Throttletek F-18 throttle - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 AM   #41
streakeagle

I am interested in this kind of throttle... very authentic. But if I am going to pay $1,000, I expect it to be close to a perfect replica. It looks like the levers are at least 50% too long, maybe closer to 100%. I have looked at several cockpit photos of real F/A-18s. The real levers seem to be a little longer than on some other aircraft, but not nearly as tall as I see in the photos here. That is assuming that the throttle is meant to be mounted with the top of the enclosure flush with the rest of the left console.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #42
=Buckeye=

Default Throttletek F-18 throttle

I just placed my order for a custom Throttletek F/A-18C throttle, built with Hall sensors (instead of the standard Pots that usually come with this throttle). This is a considered a custom order.

In addition, to eliminate any risk of the buttons not functioning as I want them to, I have purchased all of the switches and buttons to be placed in to the throttle during it's construction myself. I elected to go with all authentic Otto brand mil-spec switches, the same brand as the ones used in the real throttles. Roberto will be provided the TDC and antenna elevation wheel for me as I did not source those myself.

Lastly, I have also supplied a Honeywell MS27719-21-1 On-Off-On 3-way toggle switch for the Master Exterior Lights toggle on the outboard side of the throttle.

The build is expected to be ready to ship approx. mid-October.

Pictures of the mapping with parts listed:

On Order:
Custom made Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Halls Sensors and Otto switches

VR Rig:
ASUS ROG Strix Gaming OC 1080Ti | i7-4790K | Dell U3415W Curved 21:9 3440x1440 on Ergotron LX Tall mount | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB | (x2) Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
=Buckeye= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #43
=Buckeye=

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
I am interested in this kind of throttle... very authentic. But if I am going to pay $1,000, I expect it to be close to a perfect replica. It looks like the levers are at least 50% too long, maybe closer to 100%. I have looked at several cockpit photos of real F/A-18s. The real levers seem to be a little longer than on some other aircraft, but not nearly as tall as I see in the photos here. That is assuming that the throttle is meant to be mounted with the top of the enclosure flush with the rest of the left console.
It's vertical position/size looks to be accurate IMO (see attached photo from the Legacy Hornet cockpit), the actual part that your fingers rest on is just thinner than what is in the real thing. I am going to ask Roberto about seeing if I can have this made a bit wider...good call out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA203547.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	189711  

On Order:

VR Rig:
ASUS ROG Strix Gaming OC 1080Ti | i7-4790K | Dell U3415W Curved 21:9 3440x1440 on Ergotron LX Tall mount | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB | (x2) Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

Last edited by =Buckeye=; 07-11-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #44
DDSSTT

Buckeye, how much extra is he going to charge you for the custom modifications?
DDSSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #45
=Buckeye=

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSSTT View Post
Buckeye, how much extra is he going to charge you for the custom modifications?
It it tough to pin down an exact amount as there are both puts and takes on the cost. On one hand I am adding customization (increasing his build COGS) and on the other I am providing my own materials for the majority of the switches (reducing COGS).

Here is what I can tell you, the stock price for the base model with pots is $950. My base price is $1000 (plus it is written in that I will provide said switches via mail). DHL Shipping is still the same at $150 and there is still the same $50 Paypal fee charge. So totaled up mine is $1200 versus the regular $1150...

But I am sending him > $300 worth of Otto switches (my choice, because I want very high quality parts with great feel), so all in I am looking to be just a hair north of $1500

If Roberto was providing all of the materials (switches and toggle) himself, I don't know what the price would be as I never asked...but I assume there would be a markup over the $1200 total I've listed above.

On Order:

VR Rig:
Old 07-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #46
flyingspanner

Watching this thread with interest as I am also like Buckeye looking for the accurate simulation.

Still a bit concerned that the wires are loose as such, for the price it should be all machined into a channel and secured or actually built in completely.

FlyingSpanner
flyingspanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:18 AM   #47
streakeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Buckeye= View Post
It's vertical position/size looks to be accurate IMO (see attached photo from the Legacy Hornet cockpit), the actual part that your fingers rest on is just thinner than what is in the real thing. I am going to ask Roberto about seeing if I can have this made a bit wider...good call out.
It is hard to judge from a top down angle. There are few good shots with a low enough angle to see the elevation of the grips above the panel. But the ones I can find show the panel to be sloped. So the smaller, outboard grip to the left is fairly close to the panel when in the idle position. While the inner, larger grip is well above the panel at the inside edge. Hard to say for sure with the available real life photos, but it still looks a bit too high. The size of the grips would definitely affect the appearance versus the actual height.

To eliminate camera lens distortion, I need to go sit in a real cockpit in person... preferably with a movable throttle so I can judge the radius of the movement arc and see how the height varies throughout the throttle range.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #48
=Buckeye=

Default Throttletek F-18 throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspanner View Post
Watching this thread with interest as I am also like Buckeye looking for the accurate simulation.

Still a bit concerned that the wires are loose as such, for the price it should be all machined into a channel and secured or actually built in completely.

FlyingSpanner

Wouldn’t be too concerned, that’s how it is in the real thing too...just wrapped in nylon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
It is hard to judge from a top down angle. There are few good shots with a low enough angle to see the elevation of the grips above the panel. But the ones I can find show the panel to be sloped. So the smaller, outboard grip to the left is fairly close to the panel when in the idle position. While the inner, larger grip is well above the panel at the inside edge. Hard to say for sure with the available real life photos, but it still looks a bit too high. The size of the grips would definitely affect the appearance versus the actual height.

To eliminate camera lens distortion, I need to go sit in a real cockpit in person... preferably with a movable throttle so I can judge the radius of the movement arc and see how the height varies throughout the throttle range.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/majesco/fa18cockpit.jpg[IMG]

Here are some pretty solid views used as referenced when modeling the Throttletek...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Order:

VR Rig:
Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 AM   #49
Anonymous User

Hi guys, thought I'd chime in as I have one of these units...and a a few hundred hours in the jet.

Overall this product has a lot of potential, but there are numerous issues which I will list below. It seems to be more of a prototype (I hope) and Roberto has accepted my request to send it back to have the issues resolved. Considering the cost, I would expect it to be 99.9% accurate. Note I also paid extra to have the ">80% real switches" fitted; namely the TDC. So, in rough order of most annoying to least...

-the TDC is not secure in its mount. The transducer can be rotated with minimal force, which obviously wreaks havoc on axis alignment
-the TDC depress action only works some of the time (not at all currently)...possibly has something to do with the above comment
-pots are used for the throttle axis, which I wouldn't normally care about, but they are not symmetrical, so split throttles are required for the same output (I've tried to calibrate but the issue still stands)
- the wiring from the throttles through the unit is not secure or clear of moving parts. This has the effect of random signal spasms, and consequent throttle bashing from idle-max etc at a rapid pace. Unpredictable, and when I fly the Spit (left for RPM, right for throttle) it is essentially unflyable
- the finger lifts are required to be pulled up to push into afterburner. This is inaccurate and annoying...the real aircraft requires a push through a minor detent..the ONLY time the finger lifts are touched are for engine shutdown. This is obviously a design flaw more than build quality, but must be rectified.
- Comm switch and radar elevation wheel are not spring loaded to center like they should be
- Comm switch is only 3 way (Comm1, OFF, Comm2) and it should be 5way as previously mentioned (Comm1, MidsA, MidsB, Comm2, Off)
- Speedbrake switch is only 2 way, it needs to be 3 way (extend, off, retract)
- Cage/uncage switch should be the same switch as the ATC and RAID/FLIR buttons (it is some random cheap button atm)

Like I said, I believe this I have more of a prototype, and Roberto has accepted to help fix the issues, so don't pass too much judgement. I actually think it is a beautiful product, just needs to be tweaked. I am also sourcing some genuine switches and hopefully Throttletek agree to modify my unit to make it more accurate. Will keep y'all updated.

Last edited by Anonymous User; 07-19-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #50
=Buckeye=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous User View Post
Hi guys, thought I'd chime in as I have one of these units...and a a few hundred hours in the jet.

Overall this product has a lot of potential, but there are numerous issues which I will list below. It seems to be more of a prototype (I hope) and Roberto has accepted my request to send it back to have the issues resolved. Considering the cost, I would expect it to be 99.9% accurate. Note I also paid extra to have the ">80% real switches" fitted; namely the TDC. So, in rough order of most annoying to least...

-the TDC is not secure in its mount. The transducer can be rotated with minimal force, which obviously wreaks havoc on axis alignment
-the TDC depress action only works some of the time (not at all currently)...possibly has something to do with the above comment
-pots are used for the throttle axis, which I wouldn't normally care about, but they are not symmetrical, so split throttles are required for the same output (I've tried to calibrate but the issue still stands)
- the wiring from the throttles through the unit is not secure or clear of moving parts. This has the effect of random signal spasms, and consequent throttle bashing from idle-max etc at a rapid pace. Unpredictable, and when I fly the Spit (left for RPM, right for throttle) it is essentially unflyable
- the finger lifts are required to be pulled up to push into afterburner. This is inaccurate and annoying...the real aircraft requires a push through a minor detent..the ONLY time the finger lifts are touched are for engine shutdown. This is obviously a design flaw more than build quality, but must be rectified.
- Comm switch and radar elevation wheel are not spring loaded to center like they should be
- Comm switch is only 3 way (Comm1, OFF, Comm2) and it should be 5way as previously mentioned (Comm1, MidsA, MidsB, Comm2, Off)
- Speedbrake switch is only 2 way, it needs to be 3 way (extend, off, retract)
- Cage/uncage switch should be the same switch as the ATC and RAID/FLIR buttons (it is some random cheap button atm)

Like I said, I believe this I have more of a prototype, and Roberto has accepted to help fix the issues, so don't pass too much judgement. I actually think it is a beautiful product, just needs to be tweaked. I am also sourcing some genuine switches and hopefully Throttletek agree to modify my unit to make it more accurate. Will keep y'all updated.
When I was putting together my build with Roberto he mentioned that he had improved the design of the throttle by making "Mechanical changes on the afterburner detent instead of having to pull on the engine cutoff handles. (correction of the f18 pilot)", so it looks like that design change has been implemented thanks to you.

Regarding the rest of the items (sans the switches, since I have provided my own to Roberto) I will follow up with him to make sure your recommendations/revisions are included in my build. Appreciate you taking the time to make such a detailed posted

Also, FWIW buying the real Otto SL (slider) series switches for things like the speedbrake and ECM dispense have a price of >$250 for each switch...not sure what your budget is, but there are other Otto mil-spec switches that don't look exactly the same but should do the trick that can be had for $50-100 instead. The Comms switch (5-way) was the most expensive I had to purchase, and that was ~$160...all others were $60 or less. The Otto P1 push buttons can be found for <$20, usually.

On Order:

VR Rig:

Last edited by =Buckeye=; 07-19-2018 at 01:39 PM.