FPS on Supercarrier - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #61
Pikey
Veteran

What robgraham said. There's a fair bit of subjectivity going back in this thread about what is acceptable. Missions and multiplayer is where most of the loss occurs, and many of the reasons are Core DCS issues like bugs that crop up from time to time (DataLink drops your FPS into the canyons on the Viper in MP)
Tuning is a painful long process between what is acceptable and what is not, and often the end result will be delightful in the quickstart missions, reasonable in most of the user content/campaigns and tank in heavy PvE servers with lots of units.
I just upgraded from 1070 to a 2080s and I was kindda sad it wasn't everything I had hoped for from that price. What it can do in DCS is strongly glass ceilinged by DCS World limitaitons. However, I did find I could stream much better, had smoother experience and could touch up some settings here and there. Humbly I'd say that the 1070 and 1080 are a bit borderline for VR use now on heavy servers, but perfectly good for light missions, and the content people want really decides what they can get away with from their rig, not the hardware, which will generally work on the light and basic content as is written on the minimum specs page. Generally for VR mid range you work between 22 and 45 FPS and try to hit the 45FPS in game for smooth VR. 22 is the subjective red line. The same hardware can hit 90FPS inisde VR for basic missions at higher altitudude. That is a massive massive difference of performance in the same game with the same hardware and is essentially what data I am using to support the statement that there is a lot of nonsense being spouted out there about what frames should be gotten.
It's also supporting of my echo on what I said about the carrier eye candy. It wont be tanning FPS like people think it will, your main loss of FPS is unit count in the mission, especially radars and ground moving targets are a nope.
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #62
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
What robgraham said. There's a fair bit of subjectivity going back in this thread about what is acceptable. Missions and multiplayer is where most of the loss occurs, and many of the reasons are Core DCS issues like bugs that crop up from time to time (DataLink drops your FPS into the canyons on the Viper in MP)
Tuning is a painful long process between what is acceptable and what is not, and often the end result will be delightful in the quickstart missions, reasonable in most of the user content/campaigns and tank in heavy PvE servers with lots of units.
I just upgraded from 1070 to a 2080s and I was kindda sad it wasn't everything I had hoped for from that price. What it can do in DCS is strongly glass ceilinged by DCS World limitaitons. However, I did find I could stream much better, had smoother experience and could touch up some settings here and there. Humbly I'd say that the 1070 and 1080 are a bit borderline for VR use now on heavy servers, but perfectly good for light missions, and the content people want really decides what they can get away with from their rig, not the hardware, which will generally work on the light and basic content as is written on the minimum specs page. Generally for VR mid range you work between 22 and 45 FPS and try to hit the 45FPS in game for smooth VR. 22 is the subjective red line. The same hardware can hit 90FPS inisde VR for basic missions at higher altitudude. That is a massive massive difference of performance in the same game with the same hardware and is essentially what data I am using to support the statement that there is a lot of nonsense being spouted out there about what frames should be gotten.
It's also supporting of my echo on what I said about the carrier eye candy. It wont be tanning FPS like people think it will, your main loss of FPS is unit count in the mission, especially radars and ground moving targets are a nope.
Contemplating a similar gpu upgrade myself , i would be very interested to hear what graphics improvements you WERE able to make .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:15 AM   #63
bad_turbulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFBGB View Post
2080TI is meant for VR, and driving 1440P.

True,, because it definitely can't drive 4K. 4K monitors were meant for the future of nVidia cards
bad_turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #64
Balu010

I tested every setting on my machine 6600k OC @4,5GHZ 64GB RAM 1070

I used the F-18 supercarrier cold start mission just sitting on deck.
Conclusion is there is only 2 setting that really effect my performance in this scenario.
Shadows and AA.

Shadows are a HUGE hit on the deck.

Every setting on max - SSLR OFF and - SSAA OFF , Shadow falta = 65 fps shadow low = 43 fps

Shadow falt and MSAA and SSAA OFF I get 83 fps !!!

My with my goto settings Shadow low MSAA x2 SSAA 1,5 I have 42 fps on deck, 60 fps + everywhere else.
Every other setting only give +/- 1-2 fps
Balu010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #65
FlyNeX

My fps on clean deck with few MP aircrafts goes from 20-40 with some big stutters and drop difference. My fps before SC update was 80-100fps and all was smooth. In both cases my settings are all on maximum except SSAA and depth of field.

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming // Intel i7 9700k 4.9GHz // ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super
Kingston Fury HyperX 32GB 3466MHz RAM // Kingston SSD M2 500GB NVMe // Cooler Master Watt 750w
Track IR 5 PRO // Saitek Cyborg Evo

Liveries YouTube Twitch Donate
FlyNeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #66
Tepnox

True. The Shadow Option alone from Flat-Only to Low/Med/High difference is about 30-40% load on my GPU (RTX2070Super). So if you have no buffer (maxed out GPU load), your FPS will drop in that margin of 30-40%.

Pretty hefty and needs adressing for sue.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #67
Derby2P

Hi. I was a little hesitant to get the Supercarrier module as my PC isn't the most powerful machine - but I considered the new Kuznetsov worth £28 as I really like flying the SU-33 and thought worst case I'd use the Supercarrier when/if I upgrade my PC.

I've balanced my settings so that my FPS usually stays above 40. I wasn't shocked to see the frame rate drop to mid-high teens when running the Supercarrier Launch qualification mission in the FA-18C menu - so unplayable for me, but what I half expected. I did a few experiments - and nothing seemed to make any difference to the frame rate, even getting rid of every object bar the carrier and my aircraft resulted in similar FPS which I thought a bit odd considering how many planes/ships etc there are in the mission.

I then experimented with the shadows option. It had been set to low, but when setting it to off my frame rate never drops below the high 40s. So I'm pleasantly surprised as the fully occupied deck looks superb!! The game doesn't look as good without shadows but with a 1050ti I'm on cloud nine.

A big thank you to the developers for making an amazing game even better. I'm fairly sure some optimisation will be made to address the shadows issue in time.....as it only seems to be an issue for me with the Supercarrier. Really looking forward to updates on this module as they become available.

Thanks,

Mike

PS: System is i7(2600), 16GB ram, Gigabyte 1050ti (best I could get at the time given I require low profile card).
Derby2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #68
robin00795

I keep crashing with the recent update when approaching a carrier , starting on it is fine , but after long flight and coming back often crash in vr , i9 9900k /2080 ti , kinda frustrating when you flew for 1 hour then it crash on landing
robin00795 is offline   Reply With Quote