Rookie Rocker need help

Rocker50

Hi there,

I am somewhat of a SIM enthusiast. I cut my teeth on Apache and Falcon 4.0 years ago, so I have continued to check out flight SIMs over the years. Alas, the old Thrustmaster FLCS/TQS has worn out and support for the product faded quickly after Thrustmaster sold out to that silly French company.The parts are as distant a memory as the original game Descent (one of my all-time favorites), so now I use a basic Saitek X 45, which is a fair stick for the price.

As an IL-2 player I have found many hours of fun playing with my older brother (I am 50) and my 79 year young Dad, who is a WWII kind of fellow. I am also an excellent mission designer! Anyway, I recently purchased Black Shark and am trying to figure out the variables and hash out what bugs seem to have appeared, before I purchase the game for my old Dad and teach him the basics, so I need some input from those of you with experience! I guess I should preface my notes with the fact that, unfortunately, I now have Vista 32 home premium with service pack 1 running more than sufficient minimum computer specs.

Let me start with my two main issues/

1. Can I access my controls in game in ether multi-player or single player? I have not found this to be an option, strange as it seems to me. For that matter, can I see a config while in game, so I might check my control assignments while trying to fly? If not, what were the programmers thinking? I can fly blind in F10 mode, but cannot check on my flight profile? I read somewhere where I could actually create a text doc using a .bat program that included my stick assignments, but when I ran it it did not produce said doc in the folder or elsewhere on my computer? Perhaps this is a Vista issue? Yikes.... help!

related issues-

...had to create two separate profiles, one for game and the other for sim? Why is it that when I created the profile in 'game' tab it did not populate the config for the 'SIM' mode, rather, I had to go back to start and redo the who darn config? Is this the case or did I miss something? I most certainly lost a bit of continuity in that , since I could not access both at the same time- or even get any kind of print out to view while doing he other- it was difficult to remember what button did this or that. Am I forced to load that Saitek profile software, then trouble shoot the conflicts with Vista?

...Additionally, once I created and saved a profile under my alias, Rocker, I could not load any default profile? If I want to start from scratch how do I load a default config? Must I delete my file, so the program then generates a default config? On a side note, my brother sent me his config, but it did not take I assume because he is running XP and I am on the crappy Vista?

... in my 'real' profile I must have screwed something up because my collective, both stick (throttle collective set to slider 1) and keyboard (default keys), did not give me sufficient power to take off! That is, I could go full power in throttle and collective, only to scoot around a few feet off the ground? With patience and a prayer my chopper did eventually gain altitude, but it took a long time... almost as if I were running on one engine or something... I did use the rtwindow/home auto start procedure . What am I doing wrong? Mind you, it works fine while playing in 'game' mode. Additionally, when I went out to my controls and deleted an axis for throttle, then went and launched multiplayer, well, the axis I deleted or cleared did not take... remained set and active! I also checked to see if I had inadvertently set an auto level button or something, but everything seems set correctly... grrrr

2. Is there anyway to set up the 'game' interface mode in multiplayer, as opposed to what seems to be the default 'sim' mode? I ask in that although I am currently learning the real SIM assignments, I doubt my old Dad will ever enjoy the level of detail required to, say, take off and lock onto a target? Can I launch the multiplayer so that the basic "game" HUD can be used for coop play? If not, what were the programmers thinking? Yikes. My brother and I were attempting our first multiplayer experience and found it ludicrous that we could not set server parameters to our liking, not to mention gain access to our config files to make alterations? Am I missing something I hope?

I hope I don't sound too negative because I think this SIM is worth the fifty US, but I felt let down by the issues above, hope it is just my learning curve as opposed to omissions by the creative programmers.... I do appreciate any help you kind gamers might provide.

Rocker

Hi Rocker,

I cant answer all of your questions, because I am about to dash out, just wanted to say, stick with it...everything you want to do above is possible , other than referencing the controls ingame.

Check in the game install directory for a sub-directory called "Doc" , in there you will find 2 .pdf's (acrobat files) , "DCS-BS_Key_Commands_Ka-50_real_eng.pdf" and "DCS-BS_Key_Commands_Ka-50_game_eng.pdf" along with the other manuals.

You could refernce or print out the key guides for in flight refernce.

Unfortunately, in order to reference back to what you have set on your joystick / hotas will mean writing it down (thats what I did when first learning).

For your takeoff power issue, make sure you have not set the "throttle" axis! .. you must only have the "collective" axis set ... if you DO have the throttle axis set as well, then you must make sure that it is set in "automatic power" mode , by looking to the back lower left in cockpit at the 2 yellow handled levers, which are the throttle settings.

I would say, unbind the "throttle" axis, and just use the default keys of "page up" and "page down" to controll throttle.... you should only ever be touching the throttle during power up or power down whilst on the ground, the rest of the time it should be in "auto" power mode (Page up twice if starting engines manually).... the "emergency power" setting can also be used also in emergency's (ie an engine out), but that is a detail too far...

In that same directory is the "DCS-BS_GUI_Manual_eng.pdf" , which I believe will direct you as to how to set up a multiplayer game using "game" mode ... it is possible, and just needs to be set in the mission options....

On the server issues, I am fairly sure there's a thread somewhere on the forums (believe it was a sticky) where there's some files meant for servers that allow you to change a bunch of stuff. I am no server admin for this game tho so I have no clue on how much freedom they give and how easy they are to use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Nemisis... I did find the .pdf stuff and another thread from a kind person who created a keyboard layout... even did the process to get the .txt of my stick files, but that did not work. I do appreciate the help...will keep diging... please post if you can answer or point me to a few resolutions.

Thanks Ethereal.. will keep looking. I am no computer wizzz, wish I did not have to learn and troubleshoot, but such is the life of a gamer.

I am sorry if this doesn't come out right, but I mean well when I say you have complicated all this.

If you just install it and have your joystick plugged in (you say you have the Saitek X45 stick). Everything would be setup and you would not have to to do much else at all. Maybe set an axis in the controls... if that..

Saitek forum:

http://www.saitekforum.com/

There are lots of posts here in the Black Shark forum about what Saitek Software and Drivers to use.

I have Saitek X52 Pro with pedals, and use the Saitek profile I made. The Saitek SST Profiling software, lets you program the buttons on the stick.

If you print out the key commands and set that next to your computer, you can use that as a guide.

If you don't have a stick profile made, you can download one too, either here maybe, or on the Saitek website/forum for your joystick the X45. You wil need to set the Rocker switch as the rudder in the Saitek X45, I don't remember if the X45 had both rocker and twist for rudder. The X36 only had a rocker. No twist. I suggest you invest in pedals. Use the Throttle axis as the collective.

Again, you are complicating this, or at least when you asked it really sounds convoluted. Black Shark has smart intuitive joystick control setup. It's not auto,, but it's close to being automatic setup.

:joystick:

Black Shark has control settings for each game mode. It has a steep learning curve, in the full simulation mode.

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I appreciate you answering at least one question, Ram. I trust you are also runing Vista?,,,,NOT. Anyway, my experience with profiles and the X 45 have been, well, so so. What I read in your post the simple thing to do is go with a profile so as to avoid the complexity of not doing so... perhaps I will go that route. But what about the other aspects, like using 'game' mode to host in Vista , etc... any pointers to that efffect???

/the only thing automatic from what I see is... download someone elses profile and all is well? That, or the most simplistic solution... just use the keyboard!

Edited by Rocker50

I am having similar problems with my Saitek X45- upon investigation, i notice that in the Axis Tune tab I am NOT getting full movement on the range of motion of the Throttle. This is in line with me barely getting any power for take off when I pull up on the collective. I also do not have anything mapped to "throttle" it is all mapped in collective.

I appreciate you answering at least one question, Ram. I trust you are also runing Vista?,,,,NOT. Anyway, my experience with profiles and the X 45 have been, well, so so. What I read in your post the simple thing to do is go with a profile so as to avoid the complexity of not doing so... perhaps I will go that route. But what about the other aspects, like using 'game' mode to host in Vista , etc... any pointers to that efffect???

/the only thing automatic from what I see is... download someone elses profile and all is well? That, or the most simplistic solution... just use the keyboard!

WinXP here... and either use another profile or make your own Joystick profile..

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

Yeah, Banker... strange thing is the keys do not override the stick conflict and it seems deleting the assignment doesn t take for some reason...hmmmm, Also, when I installed BlackShark it all seemed fine till I closed down. Then, Vista would not recognize my stick,,, had to go get the Saitek drivers.

"In that same directory is the "DCS-BS_GUI_Manual_eng.pdf" , which I believe will direct you as to how to set up a multiplayer game using "game" mode ... it is possible, and just needs to be set in the mission options...."

Read that, but- other than in controls as " use XXX for all missions"- there are no settings as such for mission options?

Edited by Rocker50

Thanks Ram, could you please send me your profile? It seems I can use it to edit RE x 45 withthe latest software. The saitek site is pretty poor... probably better support here than there. I found a thread post of yours at a different BBS, but cannot find it at the saitek forum.... a pointer or an e-mail would be appreciated. I'll buy you a cyber-beer!

My silly e-mail acct is...

inaworldoftwits@gmail.com

In researching my conflict, come to find others have similar issues, perhaps a combo of an older stick, vista and a new upper end game.... IL-2 works great without any issues, but this game is state of the art!

Edited by Rocker50

um. ok, I have no idea how an X52 Pro Profile would help you are all with an X45

Download it at:

http://www.saitekforum.com/

in game profiles under X52 Pro

Thanks Ram, could you please send me your profile? It seems I can use it to edit RE x 45 withthe latest software. The saitek site is pretty poor... probably better support here than there. I found a thread post of yours at a different BBS, but cannot find it at the saitek forum.... a pointer or an e-mail would be appreciated. I'll buy you a cyber-beer!

My silly e-mail acct is...

inaworldoftwits@gmail.com

In researching my conflict, come to find others have similar issues, perhaps a combo of an older stick, vista and a new upper end game.... IL-2 works great without any issues, but this game is state of the art!

Edited by Ramstein

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

here is a thread where you can download it:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=36002

btw, I use winzip when I zip up files.

The support at Saitek has asked others why they have problems downloading files, after they are told they cannot download a file by a forum user. I too am awaiting the answer. I suspect the users are doing something wrong. Not trying to be mean, but I get frustrated with messages telling me they can't find the file or can't download it. I have no clue why. Maybe people use Win Vista and don't understand it, I don't know. In any case i hope the profile helps you.

:joystick:

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

Ram, your X52 Pro profile can be of use to folks using other Saitek controllers in that they can use the commands you have entered in to your SST profile. They change the controller type selected, and then assign the commands as they wish to their available buttons, hats, etc. It can save someone a lot of typing!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thanks Ram... yeah, Cy is in the know... I am pursuing a lead from this thread in my request...I am now a cyber detective on a quest to get the %#*@%)*(%* game to work. Why is life so difficult?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=39224&highlight=x45+profile

/three days from now yesterday will be old news

beer-mug-night-light2.jpeg

Edited by Rocker50

Well, I tried to convert the x52pro file to the x45 format by changing the indicator at the top of the Saitek 6.0.10.7 editor software and it did not take- it did not propagate the command fields like I had hoped. It did get me the assignment command list, though, which his a good thing. grrrr.

Cy, is there any importing or tool I need to use Ram's profile key commands with my x 45?

Edited by Rocker50

Rocker50, if I understand you correctly, you were able to get the commands from his X52 profile, but they did not drop into assignments to various buttons, etc. That is what I would expect to happen. You'll need to go to each button, hat, etc. in your profile and assign the desired commands... but at least you won't have to type in the keyboard key combos needed to accomplish those functions. You will just select from the list of commands that are available (the assignment list).

I'm unaware of any importing tools.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Copy that Cy! Ram saved me hours of work. It seems that as I am lazy I hoped it could do all but fly the chopper for me. :)

/off to create profile and research other questions stated above... rookie rocker still needs help with the other aspects... please read and comment.