High Altitude Afterburner Fuel Flow

Mustang25

I flew a mission last night where I was in full AB for approximately 12 minutes with my altitude starting at about 30k ft and went up to 49,800 ft. During this time I only burned about 1200-1300lbs of fuel.

This seems suuuuuper low to me unless I have a misunderstanding of fuel flow at higher altitudes?

I flew a mission last night where I was in full AB for approximately 12 minutes with my altitude starting at about 30k ft and went up to 49,800 ft. During this time I only burned about 1200-1300lbs of fuel.

This seems suuuuuper low to me unless I have a misunderstanding of fuel flow at higher altitudes?

I do not think flying at that altitude, loaded up is even realistic for this jet so not sure why and how you did it. Considering we get similar result with F-14, it seems possible. You can even take empty harrier that high and get similarish result and the community told me that it is totally possible for it.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - UNTOUCHED - ABANDONED

I do not think flying at that altitude, loaded up is even realistic for this jet so not sure why and how you did it.

I did it because the sim let me, lol. That's why I'm asking the question because I didn't think it was possible so I wanted to see if this is some error in FM/engine performance. Also, just for reference, I was loaded with 4xSD-10 and a centerline tank which I jettisoned at 30k ft so I started with a full internal fuel load during those 12 minutes.

Considering we get similar result with F-14, it seems possible. You can even take empty harrier that high and get similarish result and the community told me that it is totally possible for it.

That's interesting. I never would have expected fuel consumption to be that low with AB on.