F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

iF ANY OF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A LASER CUTTER OR CNC AND WANT VECTOR DRAWINGS OF THE PANELS AND SUCH, i HAVE QUITE A NUMBER DONE USING INKSCAPE OR lASER DRAW SOFTWARE. OOPS, sorry for the CAP locks, just finished working on the Armament panel and a few others for the rear pit. Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with that suits their needs. I have a few trials in Sketchup, but I just do not feel like paying for it and am not sure what can be done with those free version files yet.

Salute,

I'm finally getting back to starting in on this again. Got some plywood to try and cut this weekend, and may try laser cutting some panels next week.

Any chance to set your files up on DropBox, or is it easy to email them?

theotherdino@gmail.com

Sorry I lost touch - been pretty busy with the kids since I was working on some of this stuff, so you are far beyond me in getting the vector files done.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Not what I meant. I'm talking ON-OFF-ON that locks in the ON positions but can be released with a control input pulse.

I think you already got your answer on the $700 dollar switch, short of completely reverse engineering it with its own controller logic to release a magnet or something to allow it to spring back.

If I ever get around to building some F14 replica panels I think I'll stick to momentary toggles as mentioned. Momentary up will engage the autopilot, the momentary down will disengage it, as would the paddle on the stick. Same with the AFCS switches, Auto throttle, etc.

It would be nice if we could get some generic "plans" or stencils exported from Heatblur's cockpit model, at least to get the rough shapes of the panels 1:1 sized, and go from there.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

What gives me headchaes is the switches that spring back into center, like AP engage, stab aug. Where does one get switches like that that? Mouser custom makes them, magnetically reset, but at 790€ a piece my line is well drawn.

The only way around those prices I know of is if you come across used panels from various aircraft that use those type of switches in them. I was lucky to come across one that had 6 and a rotary for 40 or 50 dollars a few years back. I was mad about it back then as I was looking for regular switches at the time, but they were a nice find in hindsight. Now I just need to find the box they are hiding in :/

Salute,

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The plans I put up are as 1:1 as you can get. As far as switches, one thing to keep in mind is the switch logic used in DCS. AFCS switches for instance have 'on else off' or something similar. So when I put the switch into the on position (up), then the switch is on. If I move it to off, it turns the switch off. The only magnetic switch I can think of off hand is the engine start. A mom/off/mom switch works perfectly. You select the engine and it switches correctly then the game will move the switch back to off. Beats $700.

All this is assuming VR.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

• 2 weeks later...

The actual Tomcat used solenoid switches.

I've just used 2 and 3 position switches. If they're in the wrong place just flick them back and forth til its ok.

F14B

AV8B N/A

F-15C

A-10A

Black Shark 2.0

NTTR, PG

X55 Rhino

FreeTrackNOIR, .

i7 6700k, 16GB, GeForce GTX 970

"A helicopter is a collection of rotating parts going round and round and reciprocating parts going up and down - all of them trying to become random in motion."

If anyone wants measurements I can get you some off my panel. :)

20190906_144841.thumb.jpg.cc2bd671600a658d5f9b104aeabbc787.jpg

20190906_144846.thumb.jpg.54818913bc427614a039ec1e1bf5414e.jpg

• Like 2

F14B

AV8B N/A

F-15C

A-10A

Black Shark 2.0

NTTR, PG

X55 Rhino

FreeTrackNOIR, .

"A helicopter is a collection of rotating parts going round and round and reciprocating parts going up and down - all of them trying to become random in motion."

F-14B Templates and Measurement

I did some printable 2D templates for the F-14B Cockpit with rough Measurements:

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=218440&d=1570183037

It´s not complete and maesurements are not precise, but should be good enough to work with.

3D Model is also added as SketchUp

Edited by vJaBoG32_Siddharta

• 4 weeks later...

Winter time is almost here, so I'll finally have some time to get back to this project.

I got some Saab 9-5 seats for the core of the build (which means I'm going to be forced to make a set of interchangeable cockpit pieces for the Viggen after this is done). I'm going to start cutting plywood for the center column with the VDI/HSI screens. Once that is done and they are mounted, then I plan on building the ACM panel.

I've started doing some work in SketchUp, which I plan to transfer over the SolidWorks once I learn how to use it.

I've got two version of the panel, one built to my estimates of actual dimensions (8.25" x 3") and one built for use of a 7" touch screen behind the face ("8.25 x 4").

I looked up multi-led push button switches, and I think I found some very similar to those used, but they probably cost an arm and a leg, considering the only way to get a price is to request a quote.

With some shifting of the cutouts, I think I can fit a touchscreen LCD behind the front face, and if the ACM panel has an export view, I could make all the push buttons work off the touchscreen (I think?).

Anybody have any other solutions?

what do you need for the hud mode switches?

I have never seen a switch that rotates as well as pushes, maybe they are Tomcat unique ?

It might be possible to design one to be printed, but it will be quite a difficult job

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

I have never seen a switch that rotates as well as pushes, maybe they are Tomcat unique ?

It might be possible to design one to be printed, but it will be quite a difficult job

I think it was a Grumman design, I have looked for replacements using the part number and came up blank. I lucked across some from A-6 parts.

Salute,

Punk

1014173936_f-14005.thumb.jpg.7bc5a2c9f555465874f587c9e670c3ce.jpg

1640145998_f-14006.thumb.jpg.6b7a4fc5198de956cc047e21c6f1418c.jpg

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have an idea how to build the resettable switches you find in the F-14, say AP engage, Stabilizer Channels and so on... anyone know where I can upload a persistent image?

I believe they are electro-mechanical in real life, servo/relay driven switches. I just use 2 position or 3 position toggle switches and it works fine. Heatblur have been nice enough to give us "X On Else X Off" style bindings for a lot of switches, so if you have a 2 pos switch it will as an on/off rather than just on (looking at you ED & RAZBAM!).

Mind you I'm not going for full simpit perfect realism, rather functionality. If i turn off/reset the A/P I just manually reset them.

F14B

AV8B N/A

F-15C

A-10A

Black Shark 2.0

NTTR, PG

X55 Rhino

FreeTrackNOIR, .

I think it was a Grumman design, I have looked for replacements using the part number and came up blank. I lucked across some from A-6 parts.

Salute,

Punk

In my mind I was thinking you'd need something like how a cassette tape deck works, only allowing you to have one button pressed at a time (yes I know they also allow more than one but you get the idea). The rotation you just do like those A6 ones you have there, cylindrical button body, a slot that wraps around like a "screw" that would probably interface with a pin or some kind of guide, and then copy how cassette tape players push other buttons up when you press another.

Something like that should be printable right? Cassette players should be cheap enough to find at goodwill or other old electronics stores.

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 1 month later...
I took the .obj of the entire cockpit earlier and separated the grip from the rest of the model I've tried cleaning it up in Sketchup but leaving it for now. Could be a good base to work from.

Any chance to get some correctly scaled stuff like the landing gear and hook levers?

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Printed a draft of the stick as is and it's a chungus, that's for sure.

Uploaded the stl to thingiverse for now. next step is to quad it and convert it all to tsplines for proper fusion 360 work

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4076915

Any chance to get some correctly scaled stuff like the landing gear and hook levers?

I don't believe the heatblur obj actually has the levers in the model, just the panels.

Edited by TomVR