DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

Home Fries

DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs  

19 members have voted

1. 1. DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

• Keep DH/DT with Hdg Hold and BA/RA with Alt Hold (keep apples with apples)
    • Map BA/RA with Hdg Hold and DH/DTwith Alt Hold (like actual panel switches)

sobe,

Please understand that the following is not intended as a "RTFM" type statement; I just want to make sure that the instructions I included with the profile are clear. That said, have you read over the Setup Guide? This takes you through getting the proper drivers (if necessary), extracting the profile, and setting up the basics in both the script as well as in the DCS Options menu. If you have and it's still not clear, then please PM me and I can revise the guide. If going to the Setup Guide wasn't the obvious decision, then I'll add something to the ReadMeFirst.txt file.

To answer your questions, hc, kb, and wh are identifiers for the controllers (details on p.14 of the Setup Guide):

• hc is for HOTAS Cougar. In your case, you can ignore this.
  • kb is for Keyboard. You will always import this diff.lua to your keyboard column in the DCS Options Controller menu.
  • wh is for Warthog. Import this to your Thrustmaster Combined column.

What these files will do is overwrite your existing keyboard assignments (so back them up if you have concerns). Your Warthog Stick/Throttle assignments should remain intact because the TARGET profile combines everything into a "Thrustmaster Combined" controller, which is seen as a separate controller by DCS.

For the _Custom LUA files, don't worry about those right now. When you get more comfortable with the script, then you can apply them. The only thing the custom UH-1 file does is add the sight elevation and sight intensity settings to joystick axes, allowing you to use the Friction Control lever to adjust sight elevation when the XM60 sight is deployed. The _Custom LUA files are completely optional, and the profile will work just fine without them.

Again, I recommend reading the Setup Guide all the way through (appendices optional, though ArtMan_NL's Appendix C on setting up JSGME is very useful). This guide was designed to get you from nothing to up and running without a lot of extra details (which are available in the Advanced Configuration Guide).

Hope this helps,

HF

Edited by Home Fries

Home fries

No offense taken. Having not used target before, the order of things just confused me. Back to the manuals. thanks for the reply.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Dang! I wasn't aware of a TARGET update.

I'll have to get back to you, but I'm going to assume it isn't compatible because I use a different target.tmh file that fixes some of the bugs in the original TARGET header. At the very least, I have to fully test everything with the Cougar and Warthog with the updated header file.

EDIT: unless you have the new pedals, hold off on the update.

Just downloaded it, quite reluctant to update before I'm told :D

Esp. as you have to uninstall the previous first. It was reading the blurb about the new pedals that lead me to check and see if there was an update...

As I only have a Cougar, Elite pedals, and MFDs I'm quite content to hold off!

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Great news!

After reviewing the new TARGET header, the only differences between my modified target.tmh and the version in 3.0.16 is that 3.0.16 includes the new throttle and rudder pedals. In other words, the bugs have been fixed and there is no longer a need to use a specialized header file. Of course, it also means that they didn't fix the bug with two TQS axes being swapped either, but at least I don't have to update my code.

For people who want to use my profile with the new version of TARGET, open DCS World.tmc in the Script Editor, go to line 116 and replace

[color=#1e90ff][b]include[/b][/color] [color=#a52a2a]"Common/target.tmh"[/color]    

with

[color=#1e90ff][b]include[/b][/color] [color=#a52a2a]"target.tmh"[/color]    

(i.e. delete Common/ )

Note that even without the above change, the profile should still work with the new version of TARGET, as the net changes in 3.0.16 only add the new controllers.

I should have 1.51 out shortly to address this as well as add a work-in-progress version of the SA-342 Gazelle.

Edited by Home Fries

I have a request for Warthog users using the new TARGET 3.0.16 software:

Please load a profile that uses the ENG OPER switches (e.g. UH-1, P-51) and see if you get any keyboard response when you move the Left ENG OPER switch between NORM and MOTOR.

For some reason, this switch no longer works in TARGET. I've tried using an older profile with an older header file, and I've also checked in the Device Manager which shows the Warthog switch itself is responsive. The Right ENG OPER works fine, but the left does not.

I was wondering if anybody else experienced this.

From another post:

TARGET 3.0.16 EOLMOTOR I just updated to the new TARGET software v3.0.16. Now for me the EOLMOTOR button does not show any output (e.g. in the event tester). Neither for "press" nor "release".

I'm using the advanced configuration.

Can anyone confirm this?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Thanks!

That settles it. If you don't need TARGET 3.0.16, stick with the old version of TARGET and use the modified target.tmh file. Line 116 in the dcs world.tmc should read:

[color=#1e90ff][b]include[/b][/color] [color=#a52a2a]"Common/target.tmh"[/color]

At least until things are sorted out.

To All:

I generally use a Helios profile when flying DCS modules. Capt Z has just released a new Huey profile for Helios and for the first time, he has added keyboard commands to the standard profile. I am wondering how Home Fries Warthog profile can be used with Helios. Before this, it was not an issue as Capt Z just used the standard keyboard commands.

All of Capt Z's keyboard additions seem to appear at the end of his default lua file so the question is-can they just be copied to the end of some Home Fries Huey profile file? I think that there are just a few keyboard conflicts, but I am not sure where Capt Z's changes would go as there seems to be a keyboard diff file and a default file. Any thoughts?

Edited by sobe
modified first paragraph

sobe,

For what it's worth, my keyboard diff.lua files don't normally remove or change key assignments, but rather add to them. Therefore, the Helios profiles that use standard key assignments should work.

There are some notable exceptions where I changed basic functionality for convenience. These are with the A-10C and Ka-50, where use of the numbers and numeric keypad apply to the numbers on the UFC and PVI-800 respectively, but this should only affect the slow pan views and some of the A-10C/Ka-50 shortcuts. The NADIR on the SA-342 Gazelle will also use the numeric keypad, with other functions for the radios TBD.

If you do run into incompatibilities with standard key combinations, please let me know. This may be an issue with FC3 because I had to shoehorn functions on different aircraft to the same profile, but let me know regardless so I can at least attempt a workaround.

Huey Helios file

Home Fries

In furtherance of my discussion above, I am not sure what files I should send you with respect to Capt Z's Huey Helios profile. Here is from his read me file

- default.lua:

I have included in the profile, all the buttons and switches of the cockpit. Helios control those switches across the keyboard interface, so, for that, i create a new defaul.lua to implement all the unassigned controls in the simulator.

You need to copy this file to the proper folder in your installation. (see INSTALLATION bellow)

I recomend you use some mod manager, like JSGME, to copy it, because in each update of the game, this file can be changed by the developers.

- copy the default.lua file in the installation DCS folder\Mods\aircraft\UH-1H\Input\UH-1H\keyboard ,

Capt Z's changes are at the end of the file.

default.lua

Edited by sobe
new last sentence

Ok, the file you posted isn't a diff.lua, but rather the update of the original keyboard file. Usually this is used for adding commands (as opposed to changing keys), so this is a good sign.

Here's how it works:

• Each module will have a list of commands and default mappings available for different controllers. These will be located in the actual Mods folder in the DCS World install, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-86\Input\F-86F\keyboard. These files are usually called default.lua, though there are exceptions for specifically mapped controllers such as the HOTAS Warthog with the A-10C module.
  • If you change the mappings at all, these changes are tracked in your Saved Games folder as a diff.lua file (e.g. Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\F-86F\keyboard\default.diff.lua). The diff.lua file tracks only differences between your custom mappings and the original mappings in default.lua.

For each profile, I create a set of diff.lua files. In three instances, I have also added default.lua files for joystick and/or keyboard (FC3, UH-1, and F-86), but these installations are optional and the profile will work just fine without them. In the case of the UH-1, the only custom file is a joystick file, not a keyboard file, so the default.lua from Capt Z's Helios profile should work. I will compare the files to be sure, but I doubt that there will be an issue.

I recommend using JSGME to install the Helios default.lua, as is also recommended by Capt Z. Check Appendix C in my Setup Guide for details on how to use JSGME if you haven't yet done it for DCS World.

Home Fries

The initial test of combining Helios with your Target profile seems to be a success. The gauges in the pilot seat worked and your profile controlled the helo.

Some questions:

I am still having issues with your Trackir pause control. I cannot get it to work and sometime the Trackir center control ignores me. I am using your key control commands for them. I will work on this issue some more on Thursday.

Still a little confused on H4D and H4P for trimming. Do you use H4D or H4P for Trimming and then can use either S3 or H4P or just S3 to center without changing the trim? In your last email, you state-use H4P for big trims and then after you release H4P, use S3 to center without changing the trim. Sorry for the confusion.

I hope you had a good dinner.

The initial test of combining Helios with your Target profile seems to be a success. The gauges in the pilot seat worked and your profile controlled the helo.

Glad to hear it.

I am still having issues with your Trackir pause control. I cannot get it to work and sometime the Trackir center control ignores me. I am using your key control commands for them. I will work on this issue some more on Thursday.

One thing you can do is open up the Event Tester in the TARGET script editor and see if you get the proper key commands when you press the buttons. This should also affect the TrackIR as well.

Still a little confused on H4D and H4P for trimming. Do you use H4D or H4P for Trimming and then can use either S3 or H4P or just S3 to center without changing the trim? In your last email, you state-use H4P for big trims and then after you release H4P, use S3 to center without changing the trim. Sorry for the confusion.

Don't worry about H4D. That's more for the Cougar, and I'm thinking of getting rid of it altogether. For the Warthog, just use H4P to trim and S3 to keep your stick from moving in-game while you re-center it. Don't worry about the other stuff; it will come in time.

And dinner was awesome, thanks for asking!

Best,

HF

Home Fries

For the center command the event tester shows RSHF + RCTL. No f12 appears and isn't the RSHF and RCTL commands reversed?

I got the pause command to work one time I think, but then it returned strange commands or nothing.

Also, the commands did not highlight in Tracker. This may be a problem that I have with Tracker and not your profile. Although I run tracker with DCS modules with no problem using F keys (even F15-17 with the help of Autohotkey), I seem to have a problem with control keys in your tracker profile. I am going to try to call tracker tomorrow to discuss with them.

Home Fries

For the center command the event tester shows RSHF + RCTL. No f12 appears and isn't the RSHF and RCTL commands reversed?

I got the pause command to work one time I think, but then it returned strange commands or nothing.

Also, the commands did not highlight in Tracker. This may be a problem that I have with Tracker and not your profile. Although I run tracker with DCS modules with no problem using F keys (even F15-17 with the help of Autohotkey), I seem to have a problem with control keys in your tracker profile. I am going to try to call tracker tomorrow to discuss with them.

My bad. I forgot that the F9 and F12 keys get intercepted by the TrackIR software before they get to the event tester. This is normal. Just have the TrackIR window open (but not active) and see that the image centers. You can also tell if the TrackIR is paused if the LED on top turns red. Also, the Pause box at the bottom of the TrackIR window will turn orange while TrackIR is paused, and the screen will stop moving.

Hope this helps.

Home Fries

No matter what I do, I cannot get the pause command to work. Will call tracker tomorrow.

As to the trim commands, this part of your readme confused me until I read your recent posts:

Last minute correction: The TARGET Center Position Trimmer Mode boxes on the Warthog control summaries (JPG and the User Reference) incorrectly state that you should hold down H4P or S3 in order to recenter the stick while keeping control neutral. This should indicate H4D instead of H4P.

As to the trim commands, this part of your readme confused me until I read your recent posts:

Last minute correction: The TARGET Center Position Trimmer Mode boxes on the Warthog control summaries (JPG and the User Reference) incorrectly state that you should hold down H4P or S3 in order to recenter the stick while keeping control neutral. This should indicate H4D instead of H4P.

The JPGs have already been fixed for the next build.

Home Fries

Well the other day I had my first Win10 crash and even the rescue disk would not help. So the computer had to go to the hospital and I just got it back.

In your Huey profile, I get the tracker center command ctl + Shf +f12 to work fine with a short S3+S4, but I continue to have an issue with the pause command. First, with small hands, holding down the S3+H1D is not easy, but can be done. However, only sometimes does this command show correctly on the event tester (I test without tracker working so I can see all the keys that are working). In addition, doing a double tap of S3+H1D seems to take a little more dexterity than I have. Also, this double tap does not display on the event tester. Nor does S3+LDGH short display on the event tester. When you have a chance, could you please double check this.

Life would be much simpler for me if the tracker pause command was a toggle button the left MFD. However, I am not able to figure out how to do this without screwing up the profile.

Helios and your profile continue to play well together.

Tracker problem solved. I really believe that the Devil invented computers. Today I called TrackerIR and while they were very nice, they could not duplicate my problem of not being able to generate multiple keystrokes for the hotkeys.

So I looked at my keyboard and said, no way that could be the problem. Well, it so happens that my keyboard was an old Microsoft Keyboard with the old style round pin connector. I have a cheap Best Buy USB keyboard that I use for my portable, so I said what the hell, lets just change keyboards. NOW EVERYTHING WORKS. I don't know if it was a keyboard defect or the fact that it was not a new USB keyboard or what, but now I am good to go, so back to the Huey profile.

Edited by sobe
typo

For some reason the Hotas Cougar RX axis, ANT ELEV, is not being using in the Thrustmaster Combined profile, in the TARGET Device Analyzer it shows up as working on the left(Default stick, Rx axis) but when I move it, it does nothing on the right of the window(Rx again). All the other axis from the Cougar work fine though so this is leaving me slightly confused. I have installed the CCP panel and made sure that all the tickboxes are set and assigned correctly.

But, I am positive I am missing something. Any hints? I've done the setup from scratch twice now In Accordance With the manual.

Tested both with the UH-1H and the FC3 profile, SU-25T aircraft.

Edited by TheSnark
added aircraft used

I'll take a look at this, but just to be sure: do you have the RudderPedals = 2? This sets the ANT ELEV to Rudders (RZ) instead of view zoom.

The other thing might be that you have your TrackIR Z axis set for zoom instead of camera forward/back.

I'll test it on my rig just to be sure, though.

I'll take a look at this, but just to be sure: do you have the RudderPedals = 2? This sets the ANT ELEV to Rudders (RZ) instead of view zoom.

The other thing might be that you have your TrackIR Z axis set for zoom instead of camera forward/back.

I'll test it on my rig just to be sure, though.

RudderPedals = 0 and revANTRudder = 0 as well. I double checked, the TIR is set to move along the Z and not zoom. It's also assigned to a different axis.

Thanks for checking!