What do you think of TWS so far?

falcon_120

Hello guys,

I've been practicing the viper these days with many MP session, specially after the addition of TWS cause I wanted to see how it worked and how to proper use it. However I must say that I havent managed to be really proficient with it at the moment. What is your experience guys? Any tips you might want to share?

For me the biggest problem so far is:

-Detection time, if i'm searching in TWS even when i see a target thanks to datalink and I narrow the azimuth radar to 25 degrees sometimes I get the feeling contacts are not being detected or they take a lot, changing quickly to RWS solves the problem. This is specially true when inside 20mn in a 1 vs 1 in MP.

What do you guys do in those cases? Is it RWS prefered for a quick detection and launch scenario? Are you using RWS-SAM? Or is it just a case of early weeks of TWS with things to be polished?

I killed an F18 with an SD10 online the other day. Can’t recall if I was in TWS tho. :)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

LOL... oops.

To be fair, I didn’t kill any f18s when I spawned in a viper after that. But it was like 5:1...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I've been having good results when I use TWS in the correct situations.

It's good for sorting groups ~25nm or farther away, when you have time to let the radar sweep over them several times, and to appropriately promote the desired tank targets to system targets and manage all that stuff.

If I need to find something quickly, or my target is getting closer (below 25 or so miles), then RWS+SAM is the way.

it seems pointless to me i haven't gotten 1 tws kill of 2 or more targets w/ it yet.

can just use the f15 shoot 4 tws 120's at 4 different targets all day.

the gate for the radar just seems so narrow its impossible to do.

tws is great for 1on1 shoot at 20nm turn away and never spike the rwr. i could be mistaken, but i believe the best for 1on1 is SAM mode as it will pass more data to the missile.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

There doesn't seem to be any target discrimination taking place when launching in TWS (or in any mode), so if you launch at two or more tightly spaced targets the missiles might choose to go for just one of them. That kind of defies the purpose of using TWS in the first place. More often than not, I end up using RWS and STT.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

There doesn't seem to be any target discrimination taking place when launching in TWS (or in any mode), so if you launch at two or more tightly spaced targets the missiles might choose to go for just one of them. That kind of defies the purpose of using TWS in the first place. More often than not, I end up using RWS and STT.

Not a bug

I think it's more realistic in the Viper than the Eagle. TWS isn't a magic bullet and one needs to understand its limitations and use cases. As someone else said, you should use it if you have enough time for the radar to build target info and for you to do target sorting. RWS detects faster, because it displays raw hits and STT obviously provides much faster target data update rate.

Don't compare it to the TWS on the F-15C, that one works a little too well compared to IRL, from what I've read and its implementation obviously lacks the depth of the Viper's one.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I think it's more realistic in the Viper than the Eagle. TWS isn't a magic bullet and one needs to understand its limitations and use cases. As someone else said, you should use it if you have enough time for the radar to build target info and for you to do target sorting. RWS detects faster, because it displays raw hits and STT obviously provides much faster target data update rate.

Don't compare it to the TWS on the F-15C, that one works a little too well compared to IRL, from what I've read and its implementation obviously lacks the depth of the Viper's one.

Yeah, totally agree, I mean the TWS in the F15C totally works as if its was an AESA radar, you could turn 180 and if you have 15 targets ahead you will detect them almost inmediatly, and its somehow normal when you understand the background of FC3 and which was the detail level at those times.

Now my question is more like, I undertand how TWS is representend and implemented in the viper and I like this level of realism, but up to which point is too slow now or better said, how do you guys manages things like azimith and bars so that you are able to "disguise" those limitations and use it in combat. Or is it really a case of if you are in a pinch within 20mn just go RWS-SAM.

Btw have the bug where shots done on RWS-SAM (not STT) give launch warning inmediately been solved?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

I was able to engage 4 mig 21s, and got hits on all 4. By the time I launched on the 4th mig, I was nearly merged with the first one. I think this might be because of the target spread and the somewhat short legs of the 120c.

I've had more luck with TWS on Jeff, but admittedly it's just because I practiced more in that aircraft.

As a side note, I find it interesting that people had smoke coming out of their ears because TWS on the Viper wasn't available on release, but now that it's out, you barely hear anyone talking about it. It's great to have another tool in the toolbox, but it's not like you're going to dominate the skies with it.

Edited by Scofflaw

run come save me

As long as I have the contacts from DL I use 2 bars vertical as this is what slows it down most. Constantly adjusting ant. Elevation is not a problem. I also use mostly rws and sam mode unless 1 vs many case where I need to press on more than 1 target. I think SAM mode giving lock tone was fixed but can't confirm that for sure.

The biggest issue with radar I have currently is dogfight modes, those can't lock shit...

EDIT: to keep in on topic, I agree it is a bit of a hassle to sort out targets and you need more time, at least 50-60 miles distance probably.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

can just use the f15 shoot 4 tws 120's at 4 different targets all day.

You simply just can't compare a sim to a game... icon_redface.gif

I've had more luck with TWS on Jeff, but admittedly it's just because I practiced more in that aircraft.

Therein lies the main advantage of the Jeff which is that its displays are legible while the Viper's are not. That at least ensures you don't pick the wrong contacts by chance rainbowdashwink.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg