802 AKG help

Harlikwin

So...

I've figure out "sort-of" how to use these, with defining the waypoints and such per mode. I'm "Hawk" hunting with these.

Things I don't seem to get, in COO mode, it seems to turn on much farther away than MIL mode. And I can still fly it. Which is good, because it gives more time to figure out one's bearings. I'm not clear how the "lock" is supposed to work. MIL seems to turn on way too close to the target so unless your WP is 100% accurate, there doesn't seem to be much point because you have very minimal time to correct.

Any pro-tips on how to do it better?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think you mean MAN mode, which according to the manual only gives you 2km of seeker on time. COO and DIR gives you 20 km.

To go to automatic contrast lock, push OSB U3 to switch from MAN mode to ATA I believe it’s called. Don’t remember if you have to press OSB L3, seemed to work fine in ATA mode for me unless L3 is for break lock, need to test more

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

My experimentation with the waypoint programming is that if you intend to do any final guidance yourself, you don't really want to place the final RP too close to the target regardless. Place it a couple of nm back, and position it such that when the missile turns in from the penultimate RP, it is heading in a desirable direction.

Also, of course, until that bug gets fixed, do the terminal guidance manually rather than just taking temporary control and using the lock-on function to make the missile handle the last stretch.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I have had no luck with the auto guidance hitting anything.

My main application here are online target areas where I kind of know where the target is but not precisely. I.e. Sam site protected target like an airfield. I know the Sam cluster is near the airfield but exactly where.

Also any idea on max range from 15k ft launch. I’ve been doing about 30-40nm and that seems to work but it’s close to the launch range for the hawk.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

You can go way more than that. AKG has more range and larger warhead from smaller electronics compared to AK. 230km range is about 124 nautical miles. I intend to compare the labeled portions of the two types soon and post the different sizes of each section.

Sorry the ATA mode accessed at OSB U3 doesn’t work for you, works for me in the instant action MITL locking on to the IL-76.

Here’s a video of the abilities of the automatic lock, I think this was posted by Sputnik 1 on Buddy Spike discord https://streamable.com/63ugr. Looks like they were in MAN mode, need to do more testing. Still have a lot to learn. It does have a contrast lock in that video however

Who knows the launch condition of the listed range, but I think it’s safe to say that even in the weeds you’ll have no problem reaching a hawk site or any other SAM in DCS

The A model listed below I believe is older and less capable then the AK we have in game

3789EC2F-6C0B-4FFE-A530-35DDC1BA311B.jpeg.ecab1eb6a62342acc4b0ca8a76b60075.jpeg

0442F54D-D790-45E4-A5B3-A66621543284.thumb.jpeg.abc58427c8c0d06f2cc72f24d8ec59fc.jpeg

13D82E50-56EB-491D-A7EF-0CE3B7D9A070.thumb.jpeg.f32dc8bf9f820685daeb9d00dd0b9d54.jpeg

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I have had no luck with the auto guidance hitting anything.

Not sure I understood what you mean, but the akg doesn't have a fire and forget mode, unless you create a flight plan where you somehow manage to force it's path onto/near some enemy unit.

- in man mode it will fly through rp points (you can change the currently targeted rp during flight) and power on it's seeker about 2km before the last waypoint

- in dir mode it'll fly directly towards the spi

- in coo mode it'll fly towards the selected PP point

- in DIR and COO mode the seeker will power on around 20km before the designated point

- the range from the game manual is "more than 150km when surface skimming"

- there's plenty of controlled flight time, when i don't know where my target is i set the last waypoint for the missile around 7nm from the target, that gives me enough time to fiddle with the image settings during flight and I was able to easily locate/hit: a static truck, the same truck but on a patrol route, a static t90 and then the t90 on a patrol route. I also tried with troop concentrations (for science!) - anything above 4-5 troops close together is easy-ish to locate from that range (disclaimer: that was all in the desert and in a valley in caucasus, not inside forests etc :P)

edit: the range of the missile will depend on the flight profile you select. I also primarily use the akg in similar scenarios e.g. some s300 radar that's surrounded by layered defences, i rarely get a missile through unless it's surface skimming, otherwise some point defence system will get it. So far I've been able to get the stated range (skimming, using all waypoints, tight-ish turns, trying to sneak a missile in using ridges for cover etc)

Edited by witness_me

I see, part of my problem was that I didn't realize I still had to guide/lock the missile in the DIR and COO modes.

The other half of it is the airfield I'm hitting is surrounded by "Stuff" so it makes finding targets difficult, but that's mainly down to practice.

Hmmm….but how do a make a WMD pod selected and locked target SPI?

If I launch the 802AKG, it immediately makes a turn left or right.

Lock the target, confirm that the blue-ish diamond is where you want it to be, select the correct mode and fire.

But then again, launching it within 20NM is not really the most ideal case to be honest.