DCS manual error!

grafspee

I just came across fuel consumption charts form -3 and -7 engines.

Look it by yourself .

ULzlXrW.png

VORGEfe.png

and this is how it should look -7 engine

7tL983U.png

It looks by this that we have -3 engine not -7 that is why it is so weak at SL.

Or is it only DCS manual bug ?

I want to ask which do we have in dcs -7 or -3 and do fuel consumption modeled is for -3 or -7 engine, i will test it soon any way.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

It's just manual writer's bug... And it's not the worst.

In the model Bendix-Stromberg carburettor is adjusted according the factory data. But, interesting to know, that the same carburettor for Spitfires had different setting for AR mixture - more weak at high power rates.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

It's just manual writer's bug... And it's not the worst.

In the model Bendix-Stromberg carburettor is adjusted according the factory data. But, interesting to know, that the same carburettor for Spitfires had different setting for AR mixture - more weak at high power rates.

Maybe it has something to do with supercharger gear ratios, or it was just thing about safety. More weak = more power.

The same thing with power settings of the engine for example p-51 67" 3000 rpm it was so ho ho according to manual check time of operation, report there and there etc acording to pilots notes for spit MK IX merlin 66 18 lbs it was nothing, No warning no nothing. It was rated T/o power :P

British had to knew some secret about anti knock, because taking off at 67" in p-51 was no go, at least in DCS it ends quickly in real life i doubt that anyone would like to test it :p.

In case 150 grade fuel Merlin 66 could boost 80" and p-51 was allowed for 74/75". Both nations tested those engines, then both set safe operation limits for those planes, thats it. I doubt that any of those limits were very close to disaster level.

v2fdon3.png

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

I think, it was a part of a whole story about mixture. Initially, the carburettor lever has AL and AR positions, but later AL was removed. I guess, it was done because of many known cases as the pilots forgot to switch to AR as they engaged enemies and started to dogfight. For Mustangs, with their endless fuel it was not a problem, but for Spitfires it definetely was. So, AR mixture strength setting was reduced a bit keeping it rich enough for MIL and WEP.

If you rememeber, we encountered it using MUstang carburettor for the Spitfire and geting lower flight duration... :)

Edited by Yo-Yo

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I think, it was a part of a whole story about mixture. Initially, the carburettor lever has AL and AR positions, but later AL was removed. I guess, it was done because of many known cases as the pilots forgot to switch to AR as they engaged enemies and started to dogfight. For Mustangs, with their endless fuel it was not a problem, but for Spitfires it definetely was. So, AR mixture strength setting was reduced a bit keeping it rich enough for MIL and WEP.

If you rememeber, we encountered it using MUstang carburettor for the Spitfire and geting lower flight duration... :)

I think you meant that pilots forgot to switch back to AL after fight right. This would shorten flight duration ? Forgetting switching to AR and going for WEP would kill engine.

• ED Team

No, I did not mean that, and yes, they killed. :)

No, I did not mean that, and yes, they killed. :)

Oh ok, you switched to fuel consumption problem topic in the end, i though that pilots were cursing at AR thus burning fuel more.

• ED Team

No, it was the first and the second steps: remove AL possibility not to damage engines and 2) oops, Spitfires burn fuel too early, then reduce AR strenght. So, we went the same way... :)

No, it was the first and the second steps: remove AL possibility not to damage engines and 2) oops, Spitfires burn fuel too early, then reduce AR strenght. So, we went the same way... :)

Cruise at AR and fight at AL the best combination :)

Sometimes im thinking that allied pilot before entering fight almost had to drawn "before fight check list" :) this will be needed in case of p-47

Edited by grafspee