To preprder or not to preorder?

Cann0nF0dd3r

Personally, I think of how inexpensive the modules are, given how long they take to make. How many DCS players are there? Maybe several thousands? Maybe there's a lot more than it seems, but I suspect nobody is getting super rich making DCS modules. Thanks to those people who do!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Wags for your answer.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Think of it as saving money as well, $14 bonus credit to put towards Straights of Hormuz, the new carrier and the inevitable Hornet campaigns ;)

Wait a minute, aren't the new carriers going to be a part of SoH?

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

Wait a minute, aren't the new carriers going to be a part of SoH?

All I know is that ED have said that there will be an new paid high fidelity carrier, and a low fidelity free one.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

All I know is that ED have said that there will be an new paid high fidelity carrier, and a low fidelity free one.

Yep same here. My memory is fuzzy but I think it was said early on that the advanced carriers will come with Straits of Hormuz, I don't know perhaps I was dreaming :P.

Don't even know where to search, will wait & see if someone who knows better can confirm either way.

Games these days aren't really even 60 bucks anymore. Most of them have different "versions" that cost more. Look at Shadow of War for example, 60 bucks for the base game, Silver for 80 bucks, Gold for 99 bucks. Not to mention games that have GOTY versions, DLC, Expansions, etc. To get an entire experience of a game you are spending way more than 60 bucks.

Now let's look at something like the Hornet... how many years has this been in development? 6 or more? Longer than most AAA games.

We can also look at it from an aspect of price per playtime. Most AAA games let's say you get 15-30 hours of content before you pretty much got everything the game has to offer (there are exceptions). Put that against the F-18 or any other DCS modules, and you start to see how little they actually cost.

Basically, I don't feel there is any legit argument against modules being more expensive than 60 bucks. If you don't think it is worth it, or cannot afford it, wait for a sale.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I just bought the F-18 Hornet and find it to be a reasonable price for what we will eventually get.

A price of 80 dollars for a high quality module is not too expensive and now it's priced at only 60 dollars plus you get 16 dollars bonus to spend on other stuff.

Most of the wannabe fighter pilots on these forums probably spend thousands of dollars on the hardware needed just to run this simulator.

I would buy an high quality F-16 Falcon (Viper) module at double the price if was coming from ED and up for per-order.

So ED keep up the quality work and keep the modules coming. :thumbup:

Edited by Dutch60

i9 13900KS  (H150i), RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM @ 6000 MHz CL30, TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD's, MFG Crosswind, LG 48GQ900, Valve Index VR, TrackIR 5, Win11 Pro x64

I have been disappointed at all the price carping. I appreciate that it is expensive for some. But the cost IMHO is reasonable. I usually enjoy this time where we get opinions and wishes for what's to come. I feel let down that it has been sidetracked. But I recall an instance of a machine being delivered when I was still in the MOB, (RAF), You could do it the RAF way, spend £186 million, for the base model, (GR4) then another £80 million to sharpen the nose, put concrete ballast where the stillnotreadyforproductionradar should have gone and call the squadron, 'working up' Tornado F3. Never put it up against F-15's and during the only war it took part in, make sure the f-15's are in front of it. So, I say again, I buy, because I know it's an investment for future enjoyment, I NEVER expect it to be 100% operational with all toys attached. I look forward to updates and thoroughly enjoy what I have.

Never realised, see WAG's answer above, just how much messing about they had to do in negotiating. Thanks WAGS and all involved, been waiting since JANE's 1999....and I ain't getting any younger, We have never had it so good. IMHO

Yep same here. My memory is fuzzy but I think it was said early on that the advanced carriers will come with Straits of Hormuz, I don't know perhaps I was dreaming :P.

Don't even know where to search, will wait & see if someone who knows better can confirm either way.

No, they said they would be released around the same time. Granted that was when they were still trying for a Winter 2016 release. So I would not expect that to hold true today.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I think it's a very simple proposition: Do I think that this plane will keep me engaged for literally hundreds of hours? And the answer to that question is easily yes. So 60$ (even 80$ for that matter) is actually on the cheap side when compared to other games in general.

Judging by ED's past projects and updates on the F-18 I have absolutely no doubt that ED will deliver.

Thank you ED for such an affordable module!

Given all the required research, licensing, manpower, time and effort, and finally marketing needed to produce a module of this scale of fidelity, I just wanted to say Thank You ED for keeping the price of this module so low.

You are running a business and have to find that sweet spot where you can make a profit and at the same time you need to be competitive in a niche market, not an easy task.

Thank you for all your effort on this, many are eagerly awaiting this module as the EA development heads into the final lap. I can assure you that 99.9% of the community is very grateful for your effort and supports you.

Cheers,

Robert

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just realised that not only is it on $20 discount, but that you ALSO get $16 of vouchers. Assuming you're likely to use the vouchers (I know I will), then that cost is looking pretty rosy.

For reference, conscious that I used to play World of Tanks. Whilst I only ever bought one premium tank, I've seen some buy a large number of them. As the T8 tanks cost close on $40 in the UK, for something that is NOTHING like as complex as an F18, does make you wonder.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

who needs dcs F/A-18 when u can just play the plane mission in Battlefield 3?

Jk i preordered this, been waiting for it since the A-10 dropped

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

I must say that the price is right and i expected higher price for f-18 just because of complexity.

60 dollars for what u get and time u ll spend in dcs is best price/performance ratio in all genres i know.

Wags is right in all points and as someone said pmdg pricing is way above dcs modules while getting the same complexity. (Definitely f-18 is way more complex than B737)

Real bad is for students or young simmers that are dependent on parents money.

And btw prepurchased.

PS. Still waiting for donate button to support ED

Edited by jctrnacty

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

Generally we get a release date and the pre purchase price is available until it is released ?

Is that right, I am buying a house and need all my money for the deposit:cry: Once the sale goes through it will be fine but for now I am a pauper.

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well i totally understand why the Hornet cost a few bucks more. Much more complex System n stuff.

But if this is the reason why the Hornet costs much more, why is the a "simple" WWII Plane like the Spitfire just 10 bucks cheaper than the Viggen and 20 bucks cheaper than the Harrier?

If the more complex Systems are the reason im totally fine with it but that price policy assumes that the complex systems arent such a great factor at all.

Dont get me wrong, i allready preordered the Hornet but the arguments arent that logical to me if you take a look at the whole picture.

Generally we get a release date and the pre purchase price is available until it is released ?

Is that right, I am buying a house and need all my money for the deposit:cry: Once the sale goes through it will be fine but for now I am a pauper.

I'd be very surprised if the Hornet is released by February or March, so I think it's a good bet that we won't get a release before that. It looks like we're getting an April-May release it seems. So i'd say you're most probably fine if you hold on a month or two, I hope you can make it :thumbup:.

@Delareon, Have you read Wagner's reply on this? there are many more factors that contribute to the price than just the complexity.

• Like 1

I guess the question is ... Did you end up pre-ordering or not?

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

£/$ Exchange rate is pretty decent currently though...

I've been thinking about it since the announcement, and just pre ordered. By the time it arrives I'll have forgotten about spending the money :music_whistling:

• Like 1

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

This is what I think about the release date in late spring. :megalol:

The new formula to sell the hornet is well thought out for both cases, developers and potential customers. The scheduled time to launch the product in the early access is intended to guarantee any unforeseen module, and potential customers have time to save the $80 that the module costs.. You have enough time to save the cost of the module just by buying a piggy bank. :D

I'm going to wait 2 months to buy it, I think it can go down in price in the next few months. :D

Edited by purpi