[AS INTENDED] CAT Take-off instructions removed?

ataribaby

I can't see instructions text that guides me to the catapult I should taxi to in top right corner as seen in manual. I need enable it somehow?

I know I can go to whatever cat I wish. Just missing this info that I saw on preview videos and is in manual.

Flying in VR.

Can't say I understand why that was removed. Wasn't part of the super carrier supposed to be more realistic and updated ATC? I can't imagine that the Navy allows its pilots to wander willy nilly around the deck (I know it's a game; before all of you descend on me like hawks for suggesting realism or something resembling it). I wonder if that is also linked to what is causing the AI pathing issues that were reported in another thread? Oh well I guess.

I understand it not being needed for online squadron flights, as they can organice themselves but with single player things change a lot.

I've done a test today filling up the carrier with IA, and because they just go about their business, it means that you are stuck in a mess of airplanes going through the deck and you have to force your way in, and therefore your wingmen won't be launching at the same time as you, mixing flights and such.

Over multi-player online servers, it gives the opportunity to self-organization to improve the overall quality of experience with this module.

Please consider adding it back, as it was a really nice addition to sort things out

I understand it not being needed for online squadron flights, as they can organice themselves but with single player things change a lot.

I've done a test today filling up the carrier with IA, and because they just go about their business, it means that you are stuck in a mess of airplanes going through the deck and you have to force your way in, and therefore your wingmen won't be launching at the same time as you, mixing flights and such.

Over multi-player online servers, it gives the opportunity to self-organization to improve the overall quality of experience with this module.

Please consider adding it back, as it was a really nice addition to sort things out

+1; the AI is a particular nuance. At least on MP you can (hopefully) coordinate on SRS.

I suspect it has to be there if we're going to have directors send us to cats some day.

That message was not useful for human players, as they can go to any cat they want.

It was useful only for the AI which is directed to a particular CAT.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

That message was not useful for human players, as they can go to any cat they want.

It was useful only for the AI which is directed to a particular CAT.

Then ATC should be updated to also direct human players....

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Then ATC should be updated to also direct human players....

The ATC on the carrier doesn't direct planes on the cats.

Ground crew does

• Like 1

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

How is it done IRL? It's free for all, like we players are? I very much doubt it

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

Depends on where the Jet would be chained down on the Deck. And also wich Cats are up.

The taxi Deal is managed by the Yellowshirts. One Aircraft-Handler gives the Jet to next one up/down the Deck till it reaches a Point behind the JBD. After that its the Catapult Crew that takes over and goes from there.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, so quite a difficult task to achieve proper for ED (animations, deck handling, covering all cases of player slots spawning, etc...), could be done at later stage of SC lifecycle or never.

Though something very simple just to cover players amongst AIs, which are handled in some way, would be good.

Like inserting players inside the AI logic, assigning them a cat like it's done for AI, and relaying that info in simple manner, could do the trick? That way, if current logic for AI covers the group cat assignation properly (ie, AIs in group are bundled together in cat assignation and take off within reasonable timeframe), then players would also benefit from that logic and be taking off with their group

How is it done IRL? It's free for all, like we players are? I very much doubt it

IRL there are the yellow shirts that directs you.

Probably this will be implemented at a later stage.

For now, the AI will receive that message (but the players won't see it), and humans can take which cat they wants.

Of course if you spawn on elevator 1 or 2 the convenient choice is to go cat I and cat II.

The opposite for other places.

In single player you won't have any issues. In multiplayer a bit of coordination is the best bet (by voice or chat if in a public server)

I'm sorry, but in my opinion the logic behind this decision is flawed. The carrier environment is tightly controlled and heavily coordinated for a reason. You do not want aircraft moving wherever they want on the deck while other aircraft are in the process of launch and recovery.

Not everyone online uses voice chat (SRS or default) and not everyone speaks the same language either. Online squadrons or groups would have to pull someone out of aircraft to control the area, possibly excluding them from flying with everyone, or being forced to design missions around the need to have a controller directing traffic so that everyone can participate.

I know that I will probably not be able to change ED's mind about this decision, but I hope they will at least consider adding the option for us to use this if we want a more realistic option.

How do I know the carrier acknowledged my request for launch? I’ve had multiple times when the deck has over 6 planes in MP and I request launch and the cat crew doesn’t give me any commands. We need some kind of feedback. If 4 players request launch does the 5th have to wait until one is launched or can they taxi and get launched in random order?

Edited by fmedges

I agree with most of the posts in this thread.

I think it missions where AI presence on the flight deck is high, this is essential for the player to get an idea of what the AI is intending to do.

I'd suggest this as an option for the carrier in the mission editor.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

How do I know the carrier acknowledged my request for launch? I’ve had multiple times when the deck has over 6 planes in MP and I request launch and the cat crew doesn’t give me any commands. We need some kind of feedback. If 4 players request launch does the 5th have to wait until one is launched or can they taxi and get launched in random order?

You should see the crew moving from recovery to launch position.

But they won’t do that if on cat3 or 4 during recovery operations.

If they don’t give you instructions, just stop behind the JBD and slowly advance until they recognize you an give instructions.

Sometimes you will need to go around and try again, or on a different cat. But in this openbeta should not happen too often.

About the message I can understand you, but it was not useful for human players...probably they will add taxi instructions via the crew later...let see what happens.

Who, exactly, decided that it wasn't useful for players? A small group of closed beta testers? Do they speak for the entire community? The message was a perfect stop gap until they could determine if plane directors are even feasible. Sure it's a "planned" feature, but what happens if it never surfaces?

I'm normally very supportive of ED and I understand this is EA, but this makes me think we will never see any form of improved ATC (and yes that includes ground or deck handling) in DCS. In the end people will just do whatever they want right? Why even waste the resources?

• ED Team
Who, exactly, decided that it wasn't useful for players? A small group of closed beta testers? Do they speak for the entire community? The message was a perfect stop gap until they could determine if plane directors are even feasible. Sure it's a "planned" feature, but what happens if it never surfaces?

I'm normally very supportive of ED and I understand this is EA, but this makes me think we will never see any form of improved ATC (and yes that includes ground or deck handling) in DCS. In the end people will just do whatever they want right? Why even waste the resources?

ED Decided it. I will pass along the feedback that some would like it to return as at least an option.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Sorry, probably I was not too much clear (I am not a native speaker, and this surely doesn't help)...

I meant not useful for players in the sense that that message was "directed" to the AI and humans can take whatever cat they want, so that indication was not mandatory. Probably seeing that could cause some confusion to players ED decided to remove (but I am guessing here about the reasons).

Of course having a system that direct both humans and the AI to the cats would be useful for human players.

Sorry if I was not so clear in my previous post...I hope my thoughts are more clear now :)

Edited by VirusAM