DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

Home Fries

DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs  

19 members have voted

1. 1. DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

• Keep DH/DT with Hdg Hold and BA/RA with Alt Hold (keep apples with apples)
    • Map BA/RA with Hdg Hold and DH/DTwith Alt Hold (like actual panel switches)

I just made a major breakthrough last night, and the act of selecting aircraft is now simplified.

When you go to change aircraft, you will press and hold S3+LOSB1 for 2 seconds. Then based on the position of your dogfight switch (Cougar) or Boat Switch (Warthog), you will select either helicopters, jets, or props. You can cycle through the planes by using the upper left and right rocker switches (GAIN and SYM) to cycle red and blue aircraft respectively.

Here's the new feature: when you select an aircraft, you will now hear it from Microsoft Anna! No more do you have to remember what LED combinations mean (though they are still available); Anna will tell you what aircraft you have selected!

Additionally, if you want to assign your own aircraft presets, you can use all 40 OSBs on the MFDs, which allows up to 40 separate aircraft that you can get to with one button press. The new system allows for 3000 separate aircraft (1000 helos, 1000 jets, 1000 props), so it's safe to say that the profile is also future proofed.

I think you will all like this latest change. It will be included in 1.60, which is currently in testing.

Edited by Home Fries

Version 1.60 is released!

You need to have the latest version of TARGET (v3.0.16.520). With the new aircraft selection, be sure to read the User Reference (starting page 61) as well as the Setup Guide regarding DCS_UserSettings.tmm.

I'm looking for feedback on this; I think you'll like it, but I'm open to suggestions.

Finally, if anybody has the new TFRP Rudder Pedals, they are excluded from the profile by design (you get more axes as a result). There is only one reason to add the TFRPs to the profile, and that is for people who use rudder trim with the TCPTM (at the expense of totally independent toe brakes). However, if there is enough interest I will add the option.

Edited by Home Fries

Home Fries

I decided to go back to my old CH pedals instead of my new TM pedals. However, I am keeping the TM pedals just in reserve. After looking at the new Target Manual, I too realized that you don't get any additional axes with the pedals so they are really not useful if you use your 7 axes on the HOTAS.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

In polishing the Gazelle profile, I would like to make the number keys (both numeric keypad and top of the keyboard) as direct entry keys for the NADIR and the UHF radio. The idea is that simply pressing the number key (or holding S3 while pressing the number key) will directly press the button on either the NADIR or UHF, just like how the A-10C UFC and the Ka-50 PVI-800 works now.

Here's the problem: 1 and 2 default to swtiching seats. I already have the seat swap mapped to the hat switch, but I don't like to change default mappings if I don't have to, especially for something like this.

So here are the options I can think of:

• Use number keys for NADIR and S3+number keys for UHF and just use hat for seat swap
  • Use number keys for NADIR and S3+number keys for UHF and remap seat swap to other keys
  • leave default 1-2 for seat swap and make S3+number keys NADIR and S3+numeric keypad UHF radio

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Finally, I'm having a tough time figuring out how best to map the non-numeric NADIR keys. I've tried something with the numeric keypad and the LMFD, but it just doesn't seem intuitive. I'm open to suggestions here as well.

I have already created a poll on this thread, so any responses will have to be to this post itself. I look forward to any suggestions.

EDIT: Here's the NADIR layout right now; any advice is welcome.

SA342%20NADIR%20Keypad.jpg

Edited by Home Fries
added picture

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the new work in 160. awesome. quick question/comment, but the new customizable 'Aircraft List' at line:632, could sure use a single example line for syntax. its not clear what i need to put there to set my 'faves' for hotswapping profiles. could you provide, please, a sample line here?

EDIT: omg the voice thing is so cool! got the hang of it pretty quickly actually. i guess i dont really need a custom favs selection lol

Edited by marcocom

Thanks for the new work in 160. awesome. quick question/comment, but the new customizable 'Aircraft List' at line:632, could sure use a single example line for syntax. its not clear what i need to put there to set my 'faves' for hotswapping profiles. could you provide, please, a sample line here?

EDIT: omg the voice thing is so cool! got the hang of it pretty quickly actually. i guess i dont really need a custom favs selection lol

Glad you like the voice! I was pretty stoked to get that in place.

The stuff at line 632 is legacy stuff that I forgot to remove. The customizable aircraft list is in the DCS_UserSettings.tmm file. For that I created a new file so you could apply your own settings without having to replace them every time there's a new version of the script (as with having to replace your settings in the dcs world.tmc file).

I'm hoping that the instructions in DCS_UserSettings.tmm are clear enough (or at least is clear enough after reading Appendix D of the Setup Guide), but if it isn't please let me know. I'm so close to the script that I may no longer know if my instructions that seem obvious are in fact confusing, and this is the kind of feedback I really value.

EDIT: please post any recommendations ASAP; I would like to get the next version out shortly after 1.5.4 is released, as there are new things for the SA342L and the M-2000C.

Edited by Home Fries

As you all may know, I have added support for UniversRadio (UR) to my profile. The support is very similar to the Aries Radio support that already existed in script versions prior to 1.50.

If you were ever interested in using a radio program like UR, the Virtual Armed Forces are providing training on how to properly set it up and use it. I highly recommend this, as I regularly fly with those guys and have used UR with them.

Likewise, if you do use any of the radio plug-ins and find incompatibilities with my script, please let me know.

oh good, m2000c changes! i thought maybe it was my USAF-specific experience that made me unable to use the TMS/TDS - and so just naturally blamed the french and moved on... :P I really need the profiles help on this aircraft i think

Really think the abstraction of user-settings to external file DCS_UserSettings is the way forward. no doubt.

thanks for the link! for years now, ive seen your comms implimentation and always been wondering how to kick that in. im from the BMS Falcon world, with its complex comms, and actually am confused alot by comms in DCS. im going to try using this UR with the profile , as a dumb user, and see how it helps. ill report!

Im getting a compiler error with V1.60. Any idea why this is occurring?

Compiler_zpsktcowgjx.jpg

Edited by Shack

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

working without MFD ?

Hello,

Is this working without the MFD ?

I have tried it but I get the error: Runtime Error: Symbol not found: T16000L in main ( line 717 in DCS World.tmc )

I believe it is linked to the MFD but just wanted to check

Im getting a compiler error with V1.60. Any idea why this is occurring?

The problem indicates line 10 of the DCS_UserSettings.tmm. Did you make any modifications to this file? That's ok; it's what the file is for, but you need to make sure that the proper structure is followed.

EDIT: Line 10 pertains to the TIR_Center assignment. Could you post your line 10 and any lines you modified? Also, check Appendix D of the Setup Guide to make sure you used the correct nomenclature.

You can also extract DCS_UserSettings.tmm from the 7z file to reset any errors.

Hello,

Is this working without the MFD ?

I have tried it but I get the error: Runtime Error: Symbol not found: T16000L in main ( line 717 in DCS World.tmc )

I believe it is linked to the MFD but just wanted to check

The error you get is because you're likely still using TARGET 1.0, and that particular symbol is present in TARGET 3.0.16 (it's for a left-handed T16000 stick). That said, I highly recommend the use of MFDs with the profile, as they are often used for logical states as well as for selecting different aircraft.

Edited by Home Fries

Version 1.62 is released for use with DCS World 1.5.4. 1.62 adds the L variant of the SA342 Gazelle, as well as new features with the M-2000C.

Also expanded in 1.62 is the dynamic backlighting. This is strictly cosmetic, but adds immersion. For example, switching on electrical power in FC3 aircraft using the APU switch on the Warthog Throttle will cycle the MFD and Throttle backlighting from off/minimal to on, as will applying battery power in the M-2000C by using RBRT. Most of the backlighting options are disabled by default, but I encourage you to enable them and try them out.

Also, just to reiterate, I'm still hoping to receive suggestions on how you would like the NADIR mapped on both the keyboard and MFD for the Gazelle. Please don't be shy.

Hi HF,

I did not modify the file whatsoever; I'm also using Target 3.016.520.

line%2010_zpsuk57apnc.jpg

I will be using my Oculus when it arrives and so I wont be continuing to use TIR.

Also, Ive had a recurring issue with my TQS as it only recognizes engine 2 with no control over engine 1. Im using TQS plugged into my Cougar stick and using Saitek pedals.

Cougar_zpsqhtewed7.jpg

Here is my file structure. Please let me know your thoughts on getting me flying ! Oculus inbound and I cant wait.

Thanks HF !

structure_zpsatoadlqy.jpg

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Shack,

Thanks for the reply. The comment about the latest version of TARGET was actually directed at cobragva; I just piggy backed two quotes in the same post.

I see nothing wrong with the files you have posted, although the location leaves something to be desired. I don't know if co-locating the file/folders with your TARGET install is causing issues, but I recommend putting the profile anywhere other than c:\program files (or program files (x86)). I actually created a folder called D:\TM\TARGET that i just use for profiles. It keeps it separate from your system files, and also keeps it out of a "protected folder". See if moving it fixes things.

EDIT: if that doesn't work, extract the original dcs_usersettings from the 7z file and replace the one you've been using. Even if you didn't change it, this eliminates variables in testing.

Edited by Home Fries

Wilco !

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HF,

Just got home from overseas. I will be working on your suggestions over the course of the next few days and report back.

However, I did receive and connected my oculus. WOW ! I was blown away! I felt like I was in the real jet. I guess switch activation will have to wait for the oculus touch? Unbelievable stuff !

Thanks HF !

Shack

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi there Home Fries,

your profiles got me back to sims after 3 years.... Just had not the brain power to fight with the controls but you made a remarkable job with these.. this is really unbelievable.

I own a HOTAS Cougar, the Thrustmaster rudder (metal) and a TrackIR.

So I got some questions regarding the FC3 Profile (jpg layout):

- HAT 3 (DMS):

When flying the SU-27, something confused me. HAT 3 (DMS) has no left or right according to the JPG layout? Wasn't able to activate my NAV lights in NAV mode on the ground too.. maybe I missed here something.

The next is that I doesn't seem to find the Radar Range Buttons. Don't know where to lower and increase the range.

- Hat 4 (CMS):

I remember when flying Falcon BMS 4.32, i had the upper for either chaff and flare and the down one for the last of them. I don't quite understand why both ways (up and down) are set for flares. I don't understand the logic as to why the layout states to press the shift for both chaff and flare.

- How do I change to A2G in the SU-27?

- What does the O mean? For example /(D(for down)O?

- I Chose the SU-27 as the Default Profile to load up. Where do I Switch the profiles in order to hear the voice that I have switched an aircraft? Do I have to be in the menues or.. how to accomplish it exactly?

Damn... the last 3 years really set me back.. please Support my unflexible brain! These questions arise because I was extremly used to the BMS 4.32 Profile back then... which I still remember.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by TheCabal

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

HF,

I moved the files as you said to a dedicated folder structure and that appears to have done the trick. File compiled. I connected my Warthog HOTAS and I'm now able to control both engines. My joystick (Separate) issue keeps having a "bootloader" error when I plug in the USB connector. I've read it may be a USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 issue, either way, I'll troubleshoot and advise.

Thanks again !

PS: Found this article that could help the bootload failure issue :

[ame=http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00140.pdf]http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00140.pdf[/ame]

Edited by Shack

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi there Home Fries,

your profiles got me back to sims after 3 years.... Just had not the brain power to fight with the controls but you made a remarkable job with these.. this is really unbelievable.

I own a HOTAS Cougar, the Thrustmaster rudder (metal) and a TrackIR.

Glad I could help. Welcome back. BTW, the RCS pedals are awesome; I only wish that the new TFRPs were based on a similar construction.

So I got some questions regarding the FC3 Profile (jpg layout):

The FC3 layout is the most shoehorned layout because it has so many functions that can only be activated with keyboard or DirectX commands. For reference, here's the latest Cougar FC3 layout:

DCS%20FC3%20HOTAS.jpg

We can use this to reference things. The big takeaway is that the dogfight switch determines the rest of the switch functions based on commonality. Dogfight Up (T7) is Close Air Combat mode for fighters and Air to Air mode for Attack, while Dogfight Down (T8 ) is BVR mode for fighters and Air to Ground mode for Attack. Dogfight Middle (DFM) is for nav mode on all birds. Therefore, you will find functions based on radar scanning mostly when the dogfight switch is down.

- HAT 3 (DMS):

When flying the SU-27, something confused me. HAT 3 (DMS) has no left or right according to the JPG layout? Wasn't able to activate my NAV lights in NAV mode on the ground too.. maybe I missed here something.

It does have a left right, but there are so many functions that they are all listed in the center, with arrows indicating that the same function is either increased or decreased. You can also see light grey lines above and below tthat separate the left/right functions from the H3U and H3D functions. To cycle nav lights, you need to have DFM and then hold H3L or H3R for .5 seconds, as nav lights are TEMPO'd. TEMPO Long commands are listed in italics on the layout.

The next is that I doesn't seem to find the Radar Range Buttons. Don't know where to lower and increase the range.

This is a function mostly associated with BVR mode, so have T8 engaged and then cycle H3U/H3D to adjust zoom. This is only necessary for the Russian fighters; you can move the cursor to the limits in the F-15C to cycle the display range.

Speaking of which, do you have the Cougar MFDs? If not, I very highly recommend them. This script is designed to be used with the MFDs, which is how I was able to do even less shoehorning than what was present in my first FC3 profile (for Foxy). Additionally, MFDs are the only way to change profiles on the fly.

- Hat 4 (CMS):

I remember when flying Falcon BMS 4.32, i had the upper for either chaff and flare and the down one for the last of them. I don't quite understand why both ways (up and down) are set for flares. I don't understand the logic as to why the layout states to press the shift for both chaff and flare.

FC3 defaults to "Countermeasures", popping 1 chaff and 1 flare for each button press. I put the same thing on both so you don't have to think about it when missiles are flying. If you want to use chaff or flare exclusively, hold down S3 while using H4U or H4D.

- How do I change to A2G in the SU-27?

A2G is normally T8, which is BVR in fighters. But the theme still applies. Just hold H2U Long to force A2G mode.

- What does the O mean? For example /(D(for down)O?

/O is Out, the opposite of /I for in, or shifted. If /I means that S3 is pressed for a function, then /O indicates that S3 is not pressed. This is just old Foxy terminology that I forgot to put on the legend. I'll correct the notation when I create individual profiles for the FC3 aircraft.

- I Chose the SU-27 as the Default Profile to load up. Where do I Switch the profiles in order to hear the voice that I have switched an aircraft? Do I have to be in the menues or.. how to accomplish it exactly?

As I indicated before, you need MFDs. You also need to set the path to your profile in DCS World.tmc so that the script knows where the soundfiles are located. This is covered in the Setup Guide (page 8 ).

Damn... the last 3 years really set me back.. please Support my unflexible brain! These questions arise because I was extremly used to the BMS 4.32 Profile back then... which I still remember.

Thanks in advance!

No problem at all. Glad to help.

-HF

Edited by Home Fries

HF,

I moved the files as you said to a dedicated folder structure and that appears to have done the trick. File compiled. I connected my Warthog HOTAS and I'm now able to control both engines. My joystick (Separate) issue keeps having a "bootloader" error when I plug in the USB connector. I've read it may be a USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 issue, either way, I'll troubleshoot and advise.

Thanks again !

PS: Found this article that could help the bootload failure issue :

<link removed>

Thanks, Shack. I haven't had to reboot firmware since going to TARGET, but this is good to know.

Oh god Lord!!! Thanks for your answer Home Fries!! :thumbup: I'm reporting that I'm in full control of the SU-27, using it efficiently now. Got my first successes. The Situational Awareness is getting better too.

What seems to happen sometimes is, that while trimming and or holding the S3 (shift) the zoom-factor get's messed. It's like you are writing on the Laptop and something else happens because you touched the touchpad unnoticed.

Is it my Cougar or am I using unnoticed a zoom-function?

Well, I was already thinking about getting the MFD's... too bad they don't work like real. I heard about apps for the iPad in which you can use the shkval or other parts of the instruments. Need to check this.

Again, thanks for the effort in answering all my questions... thank you!

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

Oh god Lord!!! Thanks for your answer Home Fries!! :thumbup: I'm reporting that I'm in full control of the SU-27, using it efficiently now. Got my first successes. The Situational Awareness is getting better too.

Glad to hear it.

What seems to happen sometimes is, that while trimming and or holding the S3 (shift) the zoom-factor get's messed. It's like you are writing on the Laptop and something else happens because you touched the touchpad unnoticed.

Is it my Cougar or am I using unnoticed a zoom-function?

When tapped quickly, S3 resets the zoom to default (in fighters and the A-10A). This is just a way to quickly get the view back to default, but you can always adjust the ANT ELEV knob to get your old POV Zoom back.

Well, I was already thinking about getting the MFD's... too bad they don't work like real. I heard about apps for the iPad in which you can use the shkval or other parts of the instruments. Need to check this.

There's an easy fix for that. Add another (cheap) monitor and put the MFDs on it. Then set your instrument export to the MFDs (I use 408x408 pixels for a 17" monitor in 1280x1024). BTW, I use the Scotch double-stick wall-poster sticky squares (with foam in the middle) to stick the MFDs to the monitor. It's sticky enough to hold, but it isn't permanent and won't damage your screen.

Again, thanks for the effort in answering all my questions... thank you!

No problem.

Working great, thanks

Hi Homefries,

Just got my mfds and your profile is just fantastic. Works very well for the A-10C.

I just have a question. I cannot hear the voice when changing profiles (A-10c to Huey for example)

Then (bug ?) when I switched into the UH-1 profile, the pitch and roll axis where not "allocated" in the sim options and the heli was always flying right

Where should I look to solve it ?

best,

Cobra

Edited by cobragva