Waypoint edition

Zeus67

Here's a short video showing how to add/modify a waypoint or waypoint offset. The same procedure works for editing markpoints.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Really excited for this update. Its going to make the Harrier much more capable in its primary role.

What's the maximum number of waypoints the Harrier can store in the computer?

60 Waypoints

10 Markpoints

5 Targetpoints (not yet enabled).

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

60 Waypoints

10 Markpoints

5 Targetpoints (not yet enabled).

Cool, thanks for the response.

The other thing, how will we eventually enter UTM coordinates in the Harrier? The Hornet has some strange system where you have to slew over a grid to select the UTM prefix for the area you're in?

Is it a similar setup in the Harrier nav system? I couldn't remember it being mentioned in the NATOPS manual.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks for the response.

The other thing, how will we eventually enter UTM coordinates in the Harrier? The Hornet has some strange system where you have to slew over a grid to select the UTM prefix for the area you're in?

Is it a similar setup in the Harrier nav system? I couldn't remember it being mentioned in the NATOPS manual.

UTM coordinates are not enabled yet, but they will.

As for your question:

Easy way: You input the 10 digit grid coordinates (5 for Eastings and 5 for Northings).

Hard way: When the location is not in the current grid but in an adjacent one, then you have to input 11 digits. First digit tells to which UTM segment the coordinates belong.

The INS always create a grid of UTM segments around the aircraft. You do not need to know the UTM prefix, you only need to select the segment by entering its number. For reference use the UFC keypad. 5 is the current UTM segment where the aircraft is located. The numbers around the 5 are the adjacent UTM segments (1,2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9). Each UTM segment is a 100 x 100 km square grid.

Sniped by Zeus, lol

Haven't read up on the Hornet but the Harrier sounds similar (Page 636, NATOPS Flight Manual AV-8B, 23 April 2007, AV-8B-000.pdf)

You first create a new waypoint using Lat/Long in the relevant UTM area/grid.

Switching to UTM will display the existing UTM data for the new waypoint.

Editing the waypoint; 6, 8 or 10 digit UTM entries assume the same 100 km grid square (ie 37-T GG = Batumi)

If the waypoint needs to lay outside the 100 km grid (ie GG) you prefix an extra digit based on the UFC keypad.

UFC keypad '5' = GG, '2xxxxxx' the grid square above (GH), '8xxxxxx' the grid square below (GF)

ie you enter 7, 9 or 11 digits

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

UTM coordinates are not enabled yet, but they will.

As for your question:

Easy way: You input the 10 digit grid coordinates (5 for Eastings and 5 for Northings).

Hard way: When the location is not in the current grid but in an adjacent one, then you have to input 11 digits. First digit tells to which UTM segment the coordinates belong.

The INS always create a grid of UTM segments around the aircraft. You do not need to know the UTM prefix, you only need to select the segment by entering its number. For reference use the UFC keypad. 5 is the current UTM segment where the aircraft is located. The numbers around the 5 are the adjacent UTM segments (1,2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9). Each UTM segment is a 100 x 100 km square grid.

Thanks for the info. That actually sounds pretty intuitive to be honest. Just need to keep track of which grids are where in relation to you.

New function of the moving map is great but the response to the commands is somewhat inconsistent. When I move the control stick left the waypoint moves left on the map (and vice versa). But when I move the stick up, the waypoint moves on the map down, so behavior in horizontal and vertical direction is different.

And another note. The NOSE UP map mode is preferred for this new function. Even if I switch the map to the NORTH UP mode, the relative direction of movement of the waypoint / the map stays the same. Maybe it would be better to prefer the NORTH UP mode to edit waypoint position.

New function of the moving map is great but the response to the commands is somewhat inconsistent. When I move the control stick left the waypoint moves left on the map (and vice versa). But when I move the stick up, the waypoint moves on the map down, so behavior in horizontal and vertical direction is different.

But it is consistent with how you use the stick to control your plane. When you move the stick down, the nose goes up. When you move it up, the nose goes down.. not entirely sure how it behaves in the real aircraft, but it makes sense to me.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

When creating a new waypoint I get stuck. After entering the Northing. The moving map display goes black. As seen in the video. However, and I have tried many times, I never seem to be able to enter the Easting. I type them in and they do not transfer to the waypoint.

I end up stuck with a black map. A Northing entered but and Easting of 00000000.

It is as though the UFC is over ridden by the moving map slew.

Any ideas guys....Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

When creating a new waypoint I get stuck. After entering the Northing. The moving map display goes black. As seen in the video. However, and I have tried many times, I never seem to be able to enter the Easting. I type them in and they do not transfer to the waypoint.

I end up stuck with a black map. A Northing entered but and Easting of 00000000.

It is as though the UFC is over ridden by the moving map slew.

Any ideas guys....Thanks

I've found that after pressing 'POS' I can enter the Northing, but I then need to press 'POS' again to enter the Easting - if I try to go straight to adding the Easting then nothing gets typed. Is that what you're doing?

I've found that after pressing 'POS' I can enter the Northing, but I then need to press 'POS' again to enter the Easting - if I try to go straight to adding the Easting then nothing gets typed. Is that what you're doing?

I'm sometimes finding that even after pressing POS again for the Easting it doesn't register, and I need to press POS a further time in order to proceed.

So another question: are markpoints in the module yet, and if so how can I create them?

Yes but not with full functionality I don't think - you can create a markpoint by pressing 'MK 0' on the EHSD and it will make a markpoint at your current position and altitude.

What you can't do is target a point on the ground with the DMT/TPOD and then make a markpoint at that spot (it still takes your current position).

• 1 month later...
I believe you can only make a few, maybe 5? then they cycle over
Right. But it's 10 I believe

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift