F-14 stick project

sagil

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing work! Are you fitting it with all the MIL spec switches of the real thing - it looks worthy of it :)

Do you have any plans to share the model or sell via shapeways?

It reminds me that either VKB or Virpil were rumored to be working on an F-14 grip, I'm fairly sure I first heard of it reading these forums, but for the life of me I can't find any references to it now? Am i just misremembering?

• 5 weeks later...

Any chance of some editable (internal) files being available instead of just stl? Being able to position the actual buttons would be great. Hacking pieces of plastic into a not-ideal case wasn't fun when i modified my current stick to add buttons here and there, but it sort of had to be without any starting point.

I have actually been working on making a warthog like stick myself (though haven't found any useful measurements so just going by eye) and was planning on making this one after that (this being so different) for fun.

I plan to use 10mm 5-way switches for all the hat buttons even if the original isn't a push down version just because more buttons never hurt (and it will still look right).

I like the idea of you printing 2 halves of the stick plus the pieces so you can just "snap" them together like a plug. Of course the wiring would be on your behalf but nontheless a good project for those who are impatient for the VKB version. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello sagil,

Is it possible to get the actual dimensions of the stick in order to see if my buddy can print it ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

I've printed it myself, if your buddy has a print bed 20x20cm or larger, he should have no problems. Just make sure he learns how to use the pause at height script when printing the left hand side of the grip; he'll also need 5 or 6 M3 nuts (you have to insert them mid print in several places at several heights).

...he'll also need 5 or 6 M3 nuts (you have to insert them mid print in several places at several heights).

Oh, yeah... I paused printing twice per night )

F14_001.thumb.jpg.b38a6966595cd35059b4fd21bfb3de6e.jpg

F14_002.thumb.jpg.307550d3d3d47d5c9891da7c9af8b9ff.jpg

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

Sweet, I wouldn't mind trying this on my 3D printer as well. is there a BOM of the electrical components needed?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I forgot the nut at the very top on the first pause. Had to cut a slot from the inside to get the nut in.

In such cases I prefer to form a deep hole for the nut, and fix it in place with glued-in sleeve.

PS This is advice to the model creator.

attachment.php?attachmentid=198862&d=1543415947

attachment.php?attachmentid=198863&d=1543415947

... is there a BOM of the electrical components needed?

Model archive contains 3D-models of electronic components, but not BOM with specifications.

And this is second advice to the model creator.

1386503437_Nutholder.jpg.583f330ecc9cfab4737413481beeef98.jpg

1787717796_Nutholderprinted.thumb.jpg.03fed20a603374d20e74b99d25527cc1.jpg

Edited by ReviZorro

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

• 1 month later...

Hello Sagil,

Started printing the small parts, result is pretty good ATM.

I contact you thru CGT site but I don't know you receive any notice so trying my luck here.

Would you mind sharing links for switches / pot / rotary tou used ? It would be easier for us (well, at list, me) to get the proper parts.

Thank you.

Mathieu

Edited by Killin' Duck

Hello sagil,

Thanks for sharing the links :)

Printed the grip this week-end, had some fun placing M3 nuts while printing because my printer doesn't support pause during print ^^'

Now I need to order all the components and create the adapter for my base.

More to come !

• 2 weeks later...

Nice print, any recommendations for the print settings. Did a print with yesterday but missed to rotate the grip and the supports ruined the grips surface details.

Printed 0.2 with 100% infill which might be overkill. Thought about 0.1 but it needs to be sanded and filled anyway I think.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice print, any recommendations for the print settings. Did a print with yesterday but missed to rotate the grip and the supports ruined the grips surface details.

Printed 0.2 with 100% infill which might be overkill. Thought about 0.1 but it needs to be sanded and filled anyway I think.

Is it 2 mm off on each site or were is the problem?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]