature indeed. It would let people know straight away if an information is particularly relevant or give an idea about the general consensus on the topic being discussed.

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I once became forum friends with a member after accidentally neg-repping him. Seems my apology was sufficiently sincere. :D

There are at least a dozen posts in this thread alone I'd have liked to +rep because they express exactly what I'm thinking. It was a very nice, simple, quick way to say "thanks" without posting just "+1" and cluttering the thread.

That's why...

... this is a wonderful idea!

Sometimes I strongly disagree with a member on one topic, and agree on another. With the old rep system, I could only give reputation to that member once in a while, or subtract it.

Having the ability to vote for posts instead of users would be a great feature!

Also, if any such feature were to come in the future (or the old rep system returned, which would be better than no such system at all IMHO), please with sugar on top guys kick those Tapatalk-people's butts so that damn app knows how to use it.

Agree. So now we have to spam the threads with posts like this?:

+1 rep

Beside that

I got some nice feedback for some posts and in my opinion that overules the neg. reps from some people that can't except to be wrong sometimes. To be able to "upvote" posts would also help people to find the right answer in big threads. Sometimes the problem is solved in post 30 and afterwards are some slightly off topic discussions. Someone that has the same question could see the upvoted answer immediately and does not have to go through the whole thread. I often found the right thread through Google search on the forums in 5 sec and after 5 min of reading posts I found the answer.

To be honest, the old system was good enough, as I said it could be improved in many ways. And the old system is much better than nothing really.

But with the old system, in case someone gave a reputation to you, it would show you the exact post. So I don't think that would change that much. You're still receiving a reputation from a post.

Agree. So now we have to spam the threads with posts like this?:

+1 rep

Beside that

I got some nice feedback for some posts and in my opinion that overules the neg. reps from some people that can't except to be wrong sometimes. To be able to "upvote" posts would also help people to find the right answer in big threads. Sometimes the problem is solved in post 30 and afterwards are some slightly off topic discussions. Someone that has the same question could see the upvoted answer immediately and does not have to go through the whole thread. I often found the right thread through Google search on the forums in 5 sec and after 5 min of reading posts I found the answer.

I don't like this idea, please no... Hoggit/Reddit is ALL about downvoting others you don't like. This would be a mess. It's so easy to downvote others without posting a comment or giving the person that is receiving the downvote something like "Vitor downvoted your post" or something, the person will never know that you downvoted his/her post. It's so easy and it will be abused all day long, seven days a week. Just like Reddit.

I don't like this idea, please no... Hoggit/Reddit is ALL about downvoting others you don't like. This would be a mess. It's so easy to downvote others without posting a comment or giving the person that is receiving the downvote something like "Vitor downvoted your post" or something, the person will never know that you downvoted his/her post. It's so easy and it will be abused all day long, seven days a week. Just like Reddit.
Yeah no downvoting! Only "upvotes"