Triple Monitors or 75" 4k TV ???

These pics were taken from behind my sim seat. Typically, my eyes are 24" from screen. When in game, all I see is DCS. I estimate the instrument panel is 80% scale with the FOV I prefer.

I think Chic has found an excellent solution now that I see what it looks like. The VR thing just won't work for me after spending several thousand dollars and three years building a 95% working replica of the actual A10C cockpit. I will however invest in VR for the Huey as one real cockpit in the house is enough.

The Icarus project was also a good possibility. But after careful review, it had issues I didn’t want to deal with such as the cost of replacement lamps for three projectors every 2000 hours. Each lamp is around $450.00. I can fly over 2000 hours without trying to hard.

In the end I can buy a 65inch TV for roughly the same amount as three projectors but the TV will last much longer than 2000 hours and when you have your face 30” from the screen the emersion is almost the same as Icarus.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

If you already have a cockpit, then you might consider getting a skylight dome, slicing it in half, painting it with projection paint, and then projecting from 4k projector onto it (there is some software that stretches out the image to the right size).

A good projector should last you up to 10,000hrs per bulb.

Edited by NineGzuz

i used to run 2 projectors but unless u have alot of room and money its not so practical. for me living in western australia i could barely fly in the hotter months as the projectors would overheat and the room would be so warm i couldnt think straight. with the cost of globes as well as adding in the screen and having to black out the room from external light it is quite expensive.

im currently running VR as i dont have a cockpit for dcs world but i hope soon to replicate this kind of setup.

Imo vr is the way to go in took down and will be selling my 3 24”Acer lcds since i prefer my oculus setup

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

@Chic: Really love the idea of a close giant screen although this might not be good for your eyes (VR is not probably good either).

I am more traditional in my approach. I do have a rift but it is not as comfortable as a multi monitor configuration, and the low definition keeps bothering me in a rift. I am using the Samsung CHG90 for the main view, a 49 inches 32:9 ratio curved monitor, and 3 touchscreens for the intruments.

Newcockpitsmall.jpg

• Like 1

Nice!

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Chic

What kind of latency and response times are you getting with the 65" curved screen. I am leaning toward the exact same screen as you are using.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Chic

What kind of latency and response times are you getting with the 65" curved screen. I am leaning toward the exact same screen as you are using.

Not sure what you're askin, but I perceive no response lag.

Need at least 60 hz on the display, but I'm guessing that's pretty standard on these sets now.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Not sure if it was salesman BS, but I’ve heard the current LG OLED 4K screens have higher refresh and lower latency than most LED screens. Anyone know more or have any success?

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT