Performance decrease

I might repeat myself...

...but i think ED should really have a look at their promised performance optimizations.

I remember flying low and fast with my hornet with stable 60(2D)/45(VR) fps when the hornet came out a while ago

Unfortunately performance has gotten worse and worse with every update since then.

Can't agree more! :thumbup:

Performance improvements should be the highest priority instead of adding more planes!

+1

I started very shortly before Deferred Shading became a must and since then, the joy gets worse on regular basis :(

On day 1 I was very happy with how well DCS performed in VR in the visual/performance-ratio. Now I have to constantly adjust graphics to keep up the performance.

Things should get better, not worse and at least I have the feeling that ED still doesn't prioritize VR players, but 2D players which I find backwards-oriented.

Sorry 2D pilots, but VR should be priority. If VR performs well, 2D fps are still lightyears ahead...

Currently, if there would be a better performing VR sim that is not arcady, I would at least welcome it with open arms... simply out of frustration that my overall experience gets worse instead of better.

While others happily clap their hands when the Hornet gets "latent track while scan" and new ordnance with complex guiding manuals... I would prefer no new additions for months until the performances increases significantly.

Given the number of third-parties team pumping planes into the game, I'd personally prefer to see ED focus on performance, and adding other stuff like dynamic weather and dynamic campaign.

+1

Sorry for all the rage and I am surely not alone. I am just so frustrated because DCS has been super enjoyable for me and now I am spending more time twerking settings and files than actually flying.

There was a time I double clicked the DCS icon, started a mission and had flawless fun for hours....

Edited by TheSauvaaage

+1

I started very shortly before Deferred Shading became a must and since then, the joy gets worse on regular basis :(

On day 1 I was very happy with how well DCS performed in VR in the visual/performance-ratio. Now I have to constantly adjust graphics to keep up the performance.

Things should get better, not worse and at least I have the feeling that ED still doesn't prioritize VR players, but 2D players which I find backwards-oriented.

Sorry 2D pilots, but VR should be priority. If VR performs well, 2D fps are still lightyears ahead...

Currently, if there would be a better performing VR sim that is not arcady, I would at least welcome it with open arms... simply out of frustration that my overall experience gets worse instead of better.

While others happily clap their hands when the Hornet gets "latent track while scan" and new ordnance with complicated guiding manuals... I would prefer no new additions for months until the performances increases significantly.

+1

Sorry for all the rage and I am surely not alone. I am just so frustrated because DCS has been super enjoyable for me and now I am spending more time twerking settings and files.

There was a time I double clicked the DCS icon, started a mission and had flawless fun for hours....

+1000!

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

I believe VR player are a really small group considering all the 2D player but with that in mind on a 2080, a card that cost more than a month of salary, in a multiplayer server I am doing 30-40 fps (only on the ground of course) and 60-70 fps while flying in 1080p; how can people play 2-4K or even VR is still an incognito for me. This is one of the game that is making me buy a new 1080p monitor instead of switching to 1440p, with escape from tarkov.

What are those?

C:\Users\YourUsername\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\fxo

C:\Users\YourUsername\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\metashaders2

It is recommended to delete these folders after every update.;)

Edited by JumpinK

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

I also del them after each GPU driver change and after every Win10 Build upgrade. Just to be safe.

It payed out, I dont have most of the hiccups others have with equal or similar capable hardware.

It should be done by the updater and ED to be honest. As it is mandatory to do it to ship around errors it should done automatically by ED. maybe they read this and rethink it.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

only with F-14 do I get CTD on defender of fleet mission. With Mig-21 the performance actually improved. It has to do with tomcat or a loaded mission meaning one with many units.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 months later...

Any official words on this 60+% less fps issue many of us still having? Remember, this is not VR. And it's not acceptable as well.

It's too hot to be able to trap on the HMD and it's not a dry heat though, so I'm better of with my CPU running at 3.4GHz again if it's 15-20°C more than usual in the room. Flying with just 20-30fps on a screen even without AA and other fancy useless blur filters is not exactly what I'd call fun when I certainly know the engine can provide me 60+ fps on the same rig, because it did some months ago.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

It is recommended to delete these folders after every update.;)

So I've read the suggestion to delete the fxo and metashaders folder a lot. I've tried it a few times to get rid of some graphics anomalies and it didn't work. The only thing it appears to be good for is freeing up some disk space and getting rid of unused files. When DCS installs and updates it re-compiles shaders it needs to and updates the files, I've checked this by looking at the DTS on the files after an update. The other thing is that if ED really thought this was a necessary action after an update surely they would clean up the folders as part of the install....

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

I have had a massive fps drop after last update feels like I'm watching a slideshow at times. Before this update everything was super smooth.

Will give some of the suggestions here a try, hopefully something works for me.

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

... never mind

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 3 months later...

Frame rate went down again... I literally had 3 digit fps, never changed my settings and now I basically need to buy a new rig to get fluid rendering - even after ocing my CPU by a whopping third. Still hoping for the actual VR performance improvements as well.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Frame rate went down again... I literally had 3 digit fps, never changed my settings and now I basically need to buy a new rig to get fluid rendering - even after ocing my CPU by a whopping third. Still hoping for the actual VR performance improvements as well.

+1 (after updating to 2.5.5.38756)

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Did you delete the fxo and metashader2 files?

Didn’t notice any dip on my side, playing in multiplayer, 15-20 people in. Busy environment. I delete them each time before booting DCS, been doing so for quite some time. If anything, I’ve noticed steady (not leaps) of improvement really..

Seems to work well for me. Can hold solid 30-45 FPS in multiplayer... Try it if you haven’t, might assist.

Some others aren’t aware of this tool/trick (many more than just this poster, so not an isolated by any means for the boost) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4094892&postcount=366

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

"each time before booting DCS" ? or only after an update ? If there is a benefit from deleting metashaders after an update it surely could and should be automated by the updater ?

Can the same folders inside dcs installation be left or better also to delete ?

Edited by CobaltUK

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

"each time before booting DCS" ? or only after an update ? If there is a benefit from deleting metashaders after an update it surely could and should be automated by the updater ?

Can the same folders inside dcs installation be left or better also to delete ?

I delete them before each time of booting DCS. Not just after updates. Files seem to build up in there, possibly duplications (I don’t exactly know why), but ranges from 80 files and up for FXO. Metashaders2 can be as little as 1-4, sometimes increasing to more than 50. These folders will be located within the “saved game” directory, rather than the main install location. (Typically ..savedgames/**username**/dcsopenbeta...

Again, I would never pretend to know exactly why this makes a difference - but I do know that it makes a difference in performance in the game, by deleting the folders contents prior to starting DCS. Has removed any and all micro stutters, FPS drops and performance issues for me. Don’t get me wrong - there is the occasional hit when initially loading into the server - but that is literally it for me. Hope it helps you too.

EDIT: I use VR.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie
VR addition

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

... I delete them each time before booting DCS, been doing so for quite some time. If anything, I’ve noticed steady (not leaps) of improvement really...

Are shader files different to the ones from the last session, when there were no updates, no new graphics driver or graphics hardware?

What about your loading times? Don't you get really long ones after deleting the shader files?

Are shader files different to the ones from the last session, when there were no updates, no new graphics driver or graphics hardware?

What about your loading times? Don't you get really long ones after deleting the shader files?

I’ve never bothered to compare them, so again I wouldn’t want to speculate on that personally. Loading times are fine, not any longer than normal. Comparing a loading time delta from initial startup of DCS (after file deletion), to rejoining a server after a server restart, seem nearly identical. I suppose those times could be impacted depending on what kind of drive you have (SSD or not).

As advertised, I’d encourage everyone to do this little tip/trick. The 10 seconds it takes is far worth the stability/performance improvement to me. I am not sure why ED hasn’t put some kind of code/script in to auto cleanup these folders yet, as it’s been a known quantity for more than a year.

Cheers,

Don