Mi-8 - a few things during startup would lead to interrupt startup

Maverick24

Hello all,

I would like to ask if anybody has problems I have during startup:

- ignition time - push zapusk button and there is 4-5 seconds hang till revolutions start rising

- "Autostart Acitve" indicator - according to flight manual it should be off till 30 seconds. In my case it´s about 40

- engine temeprature during startup - it reaches almost 850°. According to flight manual it should be 780° (in last Mi-17 I saw (my father) it was 650 - 700)

- engine accelerations - according to flight manual it should be 3-6 seconds. In simulator is this value almost 10 seconds, with noticed hang at half of way to top and from there is 5-7 % difference between engines till reaching the top.

- reaching idle after startup - it should be 60 seconds according to flight manual. In simulator is 70 - 80 seconds.

Except ignition and acceleration is everything reason for interrupt startup. I wasnt fly Mi-8 for about 4 months, now I let DSC update what it wants and suddenly theese problems appear. I never met theese problems before.

Tested at Sochi = almost sea level, outside temperature 16°, Summer season, "engine conditions" is 90%.

Could someone confirm my "research" ?:)

Thank you

Jiri

Here's my go. Tested in Kobuleti (28m ASL) in default weather (20 deg. C). I turned on the power and the systems, let the APU spool up, waited 1 minute, as told by the manual, and started the engines.

I measured the time with the stop watch in my cell phone from the moment I started pressing the START button.

- Revolutions dial started going up after 5 seconds.

- AUTO IGNITION ON went out together with STARTER ON at 60% RPM - 50 seconds

- Temps peaked at ~680 degrees

- Idle after 55 seconds

Only the AUTO IGNITION ON light behavior was inconsistent with the manual.

I´ve done some another testing with my father next to me (test pilot Mi-8 and Mi-24), with the real checklist and real flight manual. I apologize for little miscounting.

Only thing I can confirm right now is very slow increasing RPM of main rotor till around 40%. Because is too slowly, "Auto ignition ON" goes off very very late, real pilots would interupt startup long time before.

This should not take a long time with testing at Belsimtek itself to see my point, so I hope they will fix this, or write some explanation.

Thank you

Jiri

• 2 weeks later...