F-15 vs F-14

Rdash007

It was a schoolyard topic in the 80's which plane is better, the F-14 or the F-15? The F-14 was the best plane the US Navy had in the 80's replacing the F-4 Phantom II, but was it the best plane in the US arsenal? The answer is and was no. Top Gun glorified the F-14 Tomcat which was a great plane but in aerial combat the F-15 or the F-16 was a better choice. The F-15 may not have been as pretty as the F-14 but in aerial combat it was a better choice. It was designed as an Air Superiority Fighter, and is still in use today. I love both planes but I decided to see which was better myself.

So I made a quick simulation and set the F-14 up as the computer and set the pilot settings to high. To match my own skill set. I am piloting the F-15 and although it did take 3 missiles to shoot it down, it really wasn't that hard to do. The SU-33 has given me more of a run for my money then the F-14.

Let's have a look at what happened.

Edited by Rdash007

Now try that combat with the F15 having no Aim120s, which wasn’t introduced until 91, by which time the F14 was something like 18 years old.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

It was a schoolyard topic in the 80's which plane is better, the F-14 or the F-15? The F-14 was the best plane the US Navy had in the 80's replacing the F-4 Phantom II, but was it the best plane in the US arsenal? The answer is and was no. Top Gun glorified the F-14 Tomcat which was a great plane but in aerial combat the F-15 or the F-16 was a better choice. The F-15 may not have been as pretty as the F-14 but in aerial combat it was a better choice. It was designed as an Air Superiority Fighter, and is still in use today. I love both planes but I decided to see which was better myself.

So I made a quick simulation and set the F-14 up as the computer and set the pilot settings to high. To match my own skill set. I am piloting the F-15 and although it did take 3 missiles to shoot it down, it really wasn't that hard to do. The SU-33 has given me more of a run for my money then the F-14.

Let's have a look at what happened.

The AI is a really bad measurment for that, especially as the Tomcat AI doesn't know hot to employ the Phoenix properly...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Your not wrong about Top Gun glorifying the F-14 but you can't use DCS as your metric to say the F-15 was definitively better than the F-14. The flight models are good but they aren't perfect and the AI is dumber than a box of rocks with lead poisoning in a lot of cases, not to mention the AI flight model doesn't play by the same rules and the player's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

537 Mongo
CO vVF-161 Fightin' Stingrays
Check us out on the web!