By way of an update

Pman

Well, VEAO did say that they have a clearance from the MOD and access to all the necessary data but are not allowed to simulate it all. Instead they said they can emulate all the things in question in a way that there would be no difference for the player, because the differences will be under the hood and not visible to the player.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crux of it came down to this really.

We had the data we needed to SIMulate the result and provide, within acceptable and agreed tolerances, accurate information for the sim. There were a couple of complete no goes that would have been EMulated.

The issue is abit like that old high school maths paper, we could give you the answer but not show our workings out, that was something we were not able to agree to pass QA and as we mentioned before when the contract came up for renewal discussions we decided that we would not pursue a public release of Typhoon.

Pman

Canning Tiffy is about the most logical thing I've heard in these forums for a while. If DCS is about accuracy and the plane is at least in some ways operational and requiring clearance for additional detail, then holding an NDA for a RF company and UK clearance on data stacked in the middle is absolutely out of the question and in direct competition. It's pretty much punching a hole through your firewall. It's also very understandable. As much as politics shouldn't be discussed because of the competing nature of the developers homeland versus the nationalities of the various consumers, it's quite obvious this occurs in different areas also, for example ED's own difficulties with certain Russian airframes. It's very much a problem.

There were only ever two outcomes of a Tiffy: A substandard model lacking the detailed operational level information to back it up, OR the British government releasing operational data to a foreign national of interest. As a DV cleared Brit I'm committed to our national security and am happy it got binned, it wasn't realistic. There should just be no more conversation on this.

Please finish the Hawk though, it's got such a good potential for a revenue stream if it's done right.

Its being done :)

There was a number of improvements and fixes in the 1.5.8 patch and will be in the 2.2 patch, although most of the back end rework, rather than fixes, will come during 2018

Pman

The crux of it came down to this really.

We had the data we needed to SIMulate the result and provide, within acceptable and agreed tolerances, accurate information for the sim. There were a couple of complete no goes that would have been EMulated.

The issue is abit like that old high school maths paper, we could give you the answer but not show our workings out, that was something we were not able to agree to pass QA and as we mentioned before when the contract came up for renewal discussions we decided that we would not pursue a public release of Typhoon.

Pman

Makes sense, thanks. :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Apparently these were not disclosed in EDs newsletter?

I better go check out my bird...

Yeah I think I added the notes to the wrong internal document so they werent in the list

FM improvements and tweaks

AHARS bugs fixed

Electrical bugs squished (some of them anyway)

Weapon Pickle function tuned

Weapon load outs amended and fixed

Various other little tweaks and fixes

We still know about the taxing issue with wind in the mission and are continuing to investigate it

Pman

Canning Tiffy is about the most logical thing I've heard in these forums for a while. If DCS is about accuracy and the plane is at least in some ways operational and requiring clearance for additional detail, then holding an NDA for a RF company and UK clearance on data stacked in the middle is absolutely out of the question and in direct competition. It's pretty much punching a hole through your firewall. It's also very understandable. As much as politics shouldn't be discussed because of the competing nature of the developers homeland versus the nationalities of the various consumers, it's quite obvious this occurs in different areas also, for example ED's own difficulties with certain Russian airframes. It's very much a problem.

There were only ever two outcomes of a Tiffy: A substandard model lacking the detailed operational level information to back it up, OR the British government releasing operational data to a foreign national of interest. As a DV cleared Brit I'm committed to our national security and am happy it got binned, it wasn't realistic. There should just be no more conversation on this.

Please finish the Hawk though, it's got such a good potential for a revenue stream if it's done right.

If I understood correect, unfortunately, they were even able to EMulate the ultra confidential stuff (as in result is realistic, but the way to get the result is not).

The breaking point was that EDs QA defined in the new contracts requires access to the source of these exact information. That is obviously not possible.

So they have the means to do a pretty realistic Typhoon, but can't fulfill a contract with ED under the new terms, as QA would require a breach of agreement with the officials...

Sad, but it is what it is.

On the other hand there is enough in the pipeline to keep us happy, from the Hawk continuously getting more love, to the P-40F still in the queue.

Keep it coming, guys. :)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yeah I think I added the notes to the wrong internal document so they werent in the list

FM improvements and tweaks

AHARS bugs fixed

Electrical bugs squished (some of them anyway)

Weapon Pickle function tuned

Weapon load outs amended and fixed

Various other little tweaks and fixes

We still know about the taxing issue with wind in the mission and are continuing to investigate it

Pman

Hey Pman, I checked the aircraft and I can confirm you certainly did *something* to the AHARS :D

At startup it didn't start aligning at all until I started to taxi, at which point it started rolling violently, though not as violently as before.

After a while the rolling didn't stop, so I started to fiddle with the alignment knob. It seemed to me that the knob is initialized to the other end of the scale and has to be centered to make the rolling stop.

I don't know if there is anything else going on, because once I centered the knob the AHARS seemed to work perfectly!

Very good news. The progress is slow, but I have my hopes up for an eventual aircraft that is working as advertised ;)

EDIT: For some reason the HSI doesn't seem to point at VOR stations atm...

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Edited by MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Hey Pman, I checked the aircraft and I can confirm you certainly did *something* to the AHARS :D

At startup it didn't start aligning at all until I started to taxi, at which point it started rolling violently, though not as violently as before.

After a while the rolling didn't stop, so I started to fiddle with the alignment knob. It seemed to me that the knob is initialized to the other end of the scale and has to be centered to make the rolling stop.

I don't know if there is anything else going on, because once I centered the knob the AHARS seemed to work perfectly!

Very good news. The progress is slow, but I have my hopes up for an eventual aircraft that is working as advertised ;)

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

:helpsmilie: :helpsmilie: :helpsmilie:

Lol, are you in DCS2? Is it a new mission?

Pman

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Side note - we did notice some deviation with VOR on DCS 2 - it requires tweaking the nav database system that Tango used historically and will be replaced entirely.

To be brutal - we will have to scrap it and start over, that will be one of the first things we redo in the new year

Pman

To be brutal - we will have to scrap it and start over, that will be one of the first things we redo in the new year

Pman

Yes, please. That would enable the Hawk as a navigation training platform and to learn ILS / TACAN approaches on NTTR... :wub:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

:helpsmilie: :helpsmilie: :helpsmilie:

Lol, are you in DCS2? Is it a new mission?

Pman

Nope. 1.5.8 and it's the stock cold start day -mission.

EDIT: Also I just briefli tested this twice today, so I need to investigate further what is a actually going on.

I can confirm though, that on both instances the AHARS didn't start aligning before I started to move the aircraft (aling started approx 15-30

seconds after I started taxiing). On both occations I waited patiently for the align to start before taxiing, but to no avail.

Edited by MikeMikeJuliet

Nope. 1.5.8 and it's the stock cold start day -mission.

EDIT: Also I just briefli tested this twice today, so I need to investigate further what is a actually going on.

I can confirm though, that on both instances the AHARS didn't start aligning before I started to move the aircraft (aling started approx 15-30

seconds after I started taxiing). On both occations I waited patiently for the align to start before taxiing, but to no avail.

In testing before we patched we timed it around 3-3:15 mins before the AHARS aligned then you can pootle off from there normally.

We changed the functionality for the gyros in fixing some of the issues with the electrical system, it may be a side effect of taxing before the alignment of the gyros is complete.

I will have a look at the weekend.

Pman

Edit: We may need to remember to reversion the missions as well, I will check this as well

In testing before we patched we timed it around 3-3:15 mins before the AHARS aligned then you can pootle off from there normally.

We changed the functionality for the gyros in fixing some of the issues with the electrical system, it may be a side effect of taxing before the alignment of the gyros is complete.

I will have a look at the weekend.

Pman

Edit: We may need to remember to reversion the missions as well, I will check this as well

Hmm... it still could be that I was under the 3-minute mark since I did not follow an exact startup procedure. I will test and report my findings - this indeed could just be me being *so fast*.

But, at the very least the crazy toppling bug seems to be fixed.

I’m having some issues merging the models together at the moment as some meshes were also changed and added like proper parking brake and map box.

Good to hear. The sides of the cockpit are way too barren now compared to the real thing. And yes, I know there are empty spaces, especially back left, but it's not *that* empty.

Looking forward to it.

Any news on the P-40F, or is it held entirely on hold until 2.5?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]