JSOW-B - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #11
Bunny Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfr View Post
Didn't that get canned as well?
Yup, WCMD-ER got canceled in 2006, shortly after failing a separation test. The USAF seems to think that the standard WCMD is sufficient for the missions it expects to fly, and it would appear that SFW submunitions are challenging to deliver by glide bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotaan
That's only because the mob came after ED with torches and pitchforks. ED had initially had it on the weapons list, but removed it just before pre-orders when live. ED also removed triple rack Mavs since they were not used on the version of the F-16 that we have.
Ahhh, DCS drama. It just seems silly to me, since Mavs on tripple racks were a thing that was done and can easily be done again, while JSOW-B never went beyond low-rate production. But whatever, it's a game and we're all here to have fun right?
Bunny Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
bfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotaan View Post
That's only because the mob came after ED with torches and pitchforks. ED had initially had it on the weapons list, but removed it just before pre-orders when live. ED also removed triple rack Mavs since they were not used on the version of the F-16 that we have.

Rather that continue to face the storm, ED added both back in.
Wow, didn't realise they'd backed down on the triple rack Mavs. Hopefully they code into the damage model a suitably high probability of the third round's motor burning your flaperons off?
bfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #13
raelias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfr View Post
Wow, didn't realise they'd backed down on the triple rack Mavs. Hopefully they code into the damage model a suitably high probability of the third round's motor burning your flaperons off?
That would be a nice way to give in to the pressure BUT make it pretty much unusable in a realistic way haha

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II
raelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #14
launchedsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny Clark View Post
Ahhh, DCS drama. It just seems silly to me, since Mavs on tripple racks were a thing that was done and can easily be done again, while JSOW-B never went beyond low-rate production. But whatever, it's a game and we're all here to have fun right?
The Air Force doesn't carry three Mavs on the triple rack though, because the rocket motor plug in the mav can hit and cause critical damage to the stabilator.
launchedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #15
Bunny Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchedsquid View Post
The Air Force doesn't carry three Mavs on the triple rack though, because the rocket motor plug in the mav can hit and cause critical damage to the stabilator.
Isn't that something that was done at one point and then changed? Or am I getting confused between the F-16 and A-10?
Bunny Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #16
Kid18120

Quote:
Isn't that something that was done at one point and then changed? Or am I getting confused between the F-16 and A-10?
In the A10 AFAIK the triple-MAV rack isn't used because the inner MAV would potentially cause damage to the landing gear. I also read that the TGP should be set to standby mode while launching the outer MAV on the same wing to avoid damaging the optics

Simming since 2005
My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming, Corsair HX850
Kid18120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #17
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchedsquid View Post
That's for the F-16. The A-10 can still carry 2 Mavs on a triple rack. The inner third Mav's exhaust would potentially singe the landing gear and that why it's not used, or so I've read.
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700k, RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, 960 Pro 512 GB, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Acer Predator XB271HK|Hornet grip on T-50 base, Warthog side-stick, Warthog throttle, TPR pedals, 3 MFDs, MT desk mounts, TrackIR, VAICOM Pro|
F/A-18C, F-16C, JF-17, AV-8B, A-10C, M-2000C, F-14, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #18
isotaan

Quote:

You're correct. 80's-era F-16s did fly with triple Mavs, but the LAU-88 (triple ejector rack) was discontinued for operational F-16 flights for reasons stated in this thread.

The drama llamas who complained said that the LAU-88 could have been used in wartime if the USAF needed it. Which I suppose is true, but that theory is true for a lot of things that could have been done but never were. The llamas don't want to acknowledge that our F-16 module isn't supposed to model the entire historical weapons loadout over a 30+ year lifespan. Unlike ED's Hornet, the Viper is supposed to be a snapshot of a mid-2000's F-16CJ.
isotaan is offline   Reply With Quote