[NO BUG] Cockpit Lighting Rheostats

Captain Orso

I'm not sure if this is a bug or WAD, but it seems odd enough to mention.

When you turn a rheostat from Off to On, the lighting goes from off to immediately fully on and then dims as you continue turning the switch. It's the same for both left and right sides. Shouldn't they go from off, to very dim and increase illumination as you continue turning them?

Both also turn far to quickly to be able to adjust them reasonably with a key press or controller button.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think I've ever seen a rheostat that actually goes from off to fully on and then dims. I imagine you could build one like that... but why? It would also be really bad for the pilot. Imagine flying at dusk and needing a bit more light to see your map and *BAM* you flash your eyes with a bright light, and suddenly you're blind in the dim light.

I'm not using the mouse to adjust the lighting. I'm using my TM HOTAS.

This is a general issue with a lot of dials. Some I can mod, so that I have a slow and a fast change. Some cannot be modded well or at all. I'll have to put in an RFI for this issue.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• ED Team

This is how it works (see attach).

The rheostat has a gap in resistor track near to end where positive connection is. So when moving contact piece goes to right, brightness grows up to maximal value and then completely off (when moving contact piece went to right of the gap).

It may looks unusual but it is.

Rheostat.jpg.e05de94b48f660fbac37c68363c625c8.jpg

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince.