Latest flap changes - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #31
Erikki

Ironmike! My congratulations for the Heatblur F-14!
It’s like the real aircraft! simulating the unique flying qualities off the F-14 and beyond!

The F-14 is built as strong as a train! Grumman Iron works!
So you could do thinks with them beyond what you could do with other aircraft, or in newer aircraft it is blocked by fly-by-wire computers.
In the 80’s the F-14A was often configured beyond Natops manuals by well-trained and experience F-14 Crews , to compensate for the TF-30 shortcomings.
Thinks like over-G (8-8,5G was not uncommon during training) , deploying the glove vanes, deploying flaps at much higher speeds and G load, shutdown the AWG-9 radar and therefore to shut down the cooling to it, which could give you more thrust for the TF-30’s(less bleed demand).
This in combination with the correct rudder and stick input makes it a formidable BFM fighter, but also a very tricky fighter at the edge of the envelope, it could backfire quickly!

From my understanding, AUX flap circuited breaker was pulled to keep the AUX flaps UP when selecting Full flaps. The AUX flap had no advantage in BFM and only causes extra drag and where more vulnerable to break(G load), but the main flaps could handle the optimum 200-350kts speed regime! When the circuited breaker was pull the wing sweep was disabled!

Regards Erikki
Erikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #32
IronMike
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikki View Post
Ironmike! My congratulations for the Heatblur F-14!
It’s like the real aircraft! simulating the unique flying qualities off the F-14 and beyond!

The F-14 is built as strong as a train! Grumman Iron works!
So you could do thinks with them beyond what you could do with other aircraft, or in newer aircraft it is blocked by fly-by-wire computers.
In the 80’s the F-14A was often configured beyond Natops manuals by well-trained and experience F-14 Crews , to compensate for the TF-30 shortcomings.
Thinks like over-G (8-8,5G was not uncommon during training) , deploying the glove vanes, deploying flaps at much higher speeds and G load, shutdown the AWG-9 radar and therefore to shut down the cooling to it, which could give you more thrust for the TF-30’s(less bleed demand).
This in combination with the correct rudder and stick input makes it a formidable BFM fighter, but also a very tricky fighter at the edge of the envelope, it could backfire quickly!

From my understanding, AUX flap circuited breaker was pulled to keep the AUX flaps UP when selecting Full flaps. The AUX flap had no advantage in BFM and only causes extra drag and where more vulnerable to break(G load), but the main flaps could handle the optimum 200-350kts speed regime! When the circuited breaker was pull the wing sweep was disabled!

Regards Erikki

Indeed, these kind of intricacies are what makes the aircraft so interesting and such a gem for simmers, as even flying is a very rewarding "work". We will see which of the circuit breakers we model, but as always, we will try to get it right as possible.

Btw a lot of what you mention is already reflected in the model, you can easily fight at 8 to 9 G and overstress it, fly it close to the envelope, but at the same time, you also have to consider possible trade offs.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #33
Kula66

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
We also need to be a bit clear about what we are talking here: Flaps already give you the 3°/sec boost as they should in BFM. But what is not realistic is that you deploy them at 400 kts or 300 kts or 275 kts even without receiving any drag penalty, damaging them, etc etc.. At a certain point "that would not be done in real life" because it would have a far greater negative effect than positive for your BFM. That is what we are talking about and that is what is being tweaked at the moment. No one is taking away your ability to use flaps during BFM within a realistic envelope. Go beyond it, you can still use them, but you will have to deal with the consequences.
IM, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it and look forward to flying the results ... the 14 just gets better and better
Old 05-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #34
IronMike
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kula66 View Post
IM, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it and look forward to flying the results ... the 14 just gets better and better

My pleasure bud, always happy if I can help. Thank you for your kind words!

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #35
Erikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
Indeed, these kind of intricacies are what makes the aircraft so interesting and such a gem for simmers, as even flying is a very rewarding "work". We will see which of the circuit breakers we model, but as always, we will try to get it right as possible.

Btw a lot of what you mention is already reflected in the model, you can easily fight at 8 to 9 G and overstress it, fly it close to the envelope, but at the same time, you also have to consider possible trade offs.
I Know, that is why i like the Heatblur F-14 Soooo much!!

Erikki
Erikki is offline   Reply With Quote