Panavia Tornado variants?

CyMPAK

Panavia Tornado variants?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Panavia Tornado variants?

• Tornado IDS - interdictor/strike
    • Tornado ADV - interceptor/fighter

IDS because the ADV was bloody useless until very late in its career - when it was upgraded to mediocre

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

GR1 (IDS)

The ADV wasn't much of a fighter as at couldn't dogfight. It was designed to shoot down the Bombers.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

1. Tornado IDS (interdictor/strike)

2. Tornado ADV (fighter/interceptor)

You forgot the Tornado ECR on your list!

My wish would be the Tornado IDS ASSTA 3.1 that is currently in use with the German air Force (although that one is probably way to modern to be a realistic option for DCS)

attachment.php?attachmentid=208620&d=1555184876

attachment.php?attachmentid=208619&d=1555184876

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

None of them. Sweeping the wings manually is pretty janky stuff.

The ADV has automatic wing sweep as far as I know.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

None of them. Sweeping the wings manually is pretty janky stuff.

The Saudi IDS has automatic wing sweep... and it fits to the PG map dealwithit.png

I'd mostly like early GR.1 / IDS, but wouldn't mind the GR.4 or one of the ASSTA upgrades.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The modern upgrades are focused more on high altitude operations which was not what the airframe was designed for. Plus, the documents on these are probably classified given the modern weapons on them. So, I'd personally prefer the original IDS. ADV would of course be nice to have as an extra for some fictional scenarios over the North Sea, though I'm not sure how fun would it be to fly those engines at high altitude.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Well the ADV is an interceptor. I'd rather have the EE Lightning for that, but if it'd be not too much work to get that variant as well once the IDS is done, I'd gladly take it. Same goes for the JA-37 BTW. I'd buy them on day one.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Early Tornado IDS variant is probably the most feasible variant to model (GR.1/ GR.1A with maybe the GR.1B as a possible variant) I mean I'll buy any Tornado (though personally I'm all about the SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3 / GR.3A)

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The modern upgrades are focused more on high altitude operations which was not what the airframe was designed for. Plus, the documents on these are probably classified given the modern weapons on them. So, I'd personally prefer the original IDS. ADV would of course be nice to have as an extra for some fictional scenarios over the North Sea, though I'm not sure how fun would it be to fly those engines at high altitude.

While they gained a lot of capabilities for mid-high altitude operations, they didn't loose their capabilities needed for low level operations (apart from weapons like JP233 or MW-1 being phased out and reduced pilot training for low level flying). I agree with the classification problem for the modern avionics stuff though. And the oldschool analog and monochrome instruments/displays are always pretty cool!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think the ADV gets a bad rep, mostly from Internet armchair quarterbacks who think turning well is the only defining characteristic of a good fighter, but given the choice I'd definitely go for an IDS.

I'd take an early one (say from Desert Storm) over a new one because it kind of fits the DCS period better, and shiny new toys like JDAM and Storm Shadow are flashy but they aren't nearly as fun as the old-school low altitude, so I personally wouldn't miss them.

I think the ADV gets a bad rep, mostly from Internet armchair quarterbacks who think turning well is the only defining characteristic of a good fighter, but given the choice I'd definitely go for an IDS.

I'd take an early one (say from Desert Storm) over a new one because it kind of fits the DCS period better, and shiny new toys like JDAM and Storm Shadow are flashy but they aren't nearly as fun as the old-school low altitude, so I personally wouldn't miss them.

Ask WindyTX about it. A former F3 pilot. I asked him about it and it was a more capable airplane than people ever gave it credit for. I believe the radar was particularly good. I’m sure he would defend it from some of the bashing it receives. That being said I would prefer the interdiction variant. I just love it.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I wasn't going to say anything but if we got stage 1 plus I would be happy. I retired before Amraam and Asraam that was in with stage 2 but I heard good things about it.

To be fair tho the pre active missiles days was the glory days of the fighter pilot. You had to get close (I guess the Lightning guys said a similar thing tho of the guns era), at least in a semi active war you are always in close at the end, so end up in a visual merge half the time. It takes a lot more coordination to fight a semi active war tho which I guess makes it less popular in DCS.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

While they gained a lot of capabilities for mid-high altitude operations, they didn't loose their capabilities needed for low level operations (apart from weapons like JP233 or MW-1 being phased out and reduced pilot training for low level flying). I agree with the classification problem for the modern avionics stuff though. And the oldschool analog and monochrome instruments/displays are always pretty cool!

They indeed lost capabilities. The resolution of the MFDs is lower then the CRPMG. On the CRPMG the details were more nuance.

TFR is frozen, they're not even sure if they can be reactivated. So no low level in bad wather any more. They gained 3 JDAMS, more is not cleared yet. They mostly gained in EW stuff, but that would not affect us.

So in terms of DCS, we would even get less, if we get a modern bird.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

80s or 90s IDS.

+1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The ADV wasn't a great aircraft and was in a lot of ways unsuited to its intercept role, in fact, It had problems with intercepting the latest Soviet bombers as it was quite slow at altitude. The concept was fundamentally flawed as it was based on a design for a low-level Interdicter strike aircraft wasn't really manoeuvrable and had questionable high-level performance. I remember transiting back from the Gulf on an RAF VC10 which was refuelling Tornadoes on the way back to UK. The VC-10 had to slow down and decrease altitude in order for the Tornadoes to refuel, I remember talking to one of the crew afterwards and he said it was like balancing an elephant on top of a pencil at above 20,000 feet with a combat load... ;)

So ADV was @#$% IMHO would not add much to DCS, IDS version however (probably Gr1) would be a great addition and would be great fun with varied weapons loads and a targeting pod. TFR at low level would also be awesome.

BTW, I'm not an armchair critic by any definition... ;)

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

:thumbup:

Same thoughts here, told it in short.

With best regards.

Early Tornado IDS variant is probably the most feasible variant to model (GR.1/ GR.1A with maybe the GR.1B as a possible variant) I mean I'll buy any Tornado (though personally I'm all about the SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3 / GR.3A)
I hold onto the hope that we'll have both someday.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.