Transfer DCSW to a new drive without reinstalling

Steel Jaw

Or if not any other method?

I just copy the folder with Windows’ file manager and then edit manually the dcs shortcuts to point to the new location. Once tested that it works ok, then I delete the original.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I just copy the folder with Windows’ file manager and then edit manually the dcs shortcuts to point to the new location. Once tested that it works ok, then I delete the original.

Shouldn't be that easy I thought with the registry but I will try and advise success.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Shouldn't be that easy I thought with the registry but I will try and advise success.

you don't need to worry about the registry

you can move your dcs installation to anywhere you want, just don't forget to update the shortcut

the only thing could be affected is the update source. i.e., if you install both release and ob via installer, normally release update will copy files from ob first. After you move the location of release/ob, the path of ob stored in registry becomes incorrect, but you can have alternative way to tell release version where the ob locates. It's just a txt file in root folder of release installation. Cannot remember exact detail now, will update it later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Cannot remember exact detail now, will update it later.

I would be obliged if you come back with that info at your leasure, kind sir.

BTW just moving the entire directory and updating the shortcut did work.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

BTW just moving the entire directory and updating the shortcut did work.

In shortcut, you need to change the path not only for the "Target", but also "Start in"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

if you have multiple installations, then you may need below:

1. create a txt file 'dcs_local_source.txt' under the root of your dcs installation (i.e. release)

2. open dcs_local_source.txt with notepad++

3. add path of update source (i.e. openbeta)

F:/DCS_Openbeta

or

F:\\DCS_Openbeta

then later, if you update release, it will first check your openbeta, and copy files from your source installation first (if source is newer). This can save download time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you have multiple installations, then you may need below:

.... This can save download time.

Thanks a lot for the tip, will add it to my files :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB